Author Topic: circular walks around the purbecks  (Read 4918 times)

silverfox

circular walks around the purbecks
« on: 17:59:34, 11/02/15 »
Hi All,

Looking to go for a hike this coming weekend and as I love the purbecks can any one suggest a good circular walk? Upto 10 miles ish would be good.

Cheers john.

pgt

Re: circular walks around the purbecks
« Reply #1 on: 15:23:28, 12/02/15 »
Start at Kingston. Then Swyre Head - Kimmeridge and then down to the coast and back along the coat path.
I found this website which dives some more details.
http://saranwylie.weebly.com/blog/kimmeridge-loop-10-miles-and-the-mighty-houns-tout

pgt

« Reply #2 on: 15:29:15, 12/02/15 »
On that website they talk about Kingston Matravers but as far as I know it's just called Kingston.
There's a free Car Park just up the road from the Scott Arms.

Bimbling Jean

« Reply #3 on: 20:40:56, 12/02/15 »
The Purbeck way is a nice walk starting from Ballard Down along to Corfe - you can then follow trail down to Chapman's pool and return via Worth Maltravers (stopping at the Square and Compass pub for refreshment) and return to Swanage via Priest's Way. Think it would be considerably longer than 10 miles though but there is the railway between Corfe and Swanage.

http://ww.dorsetforyou.com/purbeckway
The longest journey starts with a single step

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:53:58, 13/02/15 »
Don't forget the heathlands to the east of Old Harry for contrast with the ups and downs of the coast to the west. Totally different colours and wildlife. If you have a map then you'll find the paths on the Isle of Purbeck well maintained and signposted so working out a route to take in varied scenery is not too difficult. The pub at Studland usually has a roaring log fire and good food. www.bankesarms.com
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

silverfox

« Reply #5 on: 11:02:02, 05/03/15 »
Just thought id post a reply. Decided to walk a path from Durelston in Swanage along the coastal path to winspit. From there inland to worth and a visit to the square and compass for a well earned pasty and pint. Then after recharging, back along the priest way and out on to the coastal path and back. Fabulous walk wth some stunning views and lovely sun shine.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:23:32, 05/03/15 »
Hooray for the Square & Compasses :D for their pasties and especially for Westons 7.2% pear cider :D :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

silverfox

« Reply #7 on: 12:36:02, 06/03/15 »
Thats hard core Jac. I just kept to the copper ale!!! Lovely place to stop thou.

Bimbling Jean

« Reply #8 on: 19:35:45, 09/03/15 »
One shivery February I sampled two halves of mulled cider at Square and Compass and my tongue started to go numb - feared the effects of moonshine until I realised it was the cloves spiking the cider that were to blame - mind you the return route along the priest's Way seemed a bit of a zig zag!! Such a lightweight ;D ::)
The longest journey starts with a single step

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy