Author Topic: Dunkery Beacon - Exmoor National Park  (Read 5721 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Dunkery Beacon - Exmoor National Park
« on: 21:56:34, 09/01/08 »
Working away sometimes gives you the opportunity to walk and area which is normally way out of reach and after a 7hour drive i arrived in Minehead at 2:00.  I set off quickly for Duncan Beacon and arrived at the  Dunkery Gate National Trust car park at 2:45.

The weather looked good so i set off  NW up the path to bag the highest hill in Exmoor National Park. The climb has relatively easy although i was going at a very fast walking pace due to my limited time frame. It took about 30mins to get to the peak and i found probably the largest cairn i have ever seen on the summit. It was a mini scramble to get to the top. All summits should be like this, its much more fun than a boring trig point.

I posed for the usual photos and sat chilling out on the top for half an hour just taking in the views and my chicken sarnies.  From the summit i could see another hill to the east about 2km away with a cairn and it had something near the summit which i could not for the life of me make out. It looked like a few upturned chairs scattered on the summit. . I decided to walk to it as i wanted my walk to continue right upto darkness kicking in, plus i wanted to know what them damn chair figures were.

I approached the hill from the east and made it to the top but i could not find the chair like figures. So i decided to climb up the reasnably sized cairn, just as my eye line came over the top of the cairn i spotted an amazing site, 2o wild deer about 1oo metres away. I could not  beleive my luck, the figures in the distance which looked like upturned chairs were the deers antlers. I watched them for a minute staying completly still, then one of the deer caught my scent on the wind and they made an exit. I quickly grabbed my camera and managed to get a shot of them just as they dissapeared out of sight.

If i have learned something on this walk it is to look around as you walk and maybe go and have a look at something which you may not of planned for.

It started raining quite heavy and the light was fading so i quickly retraced my steps and made my way back to the car, over the moon that i had bagged another hill and saw wild deer for the first time.

Exmoor National park looked beutifal i cannot wait to return and see some more of the area. Lets hope work send me back sometime soon.

Total walking time around 1h 45mins and i estimate roughly 6km including somer diversions at a very fast walking pace. Dunkery Beacon is 1704 feet and is the highest Marliyn classed hill in Region 41.

Photos can be found on my blog http://ukmase.wordpress.com/

Hope you enjoy, leave a comment if you like  8) 8) 8)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Dunkery Beacon - Exmoor National Park
« Reply #1 on: 22:14:26, 09/01/08 »
Dunkery Beacon is on my list of things to do - it might be quite a while till I get there, though...
I was interested to read about it - it seems to be a bit neglected just recently.
Will you be bagging any more hills around there?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:07:12, 18/01/08 »
Excellent write up, UKmase,

You lucky s@d with the wild deer. I came across a baby deer once when walking through Dalby Forest, the poor thing just kind of looked up at me thinking: "[censored]! Human!".

One thing though, on your blog the pictures just came up as thumbnails, and I couldn't look at them properly. One or two would, but most wouldn't??

Anyway, nice report. Well done.  O0

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:54:40, 20/01/08 »
I am still a novice at using my blog. Lets just say the photoside is a sort of work in progress.  8)

shortlegstomper

« Reply #4 on: 11:02:59, 01/11/08 »
Tutt tutt as a Somerset man I must point out that Dunkery Beacon is in Somerset and this has appeared on a Devon forum.....not good!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:12:22, 01/11/08 »
Doesn't seem to be a Somerset region in walkingforum...   

If Somerset gets one, mind, we want one for County Durham.   ::)

Oooo aarrr...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy