Author Topic: Pennine way  (Read 10154 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine way
« Reply #30 on: 10:06:55, 11/06/19 »
Totally agree with you, the Tan Hill to Middleton section is the pits! The last time I chose to avoid it and walked the alternative route to Bowes, much better.
The secret of crossing Sleightholme Moor is the same as the secret of comedy......timing!  After a dry spell it is absolutely fine but you do have to able to read the ground conditions rather than just following the path.  I used to park at Bowes, walk to Tan Hill for a pint and then return via the alternative route on the shooters’/cycle track.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:23:54, 11/06/19 »
I don’t think of myself as a strong walker, more a maybe slightly above average walker! We walked the Pennine Way over 20 days but that included a short 6 mile day to Malham and a rest day in Alston. So I would think you could probably easily do it in 15/16 days. The miles do seem to get easier the further you go as you get used to it.  I was surprised that I managed Dufton to Alston better than I thought.

Sleightholme Moor - I tried to persuade hubby that the road would be a better bet but he wasn’t having it! We had to stick to the official route. Actually it wasn’t too bad, as it hadn’t rained too much before then, it was further north when the bogs were worse - Padon Hill, and yes we had to do that too, not take the forest road!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:47:09, 11/06/19 »
Padon Hill, I remember that place the first time I did the route. All I got was wet feet! When I walked to Edinburgh recently on the Pennine Way from Hadrians Wall I walked the road route, so much better!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:43:01, 11/06/19 »
Road route around Paddon is definitely easier  O0
Where there's a will ...

JerryW

« Reply #34 on: 20:54:28, 17/07/19 »
Slightly bemused to read the negative comments about Sleightholme, I loved that bit! Loved Tan Hill Inn, too.. The only bit of the whole PW that I did not like was ploughing through the endless fir plantations north of Hadrian's Wall..
I am walking the PW for the third time this September .. N to S this time.

I am keen to get suggestions for accommodation. Where have you stayed that you liked? A lot of the places I've stayed previously seem to have shut. I will be staying at the Foresters in Byrness, and have accommodation in Edale and Kirk Yetholm booked .. I have a tent, and plan to more or less alternate between that and b&b or similar.
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:07:26, 18/07/19 »
For camping, I tried the campsite just before Bellingem (when hiking S to N) for the first time earlier this year and I thought it was far better than the one in the centre of town.

JerryW

« Reply #36 on: 20:38:21, 15/08/19 »
For camping, I tried the campsite just before Bellingem (when hiking S to N) for the first time earlier this year and I thought it was far better than the one in the centre of town.
Thank you .. trying to pin it down. Is it this one?
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/northumberland/hexham/bellingham-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/?_$ja=tsid:61182|cgn:directorylink|kw:Bellingham

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:34:34, 15/08/19 »
Yes, that's the one. The lady behind the desk directed me to a wonderful little spot, I slept soundly the whole night! It was a good spot for me, I wandered into town had a meal and a couple of pints and then the stroll back meant I didn't go to bed feeling too full up.

JerryW

« Reply #38 on: 21:56:42, 15/08/19 »
Brill, thanks GWM .. any more suggestions, anyone?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:49:04, 16/08/19 »
I've never stayed there but on the way south, just after Byrness, there is a nicely manicured lawned caravan campsite, you can get in easily from the Pennine Way itself via their back gate, the front gate fronts onto the A68 main road. When I passed it last time it looked good from the PW path and they were charging £8 for hikers that walk in with a rucksack.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:05:53, 16/08/19 »
From what I understand the Padon Hill route has been much improved with a gravel type path. It is a shame that the PW Association had to close as it was a source of much information and latest news.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 17:27:20, 18/09/19 »
Can anyone recommend a good guide book for the PW? I've done a fair few bits of it over the years, more by default than planning. But a mate and I are thinking of doing more of it as days out and weekends away, with a view to doing the whole thing in our retirement.
SO. Any recommendations for a guide?

As a 'day walker' doing the PW when able/weather decent, obviously taking sometime!

Live Northern England, basically walked from Hawes to Chew Green near Byrness, if I can provide any assistance from my walks for your 'days out' I'd be happy to assist.

One of the major benefits is being able to undertake walks when weather has been dry i.e. Sleighthome to Tan Hill done early May 2017, very dry, sky full of Oyster Catchers, Curlew and Lapwings putting on an amazing display. Absolutely loved it!
« Last Edit: 17:38:37, 18/09/19 by Dodgylegs »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:19:46, 18/09/19 »
Sorry, can't help with a guide but the AZ map company sell a good map of the route, two of them A5 sized.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:58:07, 18/09/19 »
The Pennine Way was my first LDP, I bought the Trailblazer Guide which got me from end to end without a problem although to be fair I used the OS maps as well!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy