Author Topic: Shorter gaiters  (Read 2704 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Shorter gaiters
« Reply #15 on: 15:52:56, 14/05/19 »
Puttees were good against snakes too - I never got bitten once.  In fact, they were so good I never even saw one while I was wearing them.  Mind you - it could have been the blast proof doors helped a bit.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:07:02, 14/05/19 »
That is a blast from the past, puttees that is  ;D

Had forgotten all about them. 
Where there's a will ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:44:00, 14/05/19 »
While we're on the subject, I've never understood the point of gaiters with regard to wet.  If it's raining or I'm walking through wet vegetation I put my waterproof trousers on.  The only gaiters I get the point of are the very light, non-waterproof ankle gaiters which fell runners wear to keep stones out of their shoes.  I wear shorts a lot of the time so this makes sense to me.  What am I missing?

I wear gaiters if it's likely to be wet or muddy because they prevent water and mud getting into my boots over the top. I'm not confident that waterproof trousers would be as effective in that respect.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:48:02, 14/05/19 »
While we're on the subject, I've never understood the point of gaiters with regard to wet.  If it's raining or I'm walking through wet vegetation I put my waterproof trousers on.  The only gaiters I get the point of are the very light, non-waterproof ankle gaiters which fell runners wear to keep stones out of their shoes.  I wear shorts a lot of the time so this makes sense to me.  What am I missing?

Snow down the top of your boots is what you will get if your gaiters are missing, Dave. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

AFANASIEW

« Reply #19 on: 22:49:52, 14/05/19 »

Snow down the top of your boots is what you will get if your gaiters are missing, Dave. :)

Whereas in summertime... I  might well follow Dave's example and use waterproof trousers instead of gaiters for wet grass.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

dave_p

« Reply #20 on: 13:25:47, 15/05/19 »

I've never had a problem with that.  Except in the most minor way when walking through very deep but slightly wet snow for a long time.  I can see the point of them in that case.  What does perplex me though is seeing sunday ramblers walking along pretty good paths in summer with gaiters on and big heavy boots which look about 20 years old.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #21 on: 14:17:45, 15/05/19 »
I was doing a 26 mile training walk Saturday when I came across a Howard and Hilda couple wearing the works, including gaiters and waterproof jackets, not to mention the de rigeur poles - on a perfectly dry day. Got the kit, might as well show it off!
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:16:17, 15/05/19 »
I was doing a 26 mile training walk Saturday when I came across a Howard and Hilda couple wearing the works, including gaiters and waterproof jackets, not to mention the de rigeur poles - on a perfectly dry day. Got the kit, might as well show it off!
Are more charitable soul might think that H & H were experienced walkers who had not long set off and were feeling the cold and knew that their route would need gaiters.
If I know I am likely to need gaiters I often put them on beforehand.  I can do it in more comfort and before my boots get mucky. I also walk with the de rigeur poles, I prefer them, doesn’t make me a bad person.  Mrs N does not run as hot as me and often wears her jacket when I am already down to my base layer top.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:40:22, 15/05/19 »
  What does perplex me though is seeing sunday ramblers walking along pretty good paths in summer with gaiters on and big heavy boots which look about 20 years old.
Why should we not wear gaiters on Sundays?
How often do we have to change perfectly comfortable boots.?

When we do purchase to meet regulation age what weight do they have to be?
Too little, too late, too bad......

dave_p

« Reply #24 on: 13:22:30, 22/05/19 »
Why should we not wear gaiters on Sundays?
How often do we have to change perfectly comfortable boots.?

When we do purchase to meet regulation age what weight do they have to be?

1.  Wear them if you want to.  I reserve the right to be perplexed.
2.  When they're worn out.  If they aren't worn out in 20 years, then you can't be wearing them much. 
3.  I don't understand this question.

Point is: big heavy (therefore sweaty) boots on a fine warm day, when strolling along a metalled path in a country park, strikes me as odd.  To me it looks like the wearer has put on their walking uniform with no regard to whether it's suitable.  But to each their own...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:47:50, 22/05/19 »
Dave, I've only got one pair of boots that have to do for everything all the year round.  Sometimes you will see me wearing my big leather boots (they're big because my feet are big, wouldn't fit otherwise) on a metalled path - but you may not see me when I turn off it and head off across country.  Of course I could carry a change of footwear.................
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:52:43, 22/05/19 »
All my shoes and boots are big and wide, whether they are made of leather or not. If they weren’t this way, it would be very painful for me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy