Author Topic: Kjerag Norway  (Read 15457 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Kjerag Norway
« on: 10:17:07, 03/08/09 »
Well I paid for all the better weather earlier in the week and got absolutely soaked yesterday. I drove a couple of hours down to the Eagle's Nest near Lysebotn to visit one of Norways most famous attractions. I pretty much knew my fate beforehand and just accepted that I'd get wet. Unfortunately so did my camera, and the shots I was hoping for turned into a bit of a damp squib. So I will have to revisit here when I can.

Kjerag is a 1000m high cliff that falls vertically straight down to the fjord below - it's a favourite haunt of base jumpers. But yesterday with the rain came a gale force wind, which kept me well away from the edge and from standing on the kjeragbolten....not suprising when you know there was nothing but fresh air underneath it :o :o

Here are a few misty pics:-

There were tiny stone cairns buillt everywhere you looked - looks like a lot of litter really - glad people don't do this up in the lake district

The start of the walk goes up steeply, and they have installed steel posts and chain - although there are several sections missing. You could walk without holding on on the way up, but coming down they were very handy.

Looking back down to the cafe at Eagles Nest with Lysebotn far below

You can see the path coming down the hill opposite. The locals go swimming in the small tarn

Once up on top there was a couple of miles along bare rock, following the red T markers - easy enough going but not so good with the strong wind blowing down the slopes towards the big drops

A handy signposted cairn that directed me towards kjeragbolten

a scramble down a gorge and there it is - no way I was standing on this today - and there wasn't anyone around to take a picture anyway - everyone else had gone back.

close up it looks scary enough, but there is a little ledge to step across onto the boulder - wet and windy - no thanks

this is the closest to the edge I could get - that's a car ferry crossing the picture 1000m below

on the way back it didn't let up, but my Berghaus paclites withstood everything thrown at it - except the wind on which was trying to blow open the velcro strips on my coat.

This is the helter skelter road that runs down the mountain through tunnels and big hairpin bends - I went the other way.

genji

• Account Closed
Re: Kjerag Norway
« Reply #1 on: 10:42:47, 03/08/09 »
Beautiful but terrifying. Did you have your camera on the end of a long pole to get those shots?

I just tried to find them on photobucket to link a smaller size version and found this:

I need to lie down for a bit.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:52:00, 03/08/09 »
A long arm was the best I could do. But there was no way I was going closer to the edge with the wind behind - I tried but decided I'd rather return another time. Looks great in clear weather though...just don't look down. Apparently the scariest thing is when it's busy, there is only a narrow ledge to walk along to the boulder....you have to shuffle past other's waiting their turn :o

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:19:13, 03/08/09 »
Grief.....

Is there an underwear shop in the vicinity?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 17:29:47, 05/08/09 »
Are you going here (Prekestolen)?

Crazy Norwegians.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:35:42, 05/08/09 »
I am eventually, but not this trip - apparently it's a bit like Blackpool at the weekend - very very busy. But impressive none the less. To get there involves a ferry trip. I think I'll go when it gets a bit quieter....but not when it's covered with snow and ice..

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:17:32, 09/08/09 »
Pete how much of a drop beneath the trapped boulder?.Great photos thanks for sharing.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:42:19, 09/08/09 »
Max - Only 3,228ft before you would hit the water...... :o :o

...only sunshine and dry weather would have persuaded me out onto the boulder...

see you Wednesday...good weather on the way O0

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:13:27, 10/08/09 »
Yes the forecast is favorable and i cant wait,got a bit of a climbing challenge lined up so i hope its dry so that somebody tries it,dont forget your camera.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:08:33, 02/12/09 »
really enjoyed these photos of norway mate would love to be let loose with my camera over there ..........no chance of me getting on that chock stone though  :D ...was in stockholm a few years very expensive is norway the same....take care cozza O0
little victorys

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:25:16, 02/12/09 »
...was in stockholm a few years very expensive is norway the same....take care cozza O0

Put it this way Cozza - at the present exchange rate, a pint of not very good beer is about £10 and a burger and chips about £15. But if you don't eat or drink for a while the views are fantastic!

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:18:54, 02/12/09 »
 ;D  looks like ill have to put some overtime in and go on a diet and leave of the captain morgans looks a fantastic place take care cozza O0

Put it this way Cozza - at the present exchange rate, a pint of not very good beer is about £10 and a burger and chips about £15. But if you don't eat or drink for a while the views are fantastic!
little victorys

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:25:01, 06/12/09 »
Great pics, shame about the weather but then you'd probably have had all those people in the way.  ::)
~
Sue

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:07:18, 06/12/09 »
Is it me, or is there a ruddy great big crack right across that rock?  There are so many things to exclaim about on there.

1.  2 people sat right on the corners, one with their back to the drop.
2 the one i think is really funny is the person about 20 feet back from the front on the right hand side lying flat peeking over the edge.
3. the girl? in black looking like she's running alonge the front edge!
4. the person sat on the right with their legs hanging over the side!!

What a great place  O0

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:46:31, 07/12/09 »
Your'e right Pearsy - there is a great big crack across, and they are monitoring it for any movement. That rock also slopes a little. I'll be up there next spring or summer hopefully and will post pictures from the edge looking down.. :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy