Author Topic: mountain walks in germany  (Read 5399 times)

the coot

Re: mountain walks in germany
« Reply #15 on: 11:56:25, 19/01/10 »
As a quick aside, I've just found this, it is in German unfortunately, but has some good links
http://www.fernwege.de/d/rhwl/index.html

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:00:39, 22/01/10 »
There are loads of mountain huts marked on the map.  Does anyone know if these are Alpine style huts with accommodation or are they more like Scottish bothies?

Having walked in other areas of Germany, and knowing the people a little through my daughter-in-law and her family, I would seriously doubt whether anything there would be as basic as the Scottish Bothy  :o

Not that I have ANYTHING to say against those fine and spartan shelters or the MBA -  8)

Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:26:54, 23/01/10 »
i enjoyed looking at these sites thanks....cozza O0
I spent three weeks in East Germany in September, staying with friends in Dresden, and did a lot of walking/climbing in the fantastic Saxon Switzerland area (in Germany, nothing to do with Switzerland other than possibly some vague historic reason for being named as such), as well as cycling down to the Erzgebirge.

Highly recommended, and I certainly want to go back to go to see more of Germany!

Photos here:
Drei Wochen in Deutschland
Drei Wochen in Deutschland II
Drei Wochen in Deutschland III
 :)
little victorys

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:28:14, 23/01/10 »
very good thanks for the help cozza O0
As a quick aside, I've just found this, it is in German unfortunately, but has some good links
http://www.fernwege.de/d/rhwl/index.html
little victorys

alexw123

« Reply #19 on: 17:07:44, 06/08/10 »

Having walked in other areas of Germany, and knowing the people a little through my daughter-in-law and her family, I would seriously doubt whether anything there would be as basic as the Scottish Bothy  :o

Not that I have ANYTHING to say against those fine and spartan shelters or the MBA -  8)

I finally chose to walk the first half of the Rheinsteig starting Wiesbaden and finishing in Filsen on the way to Bonn.

I'll write an account of it when I get a chance, but I solved the question of the huts.  There are numerous shelters - usually open on at least one side - which aren't intended as overnight stops, but would keep the rain off if required.  No facilities though and I suspect passing Germans would be unhappy at them being used for an overnight bivvy.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:26:34, 07/08/10 »
There are numerous shelters - usually open on at least one side - which aren't intended as overnight stops, but would keep the rain off if required.  No facilities though and I suspect passing Germans would be unhappy at them being used for an overnight bivvy.

I'd be surprised if anyone minded, a lot of them get used for people sleeping at night. Mostly younger people and mostly after a few cans and a campfire, they're harmless enough but you may not get a lot of sleep  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy