Author Topic: Your greatest wild camping memories :)  (Read 5744 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Re: Your greatest wild camping memories :)
« Reply #60 on: 14:43:13, 13/10/20 »
Amazing adventures continue!

Just wondering who took photo...Crossing this massive snowfield just after the summit of the pass. Frozen surface, easy with micro spikes?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 15:20:50, 13/10/20 »
I wish it was me, but it wasn't!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 14:30:50, 13/11/20 »

Just wondering who took photo...Crossing this massive snowfield just after the summit of the pass. Frozen surface, easy with micro spikes?

Well spotted! I took the photo. The hikers on this photo are not me and the other guy but two people who crossed the pass before us. I liked that because it makes the picture nicer.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 18:29:13, 16/11/20 »
Another camp that I will never forget was in the Northern Cascades in Washington State. I was in the last week of my PCT hike, on 16 Sept 2018, and during the day I had run into the first blizzard of the season. It was a complete white-out, just when I was on the top of a mountain pass. But fortunately it didn't last long. After a while the snow just turned into miserable rain. At least I could see the trail again and where I was heading!

Just when it was getting dark, I found rare dry ground under some trees and pitched my tent. But then I discovered that close to my tent the ground was smouldering! How fire could have started there, I have no idea. Anyway, I was afraid that it could turn into a fire overnight while I was sleeping, which would be extremely dangerous. So I made a few sorties to a nearby 'stream' that had formed because of the rain to fetch water to properly extinguish it. Not much fun because I was very tired after a long hiking day with lots of climbing and descending and it was almost dark, but it had to be done.

During the night there was lots of rain that froze on my tent. No problem, I was warm and dry and really enjoyed the night in my cosy little tent! Gradually the rain turned into snow again. The next morning I woke up with a blue sky and sunshine! What a change from the miserable rain for days on end! But when I wanted to exit my tent, I couldn't because the zippers had frozen! I had to wait for the sun to thaw it (actually I could have got out of my tent if I really wanted to, by pulling out a peg and crawl under the flysheet).

When I got out of my tent, I was stunned by the beautiful winter wonderland!

The sun shines! And along the trail I saw a deer jumping around in the snow.

Starting the descend, it's a bit tricky because the steep switchbacks are still covered by virgin snow. But soon at lower elevation the snow gets thinner. Eventually I enter a wonderful fairy-tale forest!

The snow melts and evaporates quickly in the sun. “Steam” is coming from the trees, which leads to this beautiful play of light!

When I pitch my tent at Cloudy Pass at the end of the day, I realise that I haven't seen a single person the entire day. I had all this beauty all for myself! And I felt so happy. It was wonderful! :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 22:03:41, 17/11/20 »
I remember taking a rest day somewhere north of Chamonix. I came across a tourist plateau of car parks and eating places where hang gliders took off from a large flat rock, I hadn't planned it, I just walked into the area, I just can't remember the place name? Towards dusk, I wandered to the very bottom edge of the grassed area and set my tent up behind a large tree looking out towards another grassed area and a couple of small fields.

During the night I woke suddenly (it was pitch black) because I heard what I thought was screaming some distance away. After listening intently, I then realised it was horses 'screaming' and it went on for ages. It was most unnerving.

In the morning I dropped in at a local cafe for breakfast and was told by the owner that the 'screaming' was the sound of local horses being harrassed by wild boar. I didn't know that wild boar were in this area before I pitched my tent the evening before. Sometimes its better to find these things out in daylight.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 22:36:02, 17/11/20 »
During the night I woke suddenly (it was pitch black) because I heard what I thought was screaming some distance away. After listening intently, I then realised it was horses 'screaming' and it went on for ages. It was most unnerving.

I know this has nothing at all todo with this but....

Coming out of the co-op, which is in a large housing estate, there was loud noise, just like when the hooter used to sound for end of a works shift. A lady was walking past, what is that I asked? I can tell you as I've actually walked nearby to it.... a large dog is howling as it's bored! Amazing sound!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy