Author Topic: Wide fitting NON Gore-tex mid height boots  (Read 1478 times)

JSSmith

Wide fitting NON Gore-tex mid height boots
« on: 18:31:03, 03/01/20 »
Hi,
Call me frustrated, I have odd feet. My right foot is measured as wide size 44 (European) and left is measured as 44 standard. So I can live in my Salomon Ultra GTX WIDE 44 in the winter with mismatched socks but come the spring I get heat rash on my feet up to my mid shin whether I walk in shorts or not. So I bought Merell Moab ventilators, 44 medium and got the mother of all blisters on the right foot. I keep looking but no WIDE NON Gore-tex boot seems to exist. They either finished production or are back supply for the military. Any suggestions gratefully received

motorlaunch

Re: Wide fitting NON Gore-tex mid height boots
« Reply #1 on: 18:46:49, 03/01/20 »
Back in the seventies I used a pair of Walsh's  fell boots for Summer walking on all terrains. Something similar are still available.
https://www.normanwalshuk.com/product-page/rapier-black-khaki

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 19:36:28, 03/01/20 »
Ooops, wrong post.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:50:33, 04/01/20 »
There is a WIDE version of the Merrel Moab Ventilator available but it seems to be an American import with extremely limited availability in the UK - a couple of odd sizes available on Amazon.co.uk. You may have more success looking on amazon.com just bear in mind that American sizing is different to UK sizing and there may also be import duty and VAT to pay. It may be worth contacting Merrell in the UK for some advice on UK availablility of the WIDE fitting version of the Merrel Moab Ventilator https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/content?caid=cs-contact-us

This earlier thread may be worth a read and give one or two pointers to unlined boots available in the UK http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38921.0

The Meindl Bernina 2 (Comfort fit) and some of the Hanwag leather lined range available in a wide fit may be worth a look but I would suggest that you will probably need to change the cork/fleece insole in the Meindl Bernina and be prepared to increase your budget significantly if you start looking at leather/leather lined options.

If you are prepared to increase your budget I would highly recommend a visit to Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/ and I cannot recommend their boot fitting service highly enough. Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and services and are highly recommended by many other forum members. If you ever get up to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales it's well worth making a detour for a boot fitting appointment.

A simple change of sock may cure your summer heat rash problem as if you aren't affected in the winter you shouldn't really be affected in the summer if you're wearing appropriate socks.

JSSmith

« Reply #4 on: 17:29:58, 04/01/20 »
Thank you Kinkyboots for the lead on the various options. I will let you know how I get on.

JSSmith

« Reply #5 on: 21:45:07, 06/01/20 »
So in the end I have listened to the advice about why leather lined boots would be as hot as Gore-tex lined boots and I have opted for the Merrell Moab wide from Amazon.com. I have to wait ten days for delivery and pay £35.00 than a UK supplier but Merrell customer support have remained tight lipped as to why they do not ship wide variants into Europe.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:55:41, 06/01/20 »
I found Merrell MOAB II boots to be a wide fitting. Of all the lightweight boots I tried on (and I tried a lot), these were the only boots I could find with a wide enough toe box (UK 12 US13). I normally take a wide / extra wide fitting in shoes and have wide fitting Altberg leather boots.

mow1701

« Reply #7 on: 09:35:00, 11/01/20 »
Altberg boots come in different width fittings and would thoroughly recommend. I used all year round and don’t have problem with fit or overheating. Altberg Fremington good for general hike( used on Pennine Way, Cape Wrath and other LDP). Altberg Tethera good for mountain walking-Lakes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy