Author Topic: 3 peaks - do able by a child?  (Read 3584 times)

sharky

3 peaks - do able by a child?
« on: 14:23:35, 17/04/08 »
Hi, I am doing the 3 peaks this summer with my brother in law.

My son wants to do it - he is 10.

No walking background but he is fit - goes to athletics, swimming etc etc

He is pestering to do it

can he?
should he?

suggestions please - thanks

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: 3 peaks - do able by a child?
« Reply #1 on: 17:24:10, 17/04/08 »
How upset would you and your brother in law be if you had to stop because he was tired?

I probably would not take my 10 year old, particularly not as his first walk ever. Walking is very different to other forms of exercise as you are looking at hours rather than minutes of exertion. You also have to get your children in to the correct mind set, we go 'walking' when every tree can be climbed and stream investigated or we go what we call 'serious walking' with a clear objective in mind. The kids enjoy both but they know the difference.

It is great that he is so keen but I think you may be setting him up to fail which would be a shame, can you promise him to do 1 of the hills at a specific date in the future?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:10:12, 17/04/08 »
I agree with what Ridge is saying  - a lot depends on the personal ambitions of the two adults involved - its a tough walk and the main personal attributes for success are physical and mental stamina. Its hard to see how a ten year old would have the physical stamina - he's just unlikely to have the body to do it - so any personal adult ambitions would have to be sidelined if you're going to let the lad have a go at this (not to say that one of the adults could fail as well!)
But - If he's determined, then I would let him have a go, since much of this sort of thing is in the mind anyway. Do as much training as possible before you go - lots of distance walking (which might change his mind!)
Personally, I'd be persuading somebody to drive a support car for any of the three participants who might need to drop out - there's enough reasons for even the big lads to be unable to finish (Ive done this walk six times successfully and "failed" twice - once cos it was too hot, and once cos it was too wet) It shouldnt be beyond the wit of any parent to be able to "manage" the situation so as not to affect the morale of the lad should he need to drop out. Its all about pre-loading the psychology.
There's good reasons for letting him have a crack - not least the bond that this sort of thing creates and strengthens. Its the sort of thing that people joke about at family christmasses twenty or thirty years on. Its just too good an opportunity in my opinion.
Phew- long answer - I'm tired out now!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:50:47, 17/04/08 »
Hi I'm with the others on this one.I take my ten year old out with me.Last week he was all fired up to climb Cader Idris with me.Bless him he only made it half way up and was begging to go back down...his legs couldn't take any more and hes fairly fit.

Maybe you could take him on a practice walk to see how far he gets.Its a fairly tough walk for little legs.

sharky

« Reply #4 on: 09:01:57, 18/04/08 »
Thanks all (I particularly like the "christmas in 20 years time" story)

When I say he doesn't have a walking background - he canwalk and does so on say bank holiday family walks etc but we don't generally take him every weekend...

He is not the running around, climbing up trees type of kid - he is probably the oldest 10 year old I have ever known but I accept that walking is different to say athletics. (which he takes deadly seriously..)

We will have back up on the 3 peaks so bailing out can obviously be managed.

We are taking him out tomorrow (weather permitting) with the sole intention of trying to "knock his duck off". We intend to do a short (5 mile) but tough circuit round edale and Barber Booth

If he comes back bouncing off the walls having loved it- then he gets the same next week. ;)

If he can't stand it then nothing really lost.  After 2 or 3 weeks more of this - we will all be in a better position to make an informed decision.

I don't want to kill his enthusiasm for walking or sport generally - (he really loves his athletics) but at the same time, do whats best for all of us.

hmmm parental dilema

will keep you posted...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy