Author Topic: [Trip Report] Whernside from Ribblehead  (Read 6486 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Whernside from Ribblehead
« on: 20:57:12, 03/01/08 »
This walk was undertaken October 4th 2007. Weather was raining initially, but brightened up later on. Part of our epic trek in and around Yorkshire.

8.4Miles in total.

Equipment. Boots (although Approach shoes could have been a goer here), warm and waterproof clothing in the ruck just in case. Snacks by KP  ;D.

--------------------------------------------------

At long last a friend and I tackle the easiest (comparatively of course) of the Yorkshire Three peaks. Now I know Whernside doesn't have the oomph of Pen-Y-Ghent and the views from Ingleborough, and vice versa, but we'd just spent all day tramping around York and it's many attractions*, plus we'd previously expended significant effort climbing the Old Man of Coniston (as it happened the hard way) and spending a huge amount of cash on Gingerbread in Grassmere.

So we though we need a challenge, we need something good, but we needed it comparatively easy as well. So Whernside it was. A good choice as well, despite the weathers initial showing Whernside was a nice, moderately challenging walk.

As ever we start at the car (well walking from Kirkby Malzeard would have been just too much). For the sake of completeness I've included a map route but it's really not required on Whernside as all routes are very well signposted and pretty obvious. I mean even we found the start of this walk with no problems.

The footpath takes you very near the famous Ribblehead Viaduct, and mighty impressive it is too, as I hope the photographs testify. As this Is a working viaduct the occasional train whizzes by and you have the usual railway paraphernalia (Signal boxes etc). Thankfully these have been sympathetically treated so still fit in with the surroundings.

So far all is pretty easy and flat. However as you cross the railway, things starts to become more hilly. More uppy-downy (technical term, stop me if it gets too much  ;) ) as you start the climb to Whernsides summit proper.

Thankfully it hadn't been raining too much (only really spits and spots as we arrived) the waterfalls weren't in full flow, so you'll have to imagine what they looked like as I haven't posted them here.  ;D

There were a few other walkers around so after a short while we picked a spot roughly halfway up to have a bite to eat, take a few snaps and gather our strength for the final leg to the top.

* Pubs.
© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:36:23, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Whernside from Ribblehead
« Reply #1 on: 08:27:27, 04/01/08 »
Part 2...

Well I say halfway up. The main thing about Whernside is not how high it is as such, as it's the highest of the three peaks at 736M, but that it seems to go on for ever. Especially when approached from the footpath we took.

This is a little dispiriting, especially when dog walkers come ambling past looking like they've just popped to the shops whilst you're busy trying to stop your lungs from exploding. However this pales into insignificance when compared to the view across the valley towards Pen-Y-Ghent and the viaduct.

Eventually we made it to the top. Whernside has two circular, walled seating areas - quite unusual really and a welcome sight. Sadly one was full of water and the other full of people so we didn't linger too long before heading back down..

Heading down the Southern flank we considered the more direct approach downwards but gave it up as a bad job (as the route map shows). Some other walkers took it on however, and ofcourse when we met up with them at the bottom said it was easy.

Still getting down is easier than going up so we soon found ourselves, after a very rocky descent, at the bottom of the hill. The sun was shining and it had turned into a lovely day. 

Still we had a choice. Winterscales and back to the car, or Hill Inn which sounded enticingly like a pub. However as I wasn't the driver we went back to Winterscales and the car park.

Whernside may not be the most challenging walk, but it does have some stunning views of the surrounding area. Of course if you're a train spotter as well you get an extra bonus.
« Last Edit: 17:24:17, 04/01/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:04:17, 04/01/08 »
Dazza,
Looking good so far mate. Whernside isn't one of my favourites especially using the  3 Peaks path and I haven't been up it for a few years. The walk up to the ridge used to be on the other side of the wall but I see from your pictures the have done quite a bit of work on it.
If all goes well I may visit it again this year but probably from Dent. Looking forward to reading Part 2.
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:03:34, 04/01/08 »
Omg, Dazza yet another fine masterpiece of write up you have there, enjoyed it so.  And the fundamental picture remind me of when we did The YTP.  Yep being stuck in a peak bog all fun mind you 'the smell' as essence as I thought would be nah, 'smell's bad' believe you, me I think I held my nose all the to the pub and got funny look's from the people inside.  All good I suppose in little way's.  Great read cheers and the memories it bring's back LOL to myself.  Also looking forward to going back soon to this gorgeous place.

Looking forward to part> 2<, hopefully coming very soon can't wait.  Nice one there Dazza
« Last Edit: 13:07:00, 04/01/08 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:32:39, 04/01/08 »
Kids.. Well Whernside was just what we were looking for really. If it had been clearer I've no doubt they views would have been stunning instead of just amazing. Still it's good to hear improvements are being made.

WalkingGirl, I don't know what you mean about the smells from bogs etc. Lovely isn't it. I would have posted all of it up last night, but the website went pear shaped. It struggled a bit today to be honest.

Still Curbar Edge and Old Man of Coniston to write up. Curbar I may do tonight (sobriety status permitting), Coniston a bit later on.
« Last Edit: 17:37:01, 04/01/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:42:18, 05/01/08 »
Will when I fell in it, it stink of cow [censored] like I said lovely 'not' I was giving humour out there went sour though didn't  it.  there no siree about it all in a hot day's work though.

I like your write up very antagonizing entertaining.  I personally enjoy them.  As well as many other's people post.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy