Author Topic: Drivers beware of misleading signage!  (Read 2138 times)

PeakRambler

Drivers beware of misleading signage!
« on: 09:56:42, 21/08/16 »
Folks, I apologise for this rant, but I hope you’ll understand why I’m sharing this info.

Some of you are aware that I’m recovering from major surgery to my lower right leg, resulting in a frame being fitted to my leg to support the severely damaged bones while the join together.

The incident happened while legitimately using a pelican crossing where a motorist sped through a red light, and never stopped!

As a result, I’m now extremely wary of using pelican crossings on major roads, a fear I need to conquer, but I’m finding difficult, especially when I’m confronted with motorists who still go through red lights!

This vehicle was one of many who inadvertently crossed the pelican crossing while pedestrians had right of way!
Note van reg and company details obscured to protect the driver due to bad signage

The photo above shows a vehicle (one of many) appearing to do such a thing. Although the driver, and subsequent drivers, actually broke the law, they were misled by very bad diversion signage, unaware that the pelican crossing would be against them, suggesting they could turn left, when the left filter was closed for road works and no suitable left turn had been provided. The only available lanes were actually straight on only!

The problem was, when the road works started, no one reviewed the signage, so a diversion that was in place pre-road works was good and safe.

However, the left filter had to be closed off for the works to be carried out and the diversion was not amended to take this in to account, resulting in drivers turning left, and innocently driving across a pelican crossing when pedestrians were legitimately crossing.

The yellow diversion sign was misleading motorists!

Note the blue circular sign which is a COMMAND SIGN telling drivers to go straight on, along with the road marking to confirm straight on only.

Please, folks, to save yourselves being involved in an incident, read the signs and road markings carefully and hopefully you will make a safe decision.

The correct and only decision in this instance is to go straight on…..

The council concerned did remedy this error very quickly when I told them plus, I advised them I was going to inform the local rag as well should they delay any appropriate actions.
« Last Edit: 11:22:37, 21/08/16 by PeakRambler »

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Drivers beware of misleading signage!
« Reply #1 on: 10:51:11, 21/08/16 »
I am shocked to read of your accident, and I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. I trust you are considering legal action against whoever was responsible for the incorrect signage. Any cctv of the vehicle that hit you?

Believe it or not I read your post within ten minutes of receiving a mass email from the editor of a society newsletter, apologising for its late publication as he has been looking after his wife  who received a broken pelvis from a cyclist running a red light.

PeakRambler

« Reply #2 on: 11:22:18, 21/08/16 »
I am shocked to read of your accident, and I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. I trust you are considering legal action against whoever was responsible for the incorrect signage. Any cctv of the vehicle that hit you?

Believe it or not I read your post within ten minutes of receiving a mass email from the editor of a society newsletter, apologising for its late publication as he has been looking after his wife  who received a broken pelvis from a cyclist running a red light.

Thank you for the good wishes, hopefully the frame will be removed later this year and I can then start learning to walk properly again. its taken almost eighteen months to get the bones to join, but I think we're finally getting there.

The photos relate to a very near miss on Tues 16th August 2016, where I was using a mobility scooter to cross, using the pelican crossing, a very busy junction and the preceding vehicle almost hit me. He was so close, dust was thrown in to my face and I felt the speed of the air as the vehicle passed, it was that close!

I doubt misleading signage would exempt a driver from prosecution should there be a fatality, or major injuries sustained due to bad signage.

As for the original incident, which was back in February 2015, there is a claim being processed, through which I've had to have a lot of rehab equipment, and modifications to our home, to enable me to retain some independence, paid for by the drivers insurers.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:57:06, 21/08/16 »
Note the blue circular sign which is a COMMAND SIGN telling drivers to go straight on

Actually it's a 'Keep Right' which I think just means that the left lane is closed, which is obvious from all the other junk they've put there, and doesn't relate to the junction at all. Wouldn't 'Ahead Only' or 'No Left Turn' be more appropriate here ?

Pleased to hear that you're making progress anyway PR.
Not all those who wander are lost

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:36:33, 21/08/16 »
Reminds me of getting caught out on the continent when I blithely assumed that having a green man meant there wouldn't be traffic directed at me by the filter arrows on the traffic lights.

And yes, they are indeed 'keep right', meaning 'avoid this pile of junk in the road'. They should have used 'no left turn' (left 90 arrow crossed out in a red circle) or 'ahead only' (straight up arrow on blue circle).
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:27:34, 22/08/16 »
Top marks PR for trying to point this out, and top marks for the local rag bit as well, otherwise they will probably do sod all!
My cousin had a similar type thing with a bad junction with roadworks at Pontefract, multiple temp traffic lights at a junction that were all showing green at the same time! Forget all the details but there had been several accidents due to it inside a day, he got onto the police (think that's right?) and something was done.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

PeakRambler

« Reply #6 on: 15:37:25, 27/08/16 »
Actually it's a 'Keep Right' which I think just means that the left lane is closed, which is obvious from all the other junk they've put there, and doesn't relate to the junction at all. Wouldn't 'Ahead Only' or 'No Left Turn' be more appropriate here ?

Pleased to hear that you're making progress anyway PR.

You're absolutely correct, however, I was referring to the painted lane markings (obscured by vehicles in the photo) and the blue circular signs on the traffic lights themselves.

And also so is archaeoroutes   O0

Overall, there was too much signage and the big demon was that big yellow diversion sign!

The objective was merely to draw attention to the confusing and misleading signage, along with the extremely atrocious risk assessment that never highlighted the misleading signage!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy