Author Topic: Really missing North Wales  (Read 16325 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: Really missing North Wales
« Reply #30 on: 16:43:53, 28/07/20 »
Pic of Eigiau from Llithrig

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 16:56:31, 28/07/20 »
Cwm Caseg, has to be one of the remotest cwms in the whole of the National Park.
Its a long walk in, and when you get there, your feet are soaking wet, no matter what footwear your wearing, its almost impossible not to navigate past the saturated ground.

It has to be one of the finest alternative routes to gain the main Carneddau ridge, and the mountainside leading up to Er Elens main summit, is quite remarkable.

Apart from the Rhinogs, is the only location in Snowdonia, that during a very busy August Bank Holiday, i didn't encounter a single walker all day.

Maybe not the best route in poor visibility, but for total solitude and surrounding vistas, its absolute magic.

Probably the reason it gets so few visitors, is that its a long walk in, over very boggy ground, a lot of which, cannot really be avoided.

If you want dry feet, the Caseg valley is best avoided, but sitting down opposite the small lake below the slopes of Yr Elen, eating your sandwiches, with only the wild ponies or sheep for company.

Its one of those walks, that every keen walker should attempt once in their lives, as its so magical, surrounded by vast open spaces, and guaranteed peace and quiet.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:50:21, 28/07/20 »
Apart from the Rhinogs, is the only location in Snowdonia, that during a very busy August Bank Holiday, i didn't encounter a single walker all day.

Probably plenty up on the ridges watching you, though  :)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 07:30:06, 29/07/20 »
Cwm Caseg, has to be one of the remotest cwms in the whole of the National Park.
Its a long walk in, and when you get there, your feet are soaking wet, no matter what footwear your wearing, its almost impossible not to navigate past the saturated ground.

It has to be one of the finest alternative routes to gain the main Carneddau ridge, and the mountainside leading up to Er Elens main summit, is quite remarkable.

Maybe not the best route in poor visibility, but for total solitude and surrounding vistas, its absolute magic.

Probably the reason it gets so few visitors, is that its a long walk in, over very boggy ground, a lot of which, cannot really be avoided.

If you want dry feet, the Caseg valley is best avoided, but sitting down opposite the small lake below the slopes of Yr Elen, eating your sandwiches, with only the wild ponies or sheep for company.

Its one of those walks, that every keen walker should attempt once in their lives, as its so magical, surrounded by vast open spaces, and guaranteed peace and quiet.
Caseg’s inaccessibility is certainly part of its allure. It’s tantalising visible from Yr Elen and Foel Grach, and looks like it could be reached by going down the E ridge of Elen. It also looks like there’s possibly an off-piste route down the grassy slope bewteen Foel Grach and Llewelyn.  

I suppose neither of those are particularly short routes, and you’re coming down a couple of hundred meters.  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:05:32, 29/07/20 »
That's a gorgeous photo, MKPotato. I never visited Cwm Caseg as I lived in the Conwy Valley to the east - an omission on my part, obviously.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:54:54, 29/07/20 »

A near perfect description of most walks on Dartmoor.  The views however look a league or two above the average moorland walk. O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:12:50, 29/07/20 »
When you look at the inner confines of Cwm Caseg, from a distance, the grassy and rocky slopes, look very menacing, and it looks like a very challenging climb, to reach the main Carneddau ridge above.

The very steep grass slope directly underneath Foel Grach, is a very straight forward climb, offering no difficulties, and it brings you within less than a hundred yards of the refuge hut, if you know which direction to take.

Even the steep scree slope, that brings you directly on to the llewelyn main path to Yr Elen, is easy.

The only reason Cwm Caseg gets so few visitors, is that its the length of the walk in, to reach it, and just about all the surrounding mountainside outside the hollow cwm itself, is so water logged, that its virtually impossible to access it, with dry feet.

Its the solitude and dramatic surroundings that makes Cwm Caseg a dream location.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:54:07, 29/07/20 »
That's a gorgeous photo, MKPotato. I never visited Cwm Caseg as I lived in the Conwy Valley to the east - an omission on my part, obviously.
Thanks. The air was very clear that day, so it came out well. It shows the bulk of the Carneddau making Ffynnon Caseg look very small.

The shot below is the other side of Yr Elen (centre right), and another beautiful, glacial valley in my opinion. Very unspoilt (and wet, Dyffryn Ardudwy?!). The grassy slope up to the saddle between Elen and Llewelyn looks very doable.

Bit mistier that day.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:10:53, 29/07/20 »
The shot below is the other side of Yr Elen (centre right), and another beautiful, glacial valley in my opinion. Very unspoilt (and wet, Dyffryn Ardudwy?!). The grassy slope up to the saddle between Elen and Llewelyn looks very doable.

Ooh, another gorgeous photo - that would be Cwm Llafar, would it? I remember bivvying amongst boulders below the Llech Ddu ridge one fine summer's night many years ago, before tackling the excellent ridge scramble up to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:37:37, 29/07/20 »

Ooh, another gorgeous photo - that would be Cwm Llafar, would it? I remember bivvying amongst boulders below the Llech Ddu ridge one fine summer's night many years ago, before tackling the excellent ridge scramble up to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd.
Yes. That’s another route on my to do list. You must get a great view of the Black Ladders going that way.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 16:08:52, 29/07/20 »
If you’ll indulge me a bit of photoshowoffery, another beautiful glacial valley.  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:10:45, 29/07/20 »
Another lovely photo - you show off  :)

The wide panorama puzzled me a bit, but would that be Elidir Fawr on the right, Y Garn far left?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:43:21, 29/07/20 »
Another lovely photo - you show off  :)

The wide panorama puzzled me a bit, but would that be Elidir Fawr on the right, Y Garn far left?
I think you could well be right there Richard. The track on the left could be the one that goes below the summit of Foel Goch. That looks like Crib Goch in the distance, with the north summit, main summit and pinnacles followed by the reddish colour at Bwlch Coch. Garnedd Ugain is in cloud, but that looks like Clogwyn Y Person as well. This looks like quite a wide angle photo that may be changing the perspective from what we see in person.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 06:04:16, 30/07/20 »
Yes. Panorama shots mess the perspective up a little. That’s a lovely valley though. I didn’t have much time so I went up Elidir Fawr, then looped round and down the other side the cwm.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 07:45:20, 30/07/20 »
It is a fantastic view. I am not sure I would choose Elidir Fawr from Nant Peris as a short route. In my opinion the relentless uphill slog needs to be rewarded with a visit to Y Garn and the Glyders.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy