Author Topic: Tech help  (Read 2781 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Tech help
« on: 20:21:30, 02/08/20 »
Ok how do I get pics from todays walk, taken on my new Nokia 2.3 smartphone, on to my laptop? Connect the cable it just says no pics found  :(
If I get em on my lappy I can put em on here. Ta.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Tech help
« Reply #1 on: 22:08:08, 02/08/20 »
I have my phone set up to share my phone pictures with the Pictures file in my cloud drive (Onedrive with iCloud as back up).  It synchronises automatically through my wifi when I get home so no need for a cable.  I cannot talk you through it though as once I had loaded the cloud drive app to my Samsung smartphone it pretty much did the rest itself.  If I need to push a picture across, I select the picture and use "share" to drop the picture in the right picture file in OneDrive.
Solvitur Ambulando

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:50:43, 03/08/20 »
Download the flickr app on ya phone and upload ya pics to flickr from there
Then hey presto go to flickr account you can view them on ya pc  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:56:33, 03/08/20 »
Have you tried searching your phone's micro SD card with File Explorer?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:55:33, 03/08/20 »
...further to Richard's reply (and I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs):  look for a folder called DCIM (probably inside the Phone folder). That's where the default camera app usually stores photos.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:17:21, 03/08/20 »
Another 'suck eggs' answer: My phone is set to lock after 1 minute. If I connect it to a pc and it is locked, the phone and the sd card show on the pc but they're empty, nothing in them, nada. I have to make sure the phone stays on by temporarily changing it to lock after 15 minutes or so, and then I can see all the files. Baffled me when I first got the phone, until the penny dropped. Of course, this might just be a peculiarity of my phone that doesn't apply to others.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:33:51, 03/08/20 »
I've had computer problems but transferring photos from my phone to my PC is easy, I just connect via a USB cable and then click 'save' and it's done. Do you mean that your whole phone locks rather than one or more apps locking?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:35:41, 03/08/20 »
Correct GWM, the whole phone locks.
I set it to 1 minute because I live in an area where there's a chance of being mugged, and I'm vulnerable. Or, heaven forbid, I could lose my phone. I did years ago, when it slipped unnoticed out of my pocket on a bus.
My contract gives unlimited calls and if it wasn't locked some druggie could add it to his collection of disposable phones, call his bruv goodness knows where in the world, or use it for premium rate numbers. Only the SIM card will be of any use to them; the phone itself is worthless.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:16:43, 03/08/20 »
Ninthace-no idea what you are on about!
Beefy-no point, my flickr is up to its limit, I aint logged in for yonks.
Richard-theres no micro card in, just a nano sim.
Have cancelled screen lock, its a pain. Just tried again repeatedly, laptop just says it cannot find any pictures on the phone, even when am looking at them at the time.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:20:01, 03/08/20 »
Just tried bluetoothing my pics to old nokia handset so i could load em on from that, but somethings wrong, wont do it. Not suprising as they are phones of different eras and old one now has a "dead" sim in it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:02:31, 03/08/20 »
I use my old Samsung flip phone, without a SIM as my bedside clock.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:16:58, 03/08/20 »
I'll try again.  If you had a cloud storage app such as OneDrive, you could save your pictures from your phone directly to the cloud, which means in the longer term you would not be cluttering your phone storage with pictures since, once they are in the cloud, you can delete them off your phone.  You could then download the pictures from the cloud into your laptop at your leisure - no cables needed.  I have a file inside the pictures file called Camera Roll (it comes with OneDrive).  My phone automatically saves any pictures in my phone to Camera Roll as soon as it has a wifi connection (I am too mean to pay for mobile data).  I can open Camera Roll fron my laptop, sort through the pictures, file the ones I want and delete the rest.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:30:44, 03/08/20 »
Ninthace-no idea what you are on about!.

On my primitive old phone, i.e. not as smart as your new one, if I press a finger on the thumbnail of the photo a menu opens with the options of share, delete or add to favourites.

If I select share, a screen opens with the options of sending the photo by Messaging, or by Email - which could be to myself, so the photo is then on my computer, attached to the email - or by Bluetooth, or I can add it to MS OneDrive or MS OneNote.

So that is 5 possible ways of transferring a photo to the computer without connecting the phone to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:33:03, 03/08/20 »
On my primitive old phone, i.e. not as smart as your new one, if I press a finger on the thumbnail of the photo a menu opens with the options of share, delete or add to favourites.

If I select share, a screen opens with the options of sending the photo by Messaging, or by Email - which could be to myself, so the photo is then on my computer, attached to the email - or by Bluetooth, or I can add it to MS OneDrive or MS OneNote.

So that is 5 possible ways of transferring a photo to the computer without connecting the phone to it.
If you have a cloud app, the option to share will include the cloud and allow you to select which file you want to drop the picture into, no need even to message or email.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:03:45, 03/08/20 »
Here, I just did it, I emailed this photo to myself from my phone, just one of the ways it can be done without connecting the phone to the computer with a cable. I could do the same demonstration by putting the photo in OneDrive (MS cloud storage and sync) but I'll spare you that.
The photo was taken this morning during my constitutional walk around the park.

« Last Edit: 18:07:17, 03/08/20 by fernman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy