Author Topic: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story  (Read 28317 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story
« Reply #120 on: 10:45:25, 03/12/16 »
The Jupiter thing is interesting. I'm not up early to see it though!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 13:24:30, 03/12/16 »

Love this BWW!  8)

Thanks Sunnydale, Autumn is a time for reflection, and it was from a place not far from where this photo was taken I first realised just how much of the landscape Mrs BWW and I had walked over. The low light of an Autumn afternoon etches the many crests of ridges and hill tops, which lie between the most distant horizon. As I try to place a name to each, a route or memory pops into mind. I have only to turn a little to catch the bolder skyline of the Berwyn ridge to see far fewer ridges, and know that within those bolder strokes of landscape there as less routes. Magnificent as they are, I can now thank a lifetime, which has granted me the time, to explore routes in areas, which will not attract the pen of those seeking to write up the best routes in Britain, because once you have walked all of those, what is left to do.

Talking of the Berwyns, I sometimes feel that I have learnt as much about them from looking into that lovely mountain range from afar, as I have actual experienced walking on them. Some of the places, within their bounds, I may not have been drawn too had I not discovered a curiosity from a distant view.

Appreciate the astronomy lesson PR, showing us the position of Jupiter with the moon puts perspective into the sky at night I would not have known.

My last walk in Attingham Park has filled up a large part of of my memory card with Autumn leaves, I found the Sweet Chestnut were catching the low light in a very attractive way, and Cherry leaves as well. Often forget how large a cherry tree can be in mature deciduous woodland.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 13:51:28, 18/12/16 »
Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

The munro itch returned as I spotted high pressure settling in over Scotland, time to head north.

There is not a lot of light this time of year and there had been some big dumps of snow so I was looking at the more accesible hills, starting with the Crianlarich area.

It was gonna be cold, I did not fancy camping so I checked out the Youth Hostels, precictably all the hostels in that area were shut, what a waste of time.

Booking.com to the rescue, I was amazed that I got at B&B at youth hostel prices.

One June day back in 2005 I had climbed Beinn Alachdair 1038m crawling the last 50 metres on my hands and knees in a blizzard. I abandoned the plan of traversing the exposed ridge to its higher neighbour Beinn Chreachain 1081m drove south and had a BBQ that night.

Today I was going to ascend the normal descent route to Beinn Chreachain 1081m the temps were -7 at the start so everithing was iced up under deep powder snow making the ascent very difficult. I decided to take some photos with my compact, after a couple of clicks the battery died.

I flogged my way up to the summit and back in deep powder under cloudless blue skies cursing myself for leaving my compact camera overnight in the frozen car.

Back at the car I decided to drive north and take advantage of the weather to take some classic roadside photos. The final stop was in Glencoe, as I started the car a warning sign came up 'Remote imobillser battery failing'. Luckily it started so I drove straight to the auto electrics shop in Fort Bill just sneaking in as the closed sign was in hand.

Now the shops policy is not to assist fitting parts purchased so I replaced the battery and sat outside the shop in the half light with the car handbook working out how to reprogramme the immobiliser, got it third go!!!!!!

Image may contain: mountain, outdoor and nature

The three sisters

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Aonach Eagach

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Stob Corrie nan Beith
« Last Edit: 08:51:05, 19/12/16 by midweekmountain »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 18:18:25, 18/12/16 »
Thanks for the great photos. They are cheering me up on gloomy December days. Not seen any sunshine for 4 days and two foggy days are very depressing so seeing these photos are great. Nice views inside (on the computer) even if I can't see anything outside. Keep them coming please.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #124 on: 10:10:58, 06/02/17 »
Image may contain: ocean, cloud, sky, nature, water and outdoor

A glimpse into the Fisherfield Wilderness

The 16th century mapmaker Timothy Pont covered the map of this area with the words 'Extreme Wilderness'. Little has changed in the intervening years it is still known as the great wilderness.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 12:26:30, 06/02/17 »
Cracking photos MWM!  O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: 17:24:20, 06/02/17 »
Autumn? Still February here  :P
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 12:03:01, 07/02/17 »
Cracking photos MWM!

Autumn? Still February here

Thanks for your kind supportivve comments guys will post more soon
« Last Edit: 12:27:51, 07/02/17 by midweekmountain »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 12:37:37, 07/02/17 »
In autumn?  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 11:27:38, 08/02/17 »
Stunning views MWM, almost makes me envious that my life did not take the turn into permanent mountaineering years ago. Now I make do with lowland walking, but there are rewards there too.
A few years ago, during my time on a LAF, I attended a Public inquiry and started a topic here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26220.0
Just walking down the footpath a few days ago, we walked through the area of Burns Wood, the sort of area landowners claim, public access will affect the estates income from 'shooting and pheasant rearing'.

The pheasant rearing kit has not been moved from the line of the now 'Public Footpath', pheasants seem happy, judging by the foot marks path is well used landowner is lighter in the pocket from the cost of the public equiry, What was all the fuss about.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 11:56:59, 11/02/17 »
Stunning views MWM, almost makes me envious that my life did not take the turn into permanent mountaineering years ago.

Even though I have gained some mountaineering quals I never fancied making a career out of the outdoora, there are a lot easier and more satisfying ways of making a living.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 12:04:53, 11/02/17 »
Image may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and nature

A well photographed subject en route to the Lakes last November.

It was overcast today BUT due to clear out overnight, entering Keswick we made a spontaneous decision to visit Castlerigg.

Suddenly a beam of evening light lit up the stones for a maybe 15 seconds, more than enough time for a photo.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy