Author Topic: Animated GIF as a Route Map.  (Read 4613 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Animated GIF as a Route Map.
« on: 14:30:24, 02/02/17 »
Following Mel and Skyelarks request for the method, I am opening this topic. I do not know how much knowledge of graphics software others have, some will no doubt be more knowledgeable than I and others less. I first played around with animated GIFs a while back and tried to place on on my Photobucket account and link it to a topic here but it did not work. I notice that Glyno had placed put an animated .gif here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33489.msg486942#msg486942
I checked the file size and at 1.08 MB (1,134,146 bytes) And thought that an animated route gif would be no bigger, if not less, so it was worth another try.
I made my animated .gif using GIMP, which is free graphics software and can be downloaded here;
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
https://www.gimp.org/
To follow the method I have used an understanding of 'layers' is necessary. Rather than make this an overly long post I will assume this knowledge and try to answer questions after. There are some good tutorials 'on line',which teach the basic skills in GIMP. This bouncing ball tutorial was the one that first showed me how to make an animated route map.
Bouncing Ball;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMtI7nAbMw
This is my gimp open, showing the layers menu of the route map I put on the original topic;

It shows a very full layers panel (on the left) which is rather daunting until you understand what it is all about.
I had some difficulties in reaching the stage of being able to illustrate footprints. This is to do with the difference between rastor images and vector images and the size in relation to the map so it might be best to keep it simple for the first attempt. 
After making a layer it is possible to alter the name of the layer by using the 'layer attributes command' which is found by Right Clicking on a layer in the layer menu. It is also possible to write in a timing sequence and command into the layer attribute. This will control the layer when it is animated. Animation can be viewed by going to the 'Filters' menu and clicking on animation and then 'playback'. Gimp will play a preview of the animated layers' which can then be saved as a .gif file and will play in a browser. There are a couple of problems I had to overcome before I made the Apley Park route, because of the difference between a vector and a raster image. To start with it will be easier to make a simple image for the layer and the easiest is a dot using the 'circle' tool in gimp.
The most straight forward way I have found is to place a dot on an image as a new layer by; selection > bucket tool > copy > paste as new layer > move tool.

Stage 1. Open a document in GIMP with a background layer of the map or image to be animated. Open 'layer attributes' and call background or map.
Link to image;

Stage 2. Open another layer either in drop down layers menu or by clicking on icon bottom left of the layers palette. With circular select tool make a selection of appropriate size. Select a colour and fill with the bucket tool. A dot should appear on your background. Use the move tool to place the dot at the beginning of the route.

Stage 3. With the dot still selected hit Ctrl C or copy in the edit menu. Then 'paste as new layer' in the drop down menu in the edit menu, there is no key board command for this. A new 'dot' will appear in the top left corner of the image window, if the GIMP setting are the same as mine on default. This can be moved to the next position on the route.

Stage 4. Continue 'to paste as new layer' from this original copy, moving each dot into place. Check the automatic descriptions of each layer so that they number in sequence. Quite a good idea is just to number each layer, if they get out of sequence they can be a headache. The new layer is always placed above the 'active layer'.

The build of the sequence of layers can be seen with the default layer attributes in the layer panel below.

When the route can be tested at any time by going to the filters menu>animation>playback and a separate window opens up with various tools to play the animation. This is not the way to create and save the animated 'gif file. To create the animation as shown I have typed into the layer's attributes (500ms)(combine) This can be done by right clicking on the layer and getting a drop down menu 'layer attributes' or double clicking on the part of the layer with the 'attribute' to activate it. If the latter method is used remember to hit the 'enter' key or the addition will not be saved.

When you want to make your route as an animated .gif, go to 'export as', type in the file name and make sure
 to replace the normal .jpg or .png file endings with.gif. Click on export and a dialogue box will appear
as shown below, tick' as animation', 'loop forever' leave the others if you have written the
bracketed commands into the layers panel. Save to an appropriate destination.
Your .gif file can be played by dragging the file into an internet browser but there are media
Programs, which will play them.

I hope this is reasonably clear and can be understood. These are no the only methods to use, just the best I have found for me to do this sort of graphic illustration.
I hope anyone tying this will get fun out making an animated gif to illustrate walking adventures.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Animated GIF as a Route Map.
« Reply #1 on: 14:42:48, 02/02/17 »
Can you post your example so we can see the finished product??
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:55:27, 02/02/17 »
Thanks sussamb and apologies, seem to have left one image out, it is now on the end of the post.
BWW

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:26:58, 02/02/17 »
 O0  thanks, interesting  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:44:54, 02/02/17 »
OooOOOooooh, cheers BWW  O0   I'm gonna have a proper look and play around with that after I've finished at job number 2 tonight (just having a quick forum browse before I set off  :-\  )

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:38:37, 06/02/17 »
Thanks Mel and Sussamb for your interest and appreciation.
This topic started by my posting the animated .gif below in 'Your Last Walk' topic.

Can animated .gifs help us the illustrate what we learn from walking better?
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:18:01, 07/02/17 »
Another animated .gif for your delectation.

A variation of the first example. As we walked along the road we saw an opportunity to use field margins to leave tarmac for a quieter approach to my chosen destination. A slurry tanker had forced us into the verge, where there wasn't one, thinking that his return trip was well within the distance we had to walk to the 'righteous way', which would take us close to our intended destination, a convenient gate offered an alternative route. There was a risk that this route would be blocked by impenetrable hedge, luck favoured this choice of routes as the position of gates show.
BWW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:39:55, 07/02/17 »
Can animated .gifs help us the illustrate what we learn from walking better?

It depends what's illustrated I suppose.  I've not had much chance to have a proper experiment but I can see I'm gonna have FUNNNNN with it  :D

I won't be using it to lay bare any trespasses I do though (sorry BWW).... I'd rather not draw attention to myself when doing that and potentially lose the liberty of doing it again in the future, sorry again  ;)

Liking the 3D effect map by the way  O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:47:08, 07/02/17 »
Mel, can you do an animated map of that time you walked round and round in the fields near Farndale?  :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:13:16, 07/02/17 »
Have fun Mel, mortified I will not be finding out how far you are prepared to wander of the 'Righteous Way'. I use it because it is recent and I am putting together a TR and also a blank canvas. Rights of Way tend to stiles etc at field boundaries.

The backdrop is from Memory Map 3D view. :coolsmiley:
BWW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:59:05, 07/02/17 »
Right.  I've got as far as creating animated layers of dots of a route on a map and I've saved it so it plays in an internet browser thingy  :D   it needs a few tweaks to get it looking something like an adult has done it mindst  ;D

How do I post it on here?  I just keep getting either a link to the image or that small square X thing.  Apparently loading it to facebook doesn't work for this  :-\

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:51:32, 07/02/17 »
Well done, took me months to get to that stage  ;D

Save it on your photo hosting site same as a .jpg, then post the link. Works for me with photobucket, can't vouch for others though. O0

Check file size, my early attempts may have been too large (over 2mb will not load on some hosting sites). So I crop the whole image to 700 pixels largest size.
BWW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:30:10, 08/02/17 »
Bit clumsy but .... my first attempt  :)  (I think.... it works in the preview anyway  :-\  )

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:47:18, 08/02/17 »
That's great, classy with the stars  O0
BWW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:42:17, 09/02/17 »
Cheers BWW.  The stars were more by accident than design... a bit more exploring and playing around me thinks  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy