Author Topic: Compact camera for hiking - Sony DSC-HX90V  (Read 15907 times)

FOX160

Re: Compact camera for hiking - Sony DSC-HX90V
« Reply #15 on: 05:06:22, 17/01/16 »
Kukkudrill    You may find this list of apps useful to get the most out of or expand your camera https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/  Good review I have been looking too at this camera and the Sony DSC HX60 and both great cameras, but as you point out the sensor size. So now trying to find a descent GPS built-in camera with an larger sensor. If you have any ideas would be appreciated.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #16 on: 23:18:30, 17/01/16 »
Thanks Fox160. As it happens I've been looking at the time lapse photography app though unfortunately for me it's not compatible with the HX90.

Afraid I haven't come across any large-sensor cameras with GPS though this is not to say there aren't any.
Make the most of the available light

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:31:33, 18/01/16 »
Excellent review - I've had Sonys for quite a long while along with Canons but never used that particular one - although I've gone down a similar route by looking for a smaller camera with DSLR functions without the bulk.

Instead of a Sony compact I settled on one of the Canon EOS M series - I use the M3 now, but when I want to go super compact I use an EOS M, with a stubby 22M lens - really quite good for everything but with superb light range. I combine that with a third party hack called Magic Lantern which allows me to do some really fun Timelapse as well  and extend the range of options that the camera can do - more basic than the Sony you have, but also a tad more simple to use when out on the hill :-) - My next project is to use the motion sensor to sit on an edge in a thunder storm and see if it will capture lightning, if possible
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

FOX160

« Reply #18 on: 22:17:39, 19/01/16 »
Hi Kukkudrill    I have looked at that app and if you scroll done and click on to the Select all applications and scroll down you will see both version of the DSC HX90 and 90V so unsure why you cannot select it.
I have been looking at the Sony RX100 mk2 or the Panasonic GX7 has I like the bigger sensor, but both of these cameras have the wifi link with your smartphone to attach geo tagging to your pics. But then again there will be new cameras out very soon to drool over.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #19 on: 19:42:56, 20/01/16 »
Hi Fox, when I click on select all applications and select HX90V the list of available apps shrinks to five which do not include the timelapse app. Sony do not seem to be in any hurry to update their apps. I asked them whether they intended to make the app compatible with the HX90V in the near future and they said "In regards to your enquiry,   please note that sadly, we   cannot confirm if the camera   will be compatible or not;   however, once we have any   updates, it will be released   on the website." Which translates as "sorry mate, no effing idea".  

Syncing with a smartphone seems to have become camera-makers' preferred approach to geotagging, so if you're happy with this you'll have a much wider range of cameras to choose from. But it's too fiddly for me and I don't want to drain my phone battery when I'm on long walks, so I only considered cameras that have their own GPS receiver.

FOX160

« Reply #20 on: 20:12:09, 21/01/16 »
Dam thats a shame has the time lapse is one of the main wants for a new camera.   Is it posable to do a time interval shoot and put all the pics together to make a mini movie?

Kukkudrill

« Reply #21 on: 20:57:28, 21/01/16 »
The trick is shooting the images without moving the camera. The HX90V does not have a timed interval shooting mode, as far as I can see. One way to do it might be to download the smart remote control app (one of the few that is compatible with the HX90V) and use it to take photos every ten seconds or so, manually triggering each shot using my phone without touching the camera.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:32:11, 16/02/16 »
hi im thinking of buying the sony, will it be ok for video, and does it have the ability to film timelapse?
ATB beefy 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:47:03, 16/02/16 »
Beefy the Sony DSC HX60 is compatible with a timelapse app £7.99 from Play Memories, the HX90 isn't listed on the website as compatible so I don't think it is?  :-\
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:51:53, 16/02/16 »
Beefy the Sony DSC HX60 is compatible with a timelapse app £7.99 from Play Memories, the HX90 isn't listed on the website as compatible so I don't think it is?  :-\
thanks Ape i think ill get the hx60 instead ...  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:53:32, 16/02/16 »
thanks Ape i think ill get the hx60 instead ...  O0

Glove of fate?  ;D
Hate will never win

Kukkudrill

« Reply #26 on: 22:04:42, 16/02/16 »

The HX90 doesn't do time lapse but the HX60 can (with the Sony app). The HX90 has a viewfinder - this allows for steadier handheld shooting with the zoom extended - and a tilting screen. The HX60 has neither. On the other hand the HX60 has a hot shoe to which you can attach an external microphone.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:03:27, 17/02/16 »
The HX90 doesn't do time lapse but the HX60 can (with the Sony app). The HX90 has a viewfinder - this allows for steadier handheld shooting with the zoom extended - and a tilting screen. The HX60 has neither. On the other hand the HX60 has a hot shoe to which you can attach an external microphone.
thanks Kukkudrill, i bought the HX60v in the end
looking forward to trying it out...  8)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:57:54, 18/02/16 »
i bought the HX60v in the end

:o  I got the HX60 camera as well  :o 

We will be able to take some nice rain pictures this weekend  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:21:38, 18/02/16 »

:o  I got the HX60 camera as well  :o 

We will be able to take some nice rain pictures this weekend  ;D
No it's gonna be sunny  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy