Author Topic: Anyone can make a mistake!!  (Read 3949 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone can make a mistake!!
« Reply #15 on: 11:29:57, 09/03/19 »
Killing for fun. God's creatures destroyed on a selfish whim. The main reason I and many others love walking in the countryside is to savour and enjoy what wilderness is and should mean to us.  The delight in destroying that nature is horrific.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:16:18, 09/03/19 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:41:43, 09/03/19 »
I don't understand how anyone can derive pleasure from killing a magnificent animal.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:27:00, 09/03/19 »
Why do you feel the need to hunt wolves? You don't eat them.

As I understand it they were extinct or very near extinct in North America outside of Alaska and Canada in the early 20 century. Only now 80 years on are they re-establishing themselves in their old territory,and you're still killing them.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:37:04, 09/03/19 »
Sorry Eric, you've hit on one of the differences between the UK and the USA.
It appears that hunting wild animals is considered OK in large parts of the USA and Canada while here it isn't generally seen as acceptable.  

Maggot

« Reply #20 on: 15:05:31, 09/03/19 »
Hunting is one of the major cultural differences between the US and the UK.  Our trans-Atlantic cousins love a bit of hunting and shooting and bow-hunting, we seem to be trying to ban it all. 

It's weird though, lots of Brits are animal lovers, as evidenced by several replies on this very thread, then nip out for a burger or a kebab and love a bacon sandwich or a Sunday Roast!  It's like we want our killing done at arms length.  If you are going to eat it, you should be willing to kill it, and conversely, if you aren't willing to kill it, you shouldn't be willing to eat it.

Oh, and all those leather walking boots we all enjoy wearing, they aren't made from lettuce you know, they are made from dead things that have been killed so your feet stay reasonably dry and comfortable.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:15:39, 09/03/19 »
So are you a vegan, maggot?  :-\ Or do you break the law by killing your own meat in an unhygienic and painful way? Having had to deal with two muntjac deers hit by traffic, I can assure you that this is nothing like watching overweight SAS wannabees on you tube pretending to be free spirited people, it is not a pleasant thing to have to do.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Maggot

« Reply #22 on: 15:38:28, 09/03/19 »
So are you a vegan, maggot?  :-\ Or do you break the law by killing your own meat in an unhygienic and painful way? Having had to deal with two muntjac deers hit by traffic, I can assure you that this is nothing like watching overweight SAS wannabees on you tube pretending to be free spirited people, it is not a pleasant thing to have to do.

Why are you being hyper-questioning of me?

No, I love a bit of meat, I am also willing to do the deed if needs be.  I shoot and grew up on a farm, I get the cycle of life and the food chain, and we are at the top.

My point is that everyone is all of a sudden an animal lover and intolerant of animal cruelty, well let me ask you, have you ever been to a chicken processing plant.  They do indeed pass all the welfare checks, but being hung upside by my feet and dipped in a bath of electrified warm water is not how I intend to leave this life.  Given the choice between that or a single bullet from a high powered rifle in my head without me knowing it was coming would do me. 

So all in all, as long as skilled people are involved, munching my dinner and getting a surprise bullet in the head versus being herded into a lorry, driven 50 miles, then getting unloaded into a barn smelling of death and blood, I think I know what most of us would prefer?

It is very hypocritical to criticise others for animal cruelty while wearing leather boots, tucking into a burger sat on a leather sofa.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:47:12, 09/03/19 »
I doubt if a shot wolf is eaten though  ::)
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:57:24, 09/03/19 »
Killing to eat or control a species that has no remaining natural predators is one thing. (actually two things). Killing for a trophy, the thrill or in the name of sport is something completely different and unnecessary, particularly on top of the general human impact on wildlife.

Maggot

« Reply #25 on: 15:58:55, 09/03/19 »
I doubt if a shot wolf is eaten though  ::)

No, it's almost certainly not eaten by humans.  It would still be eaten by animals, possibly it is dog food for the hunters dogs? 

My point is that we do lots of bad things as humans, including as people who probably quite like being outdoors and keen to help the environment and the fauna of an area.  And we do it, mostly, by buying things we don't need that are made from animals (I bet most of us have more than one pair of walking boots?), we drive to the great outdoors and moan about the amount traffic on the roads.  We use single use plastic bottles, there are loads of threads on here along the lines of "What have you bought now?" well your latest plastic widget did not walk to your house did it?  We are all obsessed with having the latest, newest, thing, delivered quickly and who cares what it took to make it or get it to you, but shoot a wolf and expect hell to come your way  ::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:21:03, 09/03/19 »
Maggot, I hope you don't think we are all picking on you it is just that you are the person espousing a different view to the rest of us.

I try not to do unnecessary harm to the environment but I am self aware enough to realise that anything I do is middle-class tinkering. But the logical conclusion of your argument is that if I have a leather watch strap I can't complain if someone harpoons a whale.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:23:27, 09/03/19 »
I can accept that subjects like this are complicated but to kill for pleasure, or as a so called 'sport', or as a 'hobby' is pretty gross to me. If the warnings are correct we humans are on a path to kill anything that moves, or swims in the sea, on the planet.

I sometimes meet such people when I go running. I always have a nag or a tut-tut at them. It all depends if they are carrying a gun or not!. Sorry, but its in my make up, just can't resist it! In the past two years, I've always asked them if they voted Remain or Leave. Not very many people I know, but interestingly they have always given me the same answer!

I wonder how many USA 'hunters' voted for Mr Trump?

Maggot

« Reply #28 on: 17:06:10, 09/03/19 »
I can accept that subjects like this are complicated but to kill for pleasure, or as a so called 'sport', or as a 'hobby' is pretty gross to me. If the warnings are correct we humans are on a path to kill anything that moves, or swims in the sea, on the planet.

I sometimes meet such people when I go running. I always have a nag or a tut-tut at them. It all depends if they are carrying a gun or not!. Sorry, but its in my make up, just can't resist it! In the past two years, I've always asked them if they voted Remain or Leave. Not very many people I know, but interestingly they have always given me the same answer!

I wonder how many USA 'hunters' voted for Mr Trump?

We do as much damage with profligate desires to own more kit.  It takes approximately 7,600 litres of water to make a pair of denim jeans, and half the planet can't get decent drinking water! 

Just in case you are interested GWM, and I guess you won't be as it is rather inconvenient, but your new super coat is manufactured by one of the worst performing companies in the sector for sustainability https://rankabrand.org/sportswear-sports-shoes/Champion  Indeed it is ranked "Do not buy" due to their poor levels of sustainable and ethical practices.  So I guess that pretty much makes you a Leave Voting Trump Supporter eh  ;D
« Last Edit: 17:12:13, 09/03/19 by Maggot »

Maggot

« Reply #29 on: 17:11:44, 09/03/19 »
Maggot, I hope you don't think we are all picking on you it is just that you are the person espousing a different view to the rest of us.

I try not to do unnecessary harm to the environment but I am self aware enough to realise that anything I do is middle-class tinkering. But the logical conclusion of your argument is that if I have a leather watch strap I can't complain if someone harpoons a whale.

No problem, I am chill with it  O0 

I guess it's easy to be outraged by someone shooting a wolf with your dog sat on your lap and tucking into a bacon sandwich, it just doesn't make any sense to me.  Is it because wolves (and whales) are viewed as majestic and gracious, where as cows and salmon are seen as thick and stupid?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy