Author Topic: Non-insertional Achilles tendinitis  (Read 2372 times)

AFANASIEW

Re: Non-insertional Achilles tendinitis
« Reply #15 on: 18:08:42, 07/03/19 »
Tiger Balm is basically strong menthol... I'm sure the midgies would just show off plodging about in it to prove how hard they are.

:-D
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:42:10, 08/03/19 »
The podiatrist did say that a contributory factor can be the development of the calf muscles through, for example, walking. If you do it without stretching exercises, the tendons become over-taut. Presumably Voltarol contains anti-inflammatory stuff?
Yes, as the calf and other muscles come to that develop through excercise they shorten, so stretching is good to minimise that. Also as we age our muscles dehydrate and are not as supple as they once were, this puts extra strain on the tendons. Eventually aches and pains are not so much down to strains by overdoing it, but degeneration. A strain can heal but degeneration is simply the aging affect on our muscles and tendons etc - they can't take the same strain anymore. (My big problem)

AFANASIEW

« Reply #17 on: 16:58:31, 08/03/19 »
...a strain can heal but degeneration is simply the aging affect on our muscles and tendons etc - they can't take the same strain anymore. (My big problem)

Yes, I guess that, at 65, that's precisely what I'm fighting against, and doing LEJOG forms part of that battle. Happy to say that, after three days on NSAIDs, the tendon's much improved, to the extent that I'm feeling much more confident that the thing may be do-able.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:59:29, 09/03/19 »
Not sure if I currently have Non-insertional Achilles tendinitis or bog standard tendonitis (if there is any difference?), but its been on and off for the last 5 weeks.  The tendon can be sore to the touch down the sides and can leave me limping for days/week.  I'm stretching and had been taking naproxen (stopped now).

I have no patience though, so as soon as there is a hint of it feeling ok, I go out and within less than a mile i can feeling it pulling and the limping begins and thats me knackered for a week or more. 

My new tactic is to stretch, and walk slower and as soon as I feel the hint of a tightening feeling, I slow down.  That seems to work.  However I'm only going 4-5 miles max as more than that it just breaks down.  Its immensely frustrating.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy