Author Topic: Photographers Question & Answers corner  (Read 87885 times)

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
Photographers Question & Answers corner
« on: 10:44:12, 22/10/10 »
Thought might be an idea to start up a Q&A section in here as I certainly have some questions I would like to ask.

Please try not to ramble to much in here as it would be good if it could be used as a reference guide to photography.

I suggest you title it as below in the hopes of being able to find information again at a later date (I have a terrrible memory ;) ) :

QUESTION:
Blah blah blah

ANSWER: in ref to question - Blah blah blah
Bleh bleh bleh
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
Re: Photographers Question & Answers corner
« Reply #1 on: 10:47:30, 22/10/10 »
QUESTION:
What is the suggested format for saving Photos files post production?
I get that JPEG is the industry standard for small compressed files but do you save files as TIFF once you have finished processing an image or do you just keep the RAW and JPEG files?
Aka

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:04:28, 22/10/10 »
It's an idea, but I think it's probably better just to carry on posting questions as separate threads.

That would give people the opportunity to 'ramble' - and for relevant discussion and different angles to evolve around each and every particular question (like somesort of 'forum' in fact!).

There are plenty of reference guides for photography around.
solvitur ambulando

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:21:50, 22/10/10 »
Meh long post now deleted don't wanna ruffle feathers!
« Last Edit: 14:25:15, 22/10/10 by Willowisp »
Aka

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:26:06, 22/10/10 »
Question

If I shoot with a UV filter on, will it keep my prints from fading?

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:33:36, 22/10/10 »
Nice one Dan - topic is now a sticky so it will always be at the top of the Photography section.

Question - What settings were you using for the sunrise pictures from Catbells, and Granty - What filters were you using? Then next time I get up early I'll know what to do ::)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:07:08, 22/10/10 »
QUESTION:
I get that JPEG is the industry standard for small compressed files but do you save files as TIFF once you have finished processing an image or do you just keep the RAW and JPEG files?

Answer

Not sure of the suggested format to keep but I set my camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW for each picture. Disc space is cheap so I store the original RAW files on disc to save memory on my PC and use this as a master copy in case I want to process it differently in the future. Keeping multiple copies of both may be a good idea.

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:27:44, 22/10/10 »
ANSWER: Settings for shot from Cat Bells (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/5102590226/)
f8 (although for DSLR approx f11 I believe as my sensor is different size)
1/15 sec
ISO 100
Fixed 20mm 1.7 lens so 20mm (40mm in 35mm speak) ;)
Lightroom for processing

ANSWER: UV filter protect prints?
No is the simple answer. Pretty much the only reason to use a UV filter these days (I use one) is to protect your lens. Most lens now have a coating that is at least as good if not better at protecting your exposure from UV rays.
Aka

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:04:26, 22/10/10 »

QUESTION:  

My answer: Save the RAW files and if you use lightroom ,the catalogue to go with it.  

Export all files as JPG at their highest quality, there is no need to save as Tiff unless you want to preserve layers etc.

The most important thing, is keeping plenty of back ups.
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:08:44, 22/10/10 »
Nice one Dan - topic is now a sticky so it will always be at the top of the Photography section.

Question - What settings were you using for the sunrise pictures from Catbells, and Granty - What filters were you using? Then next time I get up early I'll know what to do ::)

Just used a soft edge 0.6 ND grad for the cat bells excursion. I broke my 1.2, but if I had a 0.9 I'd have used that as the skies were still a wee bit blown on the Blencathra shot when I imported it, so had to make the difference up with lightrooms.

I used most filters on the Derwent water sunset as it happens, stacking 3 different ones to allow long shutter and get spot on detail in the sky, apart from white balance issues the pictures came out nearly ready when I put them on the pc.

All I will say, if you decide to buy filters and you can afford it, go for Lee, no doubt. I use hi-tech and as good as they are and praised by many, the fact that they colour cast when stacked is not useful to me.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:36:38, 25/10/10 »
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=9035a2a8c50a3e8727d58363a4bfbb95

A forum I regularly use Jim, and somewhere I'll always post a question and get a response. Even I don't know it all  ;D

mountainwalker39

« Reply #12 on: 19:07:01, 18/12/10 »
Re: saving images - because jpeg images are compressed, each time you open and resave them they lose a bit of information. TIFFs are not compressed so don't lose info.
Images for my library are saved as TIFFs and stored on CDs.  I also make a small jpeg to keep in the folder on the hard-drive.
UV filters take out some of the excess blue in the light but using a skylight 1A or 1B is better. 8) The fact that they protect your lens is an added bonus.  When I was working all my lenses were protected by Skylight 1Bs, even on my 5x4" cameras.
Now I'm retired (was ABIPP,AMPA, FRSA) I use a Canon G10 compact.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:23:46, 13/01/11 »
Question :

I clean my sensor with digipad wands, but I still have an 'eyebrow' appearing on my shots. How do I clean this up or will I have to send camera away for it to be cleaned?

Any suggestions gratefully received O0

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:00:34, 14/01/11 »
Question :

I clean my sensor with digipad wands, but I still have an 'eyebrow' appearing on my shots. How do I clean this up or will I have to send camera away for it to be cleaned?

Any suggestions gratefully received O0

Sounds like you've left something on sensor, you could have another go with the wipes. But to be honest if you haven't got a loupe so you can look at the sensor to see exactly where the dust is you are just blindly wiping away at the front of your sensor. The Sony A700 is well known for been a pain to keep clean, I used to get mine cleaned every 6 months or so by the local camera shop, they charged £35. My new Canon is supposed to be much better with regards dirt on the sensor, but I've not had it long enough yet to make any real comparison!

Gary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy