Author Topic: Chamonix walking  (Read 1560 times)

rayt

Chamonix walking
« on: 21:08:03, 09/08/19 »
Hello walkers, rejoined after a break.
I am walking solo around Chamonix 10-17th August if anyone is around. Hiking mate ill so going alone. 
Otherwise usually go to N.Wales as this is the nearest fave place to where I live (London). Hope to get to Scotland in 2020 as I have unfinished business in the Cuillins.
Happy Hiking!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Chamonix walking
« Reply #1 on: 21:52:44, 09/08/19 »
Wish I could be there, I loved the hike when I did it. Are you starting at Les Houche and hiking anti-clockwise? Camping perhaps. So much choice on the route. Have a great time. I can't attempt another hike for a fortnight, son moving house so I've been drafted in!

rayt

« Reply #2 on: 22:10:42, 09/08/19 »
I have an apartment all to myself in Chamonix town centre. I have never stayed there before. I passed through some years ago on my way to do the Chamonix to Zermatt high walkers route and promised myself a return visit for the cable car up Aguille du Midi,
As I am now on my own, my walking is likely to be more cautious, I will have to see how I get on with the French map and signposting etc.
I suppose I will look at traversing the north and south sides of the valley, not sure at what level. I see that there is a recognised walk from the Plan d'Aguille  to Montenvers.
The Flegeres lift is closed.
Any suggestions for an easy to navigate route gratefully received!

This a warm-up to a KE guided trip around Grand Paradiso the following week, hut to hut. I have been on several KE trips and they have been good.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:25:21, 10/08/19 »
Plan d'Aiguille to Montenvers is a relatively short walk - assuming you get the train back to Chamonix - but some great views.

If you've got a car we did a lovely walk from Col de Montets heading west to Lac Blanc on the Tour de Pays de Mont Blanc path, then returned to the car via Chalet de Cheserys, La Tete aux Vents and the Aiguilette de Argentiere.  Cracking day.

When I was out in June I also drove up beyond Les Contamines and did an out and back to Col du Bonhomme and the Lacs Jovet - very very easy navigation on this, but it is a bit of a drive from Chamonix - around 1/2 an hour to 40 mins if I remember correctly. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:48:05, 10/08/19 »
One suggestion is to get the cable car from the Chamonix central area to the first level cable car station, thereby avoiding the long zig-zag uphill footpath to it. Then walk to the next cable car station, at the top turn left and hike towards Les Houche below. You will climb a short ladder further on, this tells you that you are on the right route, then just keep walking, mainly downhill. You will soon come to a Refuge, a great place for views, drinks, lunch and so on. I camped there the night, just to the rear of the building. Then carry on down and down until you reach Les Houche railway station. At the station, turn left along a footpath, to the left of the river, and stroll back to Chamonix. A good day out.

I'm sure you know but just in case, the French use horizontal red and white paint flashes on rocks, posts, trees, etc to indicate straight ahead on the Grande Rondonee footpath routes, e.g The Tour du Mont Blanc. Very effective and simple, really hard to get lost. If you need to turn left or right the paint flashes are right angled and if you see a painted cross across the flashes dont go that way. I walked across the Pyrenees following these flashes, hardly looked at a map in 50 days. Normal footpath signs are used when routes cross each other.

rayt

« Reply #5 on: 18:02:51, 11/08/19 »
Settling into the new environment today. Walked along valley bottom to Argentier and on way back at Tines went up to Chapeau viewpoint at foot of glacier.
Apparently lift up Aguile du Midi fully booked for over a week from now. Plan to get lift to Brévent next nice day.
Thanks for the tips

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:08:35, 23/08/19 »
A belated welcome to the forum, rayt.

Would love to see some photos of your trip!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rayt

« Reply #7 on: 16:09:07, 24/08/19 »
Image may contain: mountain, cloud, sky, outdoor and nature

rayt

« Reply #8 on: 16:12:50, 24/08/19 »
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:04:48, 24/08/19 »
Great photos  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:28:02, 24/08/19 »
Those pictures are why we walk!
Solvitur Ambulando

rayt

« Reply #11 on: 18:30:18, 24/08/19 »
Thanks, I took the Brevent lift to about 2000m on consecutive days, and walked one loop to the north east and back along the "Grand Balcon" path (view of snow-covered Mont Blanc), and a there-and-back behind Brevent (the other pic).
I walked around the Gran Paradiso area in a guided group too but the photos are not so good.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:24:40, 26/08/19 »
Ooh, lovely. Thanks for posting.

I once spent a fortnight in the valley below Gran Paradiso - absolutely wonderful, both for walking and mountaineering.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:31:35, 26/08/19 »
I spent my disembarkation leave from my last Germany posting in Chamonix with the family - well there was no rule said I couldn't and it saved the ferry fare. :)   Also had a skiing expedition there courtesy of the RAF.  Lovely area.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:01:39, 26/08/19 »
Great photos, brings back good memories.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy