Author Topic: OS Online Mapping  (Read 3724 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Online Mapping
« Reply #15 on: 10:42:55, 08/11/19 »
No problems here on phone app or website version.  I have over 400 routes loaded on it and they all come up just fine.  No sign in prompt problem either.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:47:55, 08/11/19 »
The thing about any electric GPS device is always going to be battery life. I have fallen foul of this once in the past on an "easy" walk. No matter what devices I carry, I now also carry enough battery backup for double the amount of time I think is required. I also use a solar charger on multi day hikes.
I am definitely a belt, brace, piece of string and some gaffa tape type of person. Phone with VR, simless phone with VR, ancient garmin gps device, compass and relevant maps. Spare batteries for garmin, big Anker battery pack for phones and solar charger (multi day only).
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:04:01, 08/11/19 »
The thing about any electric GPS device is always going to be battery life. I have fallen foul of this once in the past on an "easy" walk. No matter what devices I carry, I now also carry enough battery backup for double the amount of time I think is required. I also use a solar charger on multi day hikes.
I am definitely a belt, brace, piece of string and some gaffa tape type of person. Phone with VR, simless phone with VR, ancient garmin gps device, compass and relevant maps. Spare batteries for garmin, big Anker battery pack for phones and solar charger (multi day only).
  My phone in normal mode will use well less than half its charge a day running VR in track mode.  Don't forget, if you have "Location" selected on in your phone settings, the gps receiver is running anyway.  My gps uses 2 AAs and they last ages.  My normal night time routine includes putting my mobile on to charge so I never leave home with less than 100% charge.  I check the charge on my gps at the same time as I outload a route to it.  When it is down to 2 out of 4 bars, I swap the batteries.  I have a small ziploc bag of spare AA and AAAs  for my head torch and radio in my pack all the time.  One lesson learned is to check them from time to time.  I swap batteries in the field so rarely they have been known to go off in the bag.

My gripe with the OS app is that you cannot record a track while following a route.

General gripes with all phone based nav apps:
If you have any standard phone security, for example mine has fingerprint or PIN, it is a PITA to have to activate the phone each time to use the app.
Phone screens can be hard to read in bright light
The screen switches off after a short period of inactivity to conserve the battery and you have to reactivate it.
(I know I can change this in the settings but I prefer it that way for normal use to conserve the battery and protect my security.  I do not want to keep changing my settings every time I take it for a walk which is why I prefer the gps - long battery life and screen always on).
« Last Edit: 11:19:58, 08/11/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:30:46, 08/11/19 »
I check the charge on my gps at the same time as I outload a route to it.  When it is down to 2 out of 4 bars, I swap the batteries. 

Any reason why you do that? Mine runs quite happily for another day on 2 bars, and if it switches off mid walk I change the batteries then.
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:31:29, 08/11/19 »

Snap, except I don't carry a map or solar charger.
Where there's a will ...

Warbler

« Reply #20 on: 12:54:52, 08/11/19 »
Well.....I feel somewhat foolish now  :-[

I had an email from OS a couple of weeks ago, saying my subscription would be renewed in 7 days time and I didn't need to do anything. So I didn't do anything.

However, since my last renewal, my bank card details have changed, so obviously OS were unable to renew my subscription. They had emailed me to explain this, but it was hidden in my junk folder (I often forget to check this).

Anyway, all is in order again now.

I must add also that I appear be one of the few that hasn't experienced any problems since the big update, except through my own stupidity, of course.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:01:36, 08/11/19 »
Ninthace all your gripes can be sorted by using a dedicated simless phone with setting set exactly to suit you when out and about.
Those second hand/pawnbroker type shops are full of large screen smartphone for less than £30.Older version of Android is a risk but even so  perfectly usable for VR and GPS use.

Anti glare screen Shields are also readily available.

My main gripe is phones now with batteries that are not consumer changeable. Such as my new Honor10.
Too little, too late, too bad......

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:11:10, 08/11/19 »
I'm glad this thread has appeared as I've been getting a bit fed up with OS myself.

Think I may be moving to the Premium ViewRanger and ditch the OS mapping as I'm getting fed up with only having a tiny amount of screen map visible (mainly obscured by route rubbish I do no need to know, or my alternative is to get rid of said rubbish and useo 'Follow' route.... then phone battery dies within 8Hrs)

Thanks Mel

You never mentioned that last weekend  ;D

I've also just moved over to VR after another fail to download properly - I had a blank screen with a pink line, and a downloaded map without my position marked, but the two things could not combine.  OS help is a wste of space, so I won't be renewing.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:48:03, 09/11/19 »
I quit using OS Mapping a while ago. Flawed, frustrating, a complete waste of time.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #24 on: 15:59:40, 09/11/19 »
Had some initial problems with the upgrade (asked to sign in, being asked to rate it) but these seem to have disappeared now. Just hope that they don't over-elaborate it. (I tend to use it to work out routes then use a marked up paper map with the online map as a backup to check that I've not lost the path.)
Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:44:40, 09/11/19 »
... (I tend to use it to work out routes then use a marked up paper map with the online map as a backup to check that I've not lost the path.)
Dave
Puts me in mind of someone who worked for me who I found using a pocket calculator to enter data on a spreadsheet.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:25:09, 09/11/19 »
Harsh!  Must be the jetlag ninthace  :o

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:10:44, 10/11/19 »
I quit using OS Mapping a while ago. Flawed, frustrating, a complete waste of time.

Do you use anything else now.
I have stopped my recurring subscription for OS. I love creating routes on it and being able to print off. However the way it plays up when out and about has put me off now. I have tried it on three different phones and cannot re centre the map on any. It still has some months remaining but I`m looking at Viewranger for the future or anything else you or other members may recommend.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:15:11, 10/11/19 »
VR with a subscription to OS Premium mapping should meet your hearts desire then.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:28:00, 10/11/19 »
Harsh!  Must be the jetlag ninthace  :o
Sorry, didn’t mean to be.  If someone wants to practice paper map reading and check their answers with an app that is fine.  It just seems a bit like extra work if you are following a predetermined route that is already on the app.  I map read off the app and just use the paper version as a bigger screen on the odd occasion when if I need it.

Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy