Author Topic: anyone using a gps watch to log their journey?  (Read 2138 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: anyone using a gps watch to log their journey?
« Reply #30 on: 16:18:17, 24/08/20 »
As with many things, step counters are not all the same. On some devices they work extremely well, while on others they work less well.

Counting steps has absolutely nothing to do with pace or stride length. Step counters count steps!  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 16:30:09, 24/08/20 »
The distance thing estimate from steps is worthless anywhere but the step count is only worthless if you don't care or can't live with it being a bit inaccurate. As a motivator it's great but the distance of the GPS is probably a better motivator in the mountains. As for my daily walks, while some people log them with GPS I find this overkill and step counting works better as a passive, always listening device.

Agreed (on most points)!

I'm extremely motivated by the step counter on my watch. My daily steps target is 10,000 - and (as I write) I've passed that for 183 consecutive days. Since I really don't want to break that run, I will do the required 6 miles or so every day come what may for as long as I can!

However, I always log my walks using GPS. I often quote my distances and to do so using a calculation based on steps would seem very unsatisfactory.

I'm not sure about the relevance of mountains. My wife and I did a non-stop 50km walk a week ago which was far more demanding than any mountain walk we've ever done. And motivation was very much based on the distance being displayed on our GPS watches!  ;)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:38:23, 24/08/20 »
You're very focused on your walking though Dave so the extra data about them is interesting. I'm much more casual about it.

I'd log the distance on a 50K walk too that's an achievement of some note, 10K steps around town is more of a nod to yourself you've done your base fitness work.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:17:07, 24/08/20 »
Absolutely, and for me battery life is the key factor when choosing a GPS watch. I hate it when the battery runs out before the end of a walk and all the data is lost!

As I wrote a few posts back, battery life can vary greatly between watches. My Garmin Vivoactive would last about 7 hours; my Vivoactive 3 would last between 8 and 9 hours; while my Garmin Fenix 6 has lasted about 10 hours with 75% charge still remaining.

Regarding step counting on GPS watches: I've checked the accuracy of my watches on several occasions by (manually!) counting how many steps I take over a distance of 1 mile on reasonable terrain at a normal brisk pace. The results have been remarkably consistent - very close to 1,700 steps per mile. I've checked the step count countless times on my solo walks at the 10 mile and other marks, and the step count has always been close to 1,700 steps per mile.
That seems like a very long stride length. It brings to mind John Cleese and the Ministry of Silly Walks  :)  Sorry.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:48:52, 24/08/20 »
That seems like a very long stride length. It brings to mind John Cleese and the Ministry of Silly Walks  :)  Sorry.

I'm of average height (5' 10") and, according to Garmin Connect, my average stride length is 0.94m - measured over 10,567 miles (by GPS).  :)

My wife says I don't walk funny.  >:(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy