Author Topic: TR Threlkeld Knotts wild camp Sat 30 to Sun 31 Mar 19  (Read 2534 times)

April

• Veteran Member
It was a last minute plan of where to wild camp this weekend, I'd not had much time to plan anything else and my request for someone on the forum to plan my wild camp, route details, sunset view etc, including bus times proved to be fruitless  ;) I was going to write a TR with added narcissism along with a load of selfies but I think the normal boring and repetitive TR is all you lot deserve  :D I have made it a long one too to prolong your boredom  :D The pics of the Narcissus are for Ridge.

From Keswick we walked to Springs Wood and up to Rakefoot. We were heading for St John's Church first then going up the Old coach Road to camp on Threlkeld Knotts.

A fluffy sparrow on Springs Road

Some Grape Hyacinths on Springs Road

Narcissus Actiaea

Grisedale Pike from Springs Wood

It wasn't a bad day, there were a few sunny spells and light winds. The long distance views were a bit hazy and cloud covered some of the tops but this did lift during the day.

Toward Catbells and Causey Pike from Rakefoot

Toward Threlkeld Knotts and Clough Head

It was really warm and we'd taken off a few layers.

We crossed the A591 and started on the footpath to Sykes farm. United Utilities are laying the new water pipeline from Thirlmere which is near by (and everywhere else in Cumbria it seems) and they have put a notice up.

The United Utilities notice on a gate

The designated walkway

They have done a good job  :)

Beefy and Squeaky on the way to Sykes Farm

The sunset tree on High Rigg

We call it the sunset tree because we camped near it and got a glorious sunset a year or two ago.

Looking back from near St John's Church

We had our lunch near the church and then on our way again we popped inside the churchyard.

It is full of Narcissus at the moment

St Johns in the Vale church

It has a very peaceful feel about it, a bit like St Bega's church does near Bassenthwaite.

Threlkeld Knotts and Clough Head seen from the road by the church

We still had 4 miles to go. We stopped to chat to a really nice man on an old tractor as walked toward Wanthwaite. Beefy realised he'd spoken to the same man near Castlerigg before on the same tractor. As we walked up the Old Coach Road the cloud had begun to drift in so the views disappeared. We got some water from the beck below the old sheepfold and climbed up to Threlkeld Knotts as rain started to threaten. We looked about for a place to pitch and then found a "that will do" pitch when the rain started to fall more heavily. Perfect timing  :( We put the outer up first and got our packs and ourselves inside before we got too wet. Squeaky is a clever dog, she dived inside as soon as we got the flysheet half way across the poles. We clipped the inner on from under the flysheet, a bit awkward but very doable. It rained for about 15 minutes and clag rolled in and we had no views at all. Ah well at least we'd had a pretty decent walk.

The MSR on Threlkeld Knotts in the clag

It stopped raining and we got our water on to filter outside. The clag had started to drift away and we had a bit of a view again  :)

The MSR on Threlkeld Knottts with a bit of a view

We had our tea thinking we wouldn't get a sunset because there was a lot of cloud about. We were in luck; where the sun was setting had the least cloud and we did see the sun going down. 

A gap in the cloud over Whinlatter

The sun going down behind Whinlatter

Shafts of light were coming down from the clouds. We had a similar show the last time we pitched here

The sunset colours

It wasn't the best sunset we've ever had but still nice to get something when it looked like we would get nowt.

Skiddaw seen in this shot

The clouds were putting on a show too

It was really cold in the wind and we got in the tent to warm up in our bags and have some wine.

It was cold overnight and the wind had picked up a bit. Although it didn't fall below freezing, I felt colder than I normally do and woke up about midnight and couldn't get back to sleep.

A sunny view toward Scafell Pike and Great Gable

Over High Rigg to the North Western Fells

After our breakfast and brews we packed the tent away and descended to the Old Coach Road. It was nice to see blue skies.

Blencathra from the Old Coach Road

Skiddaw from the Old Coach Road

A rather hazy view of Grisedale Pike

High Rigg from the footpath to Bridge House

I'd never used this path before up or down from the lane near St John's Church.

Blencathra from the path to Bridge House

At Bridge House I took the wrong footpath and we ended up at Yew Tree Farm. We'd almost doubled back on ourselves  :-[  ;D There seems to be a bridge missing at Bridge House. If I'd realised it was the wrong path there might not have been a bridge to cross to continue on the right path?  :-\ I will have to go back and find out.

Skiddaw from our lunch spot

We stopped near Sykes Farm for our lunch and very pleasant it was in the sunshine.

Squeaky loved it

New born lamb

It must have been very recently born, the placenta is still coming out of the ewe. We had to walk fast in order to catch our bus at 1.30 so I didn't take any more photos. We'd had a good walk and camp, roll on the next one.

Day 1 was Keswick - Springs Road - Rakefoot - A591 - Sykes - St John's Church - Old Coach Road - Threlkeld Knotts 12.5km with 634m ascent. Day 2 We retraced our steps except we didn't descend to get water and we took the wrong footpath near Bridge House. 12km with 219m ascent.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Threlkeld Knotts wild camp Sat 30 to Sun 31 Mar 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:42:16, 02/04/19 »
Great pics Ape O0
Was a great weekend, Squeakys face of contentment  :)
The farmer was the guy I asked for permission to fly my drone over his land once when I was at Castlerigg O0 
He said of course, and that it was nice of me to ask,  8)
Fancy a WC this weekend  ;D
« Last Edit: 20:15:12, 02/04/19 by beefy »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:49:03, 02/04/19 »
I know you wont believe me but I swear I looked at Threlkeld Knotts on Bing as a possible spot for you on Friday.

Thanks for my flowers and all the other boring, self indulgent pictures.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:53:54, 02/04/19 »
Fancy a WC this weekend  ;D

I do  :)  I am planning somewhere now  :-X

Thanks for my flowers and all the other boring, self indulgent pictures.

You are very welcome Ridge  O0 Wait till you see beefy's vid. He made me a crown to wear :D

I believe you btw :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:55:21, 02/04/19 »
Looks like a good one, if you'd let me know where you werewcamping, we'd  have delivered a curry to you. 

Nice TR, not very informative and full of Squeaky's selfies. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:19:37, 02/04/19 »

Some lovely shots there, April, especially the views on Sunday morning.

It was cold here in Orkney too on Saturday night - I camped out in my 30 year old Wild Country 'Trisar' tent, just for the fun of it - feet got cold in the night.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:35:03, 02/04/19 »
I actually like to see a few pictures of people on their adventures. Seen a few pictures of beefy (and squeaky of course) but I think I've only seen one of April?

The pictures are lovely as usual, I especially liked "A sunny view toward Scafell Pike and Great Gable".

Also as usual completely baffled when you name all the fells in the photos they all look similar to me but maybe it will sink in one day as I see them in their different surroundings more.

Thank you April, maybe one day I'll even lose the weight so I can roam as freely as you! Luckily I've got my easy fells to get on with...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:41:13, 03/04/19 »
if you'd let me know where you werewcamping, we'd  have delivered a curry to you. 

;D We had some nice food anyway. Minestrone Soup and cous cous and Chilli Beanfeast with noodles  :)

Nice TR, not very informative and full of Squeaky's selfies. O0

;D

It was cold here in Orkney too on Saturday night - feet got cold in the night.

Thanks Richard  :) My feet got cold too, I had 2 pairs of socks on as well  :-\

Seen a few pictures of beefy (and squeaky of course) but I think I've only seen one of April?

Beefy and Squeaky are narcissistic posers, whereas I am camera shy  :D

Also as usual completely baffled when you name all the fells in the photos

:) I could just be making them all up  ;)
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:48:18, 03/04/19 »

Great TR. Especially Squeaky  O0 

Nice daffs too; the wild ones are over already down here :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:05:50, 03/04/19 »
Enjoyed the TR April    :)   Keep 'em coming!

Squeaky looks so pleased with the walk that I think she must have chosen the route    :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:27:10, 03/04/19 »
 ;D  At the squeaky shot.  :o At the lamb shot, I havent got any lamb pics yet. :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:43:42, 04/04/19 »
A great read, as always, April - the sleepless night sounds a bit grim but the next day looks lovely and you got some fantastic photos.  O0 :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:04:44, 04/04/19 »
Just caught up with this one, really good TR and nice photo's.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:02:04, 04/04/19 »
A fine excursion again. The sunset pictures are good and moody with great clarity after dawn.

I was going to write a TR with added narcissism along with a load of selfies but I think the normal boring and repetitive TR is all you lot deserve  :D
No arguments here  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:27:33, 04/04/19 »
Thanks Jac, Dovegirl, pleb, adalard, Owen and vghikers  O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy