Author Topic: Grike, Crag Fell and Lank Rigg Sat 16 to Sun 17 Nov 19  (Read 1960 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We parked on the Cold Fell Road near the Kinniside Stone Circle. We were out wild camping because the forecast wasn't too bad and we hoped to camp on Lank Rigg. Our first fell was Grike.   

Ennerdale Bridge in view from the path to Grike 

On the forest road leading to Grike

There isn't much forest left here now a lot of the trees have been felled. It was a dull day with low cloud but it at least it was dry.

Lank Rigg free from cloud for the minute

Grike summit ahead

Cloud was in and out on the summit but it was cloud free by the time we got onto it.

On Grike

We dropped down out of the wind to have some lunch. We hadn't started walkng until 11.15 and although we had only walked a couple of miles we were ready for some food.   

On Crag Fell

We renamed it Clag Fell because it was in the clag. It had been a very wet crossing from Grike to Crag Fell, splodge, splodge all the way.

We left Crag Fell and descended to Black Pots.

The Bridge of Death

We decided not to use this bridge, we walked around the bog! 

Looking back to Grike and Crag Fell

Cloud still covering the top

Lank Rigg ahead

Our original plan had been to camp on Caw Fell but we had started later than planned and it was cloud capped anyway. Even if we had time we wouldn't have bothered going up it.

On Lank Rigg

The cloud had covered the top by the time we got there so no views. We checked for buried treasure under some stones at the cairn and all we found was 2p  :o There had been lots of coins here last time.

We walked over to the tarn and ancient tumulus and searched for somewhere to pitch. Rain had started falling and it was more of a this will do pitch. We have a new tent, a Southern Cross 2 which is a four season tent. Unless the weather is really wet and windy we probably will still go out over the winter using it, even in sub zero temperatures. I also bought a new sleeping bag from Cotswold Outdoors in Keswick, which was the reason for the late start. I'd picked up a new Mountain Hardwear Lamina, a winter rated bag. It is comfort minus 4, comfort limit minus 9 so it should be warm enough and much warmer than I'm used to. Cotswold have it listed as 1.1kg which is very light for a synthetic bag at this rating. I weighed it when I got home and it is 1380g  :o I should have done more research before I bought it; Cotswold have the wrong weight listed online and on the label in the shop. I could take it back but it is a nice bag so I am going to put up with it being heavier than I thought.

The Southern Cross below Lank Rigg

The tent is lovely and warm, a solid inner and fly all the way down to the ground. It has less head room and is not as wide as the MSR tents we have but being able to go out in colder temperatures is worth having less room. The clag descended after we pitched so we didn't get a sunset view. We had our tea and opened some wine enjoying the camp. It was dark by 4.45 so our tea was eaten by lantern light.

Snow seen the next day

On Sunday the cloud was doing its swirling about trick again. I'm still trying to work out what the snow covered fell is. Red Pike? Scafell and Slight Side? It is Seatallan to the right of it. It had rained overnight and it was still raining while we had our breakfast.

Misty hills out west with the Scottish coastline to the right

We packed our gear and we were pleased it had stopped raining. Pain in my dodgy left knee had woke me up and it was painful to walk on it. It had been fine the day before so I have no idea what has caused this again. Fluid has built up around the joint again. I had this happen a few months back.

Descending from Lank Rigg

I was slower than normal as I was nursing my left knee. It loosened off a little after a while but it was still painful.

Looking at the valley we would be walking through

The path by the River Calder 

The path was very wet and muddy and we added more to the normal mileage along here avoiding it all.   

A look back at Lank Rigg

Nearly back to the Cold Fell Road

We had our lunch when we got back to the car. It had started raining a little on the way back but we weren't too wet. Not a bad weekend, good to be back out camping and trying out the new tent at last  O0 We've had it a few weeks now but the weather the last few weekends has been pants.

Day 1 was Kinniside Stone Circle - Grike - Crag Fell - Whoap - Lank Rigg - pitch below the tarn 5.75 miles with 540m ascent. Day 2 was Pitch - Lank Rigg - Whoap Beck - Stinking Gill - Cold Fell Road - Kinniside Stone Circle 3.75 miles with 100m ascent.

We drove straight home and missed out doing Binsey on the way which we'd been thinking of doing. It was raining and I wasn't feeling fit enough to do it with the hurty knee. I am still in pain with my knee at the moment. I'm not sleeping well because it is waking me up when the painkillers wear off. I have the knee bandage on it, it got better after a few days the last time this happened, with it on. I'm hoping it will be the same this time  :(                                                           

Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Grike, Crag Fell and Lank Rigg Sat 16 to Sun 17 Nov 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:56, 19/11/19 »
Great pics and write up Ape O0
Hope ya knee is ok for weekend and our next adventure
I'm liking the new tent :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:56:08, 19/11/19 »
Good pics from a dank but worthwhile walk, I remember Lank Rigg, Whoap and the Calder valley being spectacularly wet after a rainy spell  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:02:00, 19/11/19 »
Enjoyable TR of a nice hidden corner that I have never visited - thanks for posting, April.

So you've been splashing out on a Southern Cross 2 - they don't come cheap! Are you pleased with it? I ask as I am interested in the Southern Cross 1.
« Last Edit: 20:10:33, 19/11/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:09:24, 19/11/19 »
PS - pretty sure that is a snow covered Scafell that you were looking at. Been seeing Scafell a lot recently - from the top of my local hill I can just see the summit peeping out through the gap between Coniston Old Man and Dow Crag, and there certainly appears to be a lot of snow on the top when viewed from the SE.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:25:41, 19/11/19 »
Hope ya knee is ok for weekend and our next adventure

So do I  :(

I remember Lank Rigg, Whoap and the Calder valley being spectacularly wet after a rainy spell  O0

Yes it was really wet, the wettest I have seen here!

So you've been splashing out on a Southern Cross 2 - they don't come cheap! Are you pleased with it? I ask as I am interested in the Southern Cross 1.

It was on sale, so it wasn't at full price. Still a lot of money but we are thinking you can't take it with you  ;)

It is very warm inside the tent, the only mesh is in the doors but with the flysheet going down to the ground there wasn't much draught coming through it. It is narrower and has less headroom across the tent than our MSR's but for use during the winter we can put up with that. We like the pole that goes down to the ground in the middle of the porch, although it means you can't open up the whole side of the tent for the view like we can in our MSR's, it stops the wind blowing the outer onto the inner if the wind changes direction like it does in the MSR. It looks like a quality tent and we are liking it  O0

pretty sure that is a snow covered Scafell that you were looking at.

Thanks, with the cloud covering some of it I was unsure  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:26:48, 19/11/19 »
Great to see you out again guys O0
Money all gone from Lank Rigg and you have a new tent.... ;D
I've always thought the southern cross 2 looked a good tent. :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:31:15, 19/11/19 »
Money all gone from Lank Rigg and you have a new tent.... ;D

;D 

I've always thought the southern cross 2 looked a good tent. :)

We hope to be out it in as much as poss over the winter so I hope it is a good tent  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:53:30, 19/11/19 »
Nice pics April, shame the weather wasn't a bit better for you.
Hope your knee is OK.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:06:25, 20/11/19 »
Great pics April and I hope your knee gets better.  I used that bridge of death after a dry spell and it was an interesting experience, after recent rains you'd probably sink up to your necks!!  I like those far western fells, they are so quiet.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:09:05, 20/11/19 »
Call that a bridge of death? Here in Yorkshire laugh at things like that! I remember as a kid walking 9 miles to school and often dying on the way........... ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:27:35, 20/11/19 »
Thanks ridge and pdstsp  O0  Knee still s bit hurty but not as swollen.

Pleb how can you die on the way to school when you were a kid and be alive again?  :o  Are you the second coming?  :o
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:20:50, 20/11/19 »
Thanks ridge and pdstsp  O0  Knee still s bit hurty but not as swollen.

Pleb how can you die on the way to school when you were a kid and be alive again?  :o  Are you the second coming?  :o
One doesnt like to brag.............. ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:38:04, 20/11/19 »
Super pics & report April O0  A post well worth viewing/reading & such light relief from a lot of the other rubbish being posted on a too regular basis ::)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:49:41, 21/11/19 »
Thanks sunnydale  O0

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy