Author Topic: Shetland  (Read 6050 times)

nesty

Shetland
« on: 09:37:28, 16/03/18 »
I've always wanted to go. Though cost always put me off IE ferry. However I have read that the Scottish Government are slicing the ferry charges in first half of this year (probably be finalized by June). I am looking to go in Sept, if they carry this out.

Anyone been? I've done mainland Scotland, a coastal roadtrip about 10 years ago. Though I gather Shetland is a different entirety.

I take it some decent walks etc!

staggerindragon

Re: Shetland
« Reply #1 on: 17:39:51, 17/03/18 »

Don't miss Jarlshof on the Shetland Mainland.

I didn't do a lot of walking, but I can highly recommend Gardiesfauld Hostel up on Unst.  I actually got to do some otter watching from their little conservatory out back, and what's not to love about a hostel that still has an honor box in case the warden doesn't come by for payment while you're around?  Or a sign that says, "Castle Unlocked" outside Muness Castle and a box of torches to use while exploring inside.

If you're a birder, check out Hermaness Nature Reserve. 

Unst is . . .elemental to say the least.  I noticed that a large metal interpretive panel had been torn off the concrete plinth it had been attached to and asked about it because I was so surprised at vandalism there.  "Oh, that.  The wind took it." was the nonchalant reply.   :o

http://https://www.unstwalkersarewelcome.co.uk/unst-fetlar-walks/

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 18:42:55, 17/03/18 »
Thanks for that.
Unst is firmly on my list as want to get/see the most Northern UK point (in 2019, looking at Isles of Scilly, most southern). I know that I can't get on to Muckle Flugga/out stack, but to see it in reality will do.  
I like scenery and ancient stuff, so what you mentioned sounds great.  
It's just a question of waiting for the ferry reduction. They reckon it will be rubber stamped by June 2018.   

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:05:25, 22/03/18 »
Thanks for the link staggerindragon - I've got five days on Shetland in May all booked so some of these walks look great for me and mrs pdstsp.

Really looking forward to seeing Shetland - we've been visiting different islands for a few years now and love the different places - when we were on Orkney a couple of years ago a guy in the pub, who was originally from Manchester, was telling us that he worked on Shetland but that his wife refused to live there as it was so bleak, so they lived on Orkney and he commuted each week.

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 13:49:32, 22/03/18 »
Thanks for the link staggerindragon - I've got five days on Shetland in May all booked so some of these walks look great for me and mrs pdstsp.

Really looking forward to seeing Shetland - we've been visiting different islands for a few years now and love the different places - when we were on Orkney a couple of years ago a guy in the pub, who was originally from Manchester, was telling us that he worked on Shetland but that his wife refused to live there as it was so bleak, so they lived on Orkney and he commuted each week.

How are you getting there, via ferry or flying?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:51:55, 22/03/18 »
We're flying - we've limited time, so the drive to Aberdeen from Liverpool and then a longish ferry there and back didn't work for us.  Not cheap - you seem to be able to fly half way round the world cheaper than flying to the Scottish islands!

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 14:13:40, 22/03/18 »
We're flying - we've limited time, so the drive to Aberdeen from Liverpool and then a longish ferry there and back didn't work for us.  Not cheap - you seem to be able to fly half way round the world cheaper than flying to the Scottish islands!

I've looked into the prices from London Luton. I could get far abroad cheaper. Shetland is going to appeal to a certain number of people. So unless the Scottish Government encouraging people to visit. IE somehow starts subsidizing the travel there then people will shy away from visiting.

Annoys me that you can fly abroad far cheaper and certain other travel within the UK is so pricey in comparison. Many in power wonder why people are not taking holidays in UK and putting that money back into our economy!  
« Last Edit: 14:16:44, 22/03/18 by nesty »

scottk

« Reply #7 on: 19:06:01, 26/03/18 »
I am sure that flights and ferry are subsidised if you are from Shetland. Farmers and fishers also get discount on shipping goods from the islands.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:31:43, 27/03/18 »

I live in the Western Isles and even with subsidised travel for locals the flights are pretty exorbitant.  I remember my son (now in England) pointing out sarcastically that it was cheaper to fly to California than to come home, and at least there would be some sun when he got there.  Slight exaggeration, but he has a point.   And yes, we complain about it regularly.  And the fact that the plane isn't all that reliable, it doesn't take much for it not to come.  If you have to be anywhere, you set off the day before.
Everyone gets the benefit of the ferry subsidies (They are set on the basis of Road Equivalent Tariff) - but I'm afraid we moan about that as well, as in the summer the ferries are booked solid and just as inaccessible for locals as for tourists.

RogerA

« Reply #9 on: 15:09:47, 27/03/18 »
I went to Shetland once, over 20 years ago now, but I went on business whilst I was working most of my time off shore in the North Sea and got flown in and out by helicopter so cant comment on transport links - not that 20 year old memories would be that helpful.

It is however quite stunning and dramatic - well worth a visit.

If you're interested theres a crime drama on bbc iplayer/netflix called Shetland that shows some of the scenary to good effect, its also quite a good drama - well worth a watch.

nesty

« Reply #10 on: 16:37:36, 27/03/18 »
I went to Shetland once, over 20 years ago now, but I went on business whilst I was working most of my time off shore in the North Sea and got flown in and out by helicopter so cant comment on transport links - not that 20 year old memories would be that helpful.

It is however quite stunning and dramatic - well worth a visit.

If you're interested theres a crime drama on bbc iplayer/netflix called Shetland that shows some of the scenary to good effect, its also quite a good drama - well worth a watch.

I know I watched every single episode! One of the main actors in it lives in my village!

staggerindragon

« Reply #11 on: 22:38:50, 28/03/18 »
I enjoyed the ferry up from Orkney since much of the way is protected, but the trip from Lerwick back to Aberdeen was a bit more eventful.  Just past Fair Isle, I discovered that I get seasick after all and spent the evening trying to keep my innards from becoming outards. 

Island Plodder has a good point about transportation not always being reliable.  The week I was there, even the big ferries were canceled for at least one run, and I bet flights were canceled too.  You might to pad your itinerary a bit to allow for weather.

A series of An Island Parish filmed up there too: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0756c63/episodes/guide  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:00:18, 10/06/18 »

I've been lucky enough to travel to Shetland through my work for the last 16 years; a wonderful place.

For walking and wild places I would recommend Unst in particular; there is a special atmosphere about the place. Do go to Hermaness in the far North West, for the birds, cliffs and views of Muckle Flugga lighthouse. Also the Keen of Hamar near Baltasound; unfortunately in September you will have missed the rare alpine plants in flower on the serpentine screes. In the NE, Norwick beach is beautiful.

Elsewhere in Shetland:

The far north west of Shetland Mainland is excellent for walking; Ronas Hill despite it's modest height, feels much higher on top, and it is worth heading west from the top to take a look at the crumbling Lang Ayre cliffs; judging by the trenches running parallel to the top, the whole lot is subsiding into the sea! Point of Fethaland lighthouse is a good walk, and Eshaness is worth a look (Dore Holm must be the best natural arch in Britain). Spectacular coastal scenery. There's a campsite with pods at Braewick, and the fish and chips at Frankie's in Brae are to die for.

Down south, don't miss St Ninian's Isle, connected to the mainland via a superb tombolo. Sumburgh Head lighthouse visitor centre is also worth a visit.

For food I strongly recommend spoiling yourself at the Scalloway Hotel;
in my opinion t[/color]  
he best place to eat in Shetland .
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 15:25:27, 10/06/18 »
Many thanks for that. Sounds like there is loads to see in Shetland. I do find the place fascinating.
There is still no word yet on the new ferry prices coming in, so awaiting on that to then plan.
Scalloway Hotel I have heard of that. I believe David Cameron stayed there on PM business back in 2011 and all the film crew and actors when filming Shetland stay there[size=0px].  

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:03:09, 10/06/18 »
Hi Nesty

We spent our 4 1/2 days on Shetland a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic. We were lucky with weather - wall to wall sun! The coastal scenery is wonderful, with some great walking, though we only did bits and bobs here and there as we were doing lots of other stuff.  Richardh1905's recommendations are all great - we did vist Hermaness and walked up to the point overlooking the Muckle Flugga which was one of the most dramatic walks I have done - the scenery and birds were fabulous.  Also St Ninian's isle is a great half day walk across the tombolo and then round the island - again wonderful seascapes.  Many others too - and the inland scenery is also much better than I was expecting - big views and very quiet roads.  The central spine of Mainland is the only area where we saw many people.

We stayed at the Scalloway and loved it - great food, rooms are good and loads of people chatting in the bar.  Thankfully DC was not there when we were.

I would go back to Shetland at the drop of a hat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy