Author Topic: Boxing day hunt  (Read 4786 times)

Walk666

Boxing day hunt
« on: 14:22:08, 06/01/19 »
When I was out walking on Boxing day I came across a hunt of at least 20 horses or more and numerous dogs, they had come along a public footpath to reach a village, I thought horses where only supposed to use  bridleways, the path was in a complete mess where the horses hooves had turfed it up.
Walking the right of way

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Boxing day hunt
« Reply #1 on: 14:42:04, 06/01/19 »
Landowners can allow horses to use footpaths so it's not as clear cut as just saying horses can't use footpaths.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:46:18, 06/01/19 »
Highly likely that they had the permission of the landowner, 666.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Walk666

« Reply #3 on: 14:46:39, 06/01/19 »
Landowners can allow horses to use footpaths so it's not as clear cut as just saying horses can't use footpaths.
I thought that was only on permissive footpaths? I thought that public footpaths where council owned, Thank you for shedding light on the matter, we learn a little everyday :)
Walking the right of way

Walk666

« Reply #4 on: 14:51:02, 06/01/19 »
Highly likely that they had the permission of the landowner, 666.
yes I understand now, I've never been sure about the rights of the land owners regarding public footpaths, I've just read that permissive paths are where the land owner has given permission, like I said before I was just always under the impression that public footpaths where council owned and strictly for walkers, I'm learning stuff here and it's good cause I need to understand more about the rights of way laws :)
Walking the right of way

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:12:41, 06/01/19 »
When I was out walking on Boxing day I came across a hunt of at least 20 horses or more and numerous dogs, they had come along a public footpath to reach a village, I thought horses where only supposed to use  bridleways, the path was in a complete mess where the horses hooves had turfed it up.

I'm in Lincolnshire and all around us there doesn't seem to be many rural 'footpaths' remaining, they seem to have all been converted into 'Restricted Byeways'. Urban footpaths (ie thru Woodhall) are still shown as 'footpaths'.
Of course we have the Viking Way (running thru Woodhall).

The law states :

Sections 47-50 of the 2000 Act introduce a new category of highway called the “restricted byway”. A restricted byway is defined as a highway over which the public have restricted byway rights, with or without the right to drive animals of any description. “Restricted byway rights” include a right of way on foot, on horseback or leading a horse and a right of way for vehicles other than mechanically propelled vehicles (this includes a right of way for pedal cycles and horse drawn vehicles).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/1177/made

You may find this mapping useful (if you don't already know it).
Zoom in/out and scroll down to your area of interest.

http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/map.aspx?act=Walking

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:36:51, 06/01/19 »

More importantly why were they hunting with numerous dogs (by which I assume you mean hounds) unless they were drag hunting they should, by law, only have one couple of hounds i.e.2 dogs to flush a fox to be despatched by a gun.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 10:56:33, 07/01/19 »
Wait, isn't fox hunting illegal full stop?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:10:37, 07/01/19 »
Wait, isn't fox hunting illegal full stop?
Drag hunting isn’t and this is almost certainly what they were doing. It looks much the same as old fashioned fox hunting.
Solvitur Ambulando

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:20:53, 07/01/19 »
Drag hunting is just a front for illegal hunting in a lot of cases, see the brutality handed out to hunt monitors on a regular basis, all in the name of tearing a fox apart, oh sorry I mean tradition!
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Couchwalker

« Reply #10 on: 22:36:17, 07/01/19 »
Drag hunting is just a front for illegal hunting in a lot of cases, see the brutality handed out to hunt monitors on a regular basis, all in the name of tearing a fox apart, oh sorry I mean tradition!

Is a walking forum really the correct place for this? I might not be a regular contributor compared to some, but I enjoy coming here to read about walking not peoples views on fox hunting.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:58:07, 07/01/19 »
Is a walking forum really the correct place for this?

Perhaps not but the thread was bound to digress.

I might not be a regular contributor compared to some, but I enjoy coming here to read about walking not peoples views on fox hunting.

There might have been a clue in the thread title so you could have avoided it  ;)

You are right Phil, illegal hunts are still taking place, there is enough video footage out there to prove it  :(
Hate will never win

Couchwalker

« Reply #12 on: 23:04:51, 07/01/19 »
Shame, I thought I'd found a nice place of solace without the [censored] normally found on forums.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:55:49, 08/01/19 »
I have no axe to grind either way and certainly have no liking for the 'landed gentry' or 'wannabes' attracted to it .... But, as someone with a love of the outdoors and belief that such matters need to be viewed in the bigger picture, I don't agree with the publicity peddled by the media and generally based on a city view of the countryside.
Like most people I find foxes a very beautiful  animal and I don't like cruelty to any beast but it must be remembered that the cute Reynard is also responsible for cruelty and vicious attacks to poultry and lambs (as wells other small animals, which may not necessarily be of farm origin).
I can't quote the numbers but I have previously read the figures involved are quite shocking when a fox or foxes get amongst lambs/poultry.
There seems to be little support for the poor badger who is being culled in large numbers, being blamed for TB in cattle despite little evidence that they transmit the disease or a noticeable decrease in TB in cattle where local badger culling has occurred.
(we are digressing now - but only for the sake of context) .... So the reasoning and/or sympathy in many cases, regarding sport/hunting/culling etc seems to suit the purposes of politics more than reasoning.
And before anyone jumps to conclusions about my stance - I too don't like the thought of a fox being ripped to shreds by a pack of baying hounds but neither do I like the idea of a chicken coup or several lambs being killed by a hungry fox.
I find the idea of dabbing young children/first time hunters faces in the blood of the killed fox totally abhorrent and more to do with ridiculous rituals than serving any purpose.
So for the sake of balance (please note Couchwalker) I thought it worth posting my ramblings on the subject.
I suspect this won't be popular but it's my view and I'm yet to be shown something to warrant me changing it. Happy to be proved wrong, but not by BBC type views, please.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Couchwalker

« Reply #14 on: 06:58:20, 08/01/19 »
I have no axe to grind either way and certainly have no liking for the 'landed gentry' or 'wannabes' attracted to it ....
So for the sake of balance (please note Couchwalker) I thought it worth posting my ramblings on the subject.
I suspect this won't be popular but it's my view and I'm yet to be shown something to warrant me changing it. Happy to be proved wrong, but not by BBC type views, please.

What a good post and one I wholeheartedly agree with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-fox hunting, far from it. I don't eat meat or dairy, which admittedly was initially due to health reasons, but is now down to animal welfare reasons. In fact, late 80's I was a hunt sab, and a member of a well known animal 'welfare' organisation and also was a hunt 'monitor' on a few hunts more recently. Being involved with people like that made me realise a lot of them had no interest in the foxes welfare, they were there to cause trouble. What so called hunt monitor, blows a horn on the opposite side of a busy dual carriageway to try and lure the hounds into traffic? The 'brutality' dished out was generally because they were just as bad, trying to dismount riders, deliberately standing in their path, trespassing on property they had no right on, whilst the hunt did. Of course tempers will flare. Both sides were in the wrong but of course it was the hunt that was made to look bad. Personally I find them as bad as each other.

What annoyed me was that the thread was quite civilised but then 1 comment which wasn't required gives it the potential to descend into another drama fest. I have many forums I can go to if I want that, from my observations, this forum is generally drama free and I love it for that reason. I'm all for healthy debate, but this thread wasn't going that way.
« Last Edit: 07:02:01, 08/01/19 by Couchwalker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy