Author Topic: Is this possible with 3 months training?  (Read 5070 times)

Ray-S

Is this possible with 3 months training?
« on: 18:59:52, 05/03/18 »
Hi all. Looking for opinions on this. I am a 63 year old male, recent cancer survivor , previously fit (cycling time trials) but not really exercised for about 8 years and want to do a challenge walk for "Hospice At Home"
Ideally I would like to do the 20 mile event but leaning towards the 11 mile event as more realistic.
Not allowed to post a link to the walk but if you search Hospice At Home, Carlisle, 20 Challenge you should find it.

I have in the house a treadmill that goes to 10% gradient,  a Concept 2 rower,  a cross trainer and of course my bike on the turbo trainer.
Before knowing about the challenge I started trying to get fit in January and did 13 hours mixed between the treadmill and the bike plus a walk up Askham Fell.  February was poor as I think I did too much in January but have managed 4Hrs 20mins so far this month.  On my feet all day at work.

Challenge walk is on June 2nd.  Time enough to train for the 20 or not?

Thanks for your input.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Is this possible with 3 months training?
« Reply #1 on: 19:14:48, 05/03/18 »
It's a walk not a race. So in short ,other health issues dependant, then you should be able to do it. Very slow walkers like myself can average at over two miles an hour including breaks.  So your target to beat would be say ten hours. Try and get out and get your legs and feet used to walking.  Try to  do a reasonable amount each day and a lot more at weekends. If you wake up stiff still go out and walk it's wondrous how quickly the pains either kill you or wear off  ;D . Find a local steep hill and do circuits up and down it. Coming down hills is often harder on your legs than going up them
My physio also recommended deep really deep breathing. Emptying lungs completely and taking in air slowly. Gets more oxygen into your blood seemingly.
If the weather is bad then of course use the walking machine. Get your legs and mind used to long walks. It's often the mind that let's you down.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:14:58, 05/03/18 »
I would think so, but only you will know when you start doing it.  As jimbob says much of it is in the mind, it fails long before the body  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:44:15, 05/03/18 »
I'm an ex cyclist/surfer turned to walking. Your an athlete, so your mind will be able to cope with any 20 mile challenge, all day long.  I just took a quick look at the route.  It's no pick nick, it will hurt like hell the next day, probably on the day to be honest.  But put the hours in, enjoy getting your self back in shape and you can do that.  Go  for it.  O0 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:11:58, 05/03/18 »

I didn't realise  that it was 20 miles over the fells of the Lake District. It is up to you if you think the shorter route would be better but people will probably sponsor you for the same amount which ever you do.

http://hospiceathome.co.uk/events/event/hospice-at-home-20-challenge/

TinTin

« Reply #5 on: 09:28:46, 06/03/18 »
If you have done a fair amount of time trial's previously, I suspect your mind will be fine  O0

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:50:10, 06/03/18 »
I would say first of all well done to you already, surviving cancer is a huge triumph.

My advice would be to get yourself out on the fells as much as possible, gym work is fine for cardio, but there’s nothing to replace hill training.
Unlike the gym where it’s smooth and you’ll train one set of muscles constantly, out on the fells it’s rough under foot, undulating, you use certain muscles to climb the fells and others kick in when descending, only to start those climbing muscles again and this is where hill fitness comes in.
Constantly changing muscle groups is energy sapping, coping with a constant undulating ground is much harder work than road walking or cycling and 8 years break is a while.

I’m sure it’s possible for you to get fit enough to complete the 20 miles, but don’t underestimate it, it’s a big challenge for a none Fell walker.

See how you go on the hills in the next few weeks, you’ll get an idea.
Maybe go for the shorter option this year, enjoy it, gain some experience, know what you need to do and have a pop at the 20 mile next year.

Whatever you decide, all the very best and good luck  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:36:58, 06/03/18 »
As everyone else is being so encouraging I am going to be the wet blanket.

If 14 hours exercise in January was too much, how will you feel about doing 14 hours in a day?
I regularly walk with a cancer survivor (my son) and I know how much the treatment took out of him, he is still not back up to the fitness and stamina that he had. All cancer treatments are just pumping your body full of poison.

I think jontea's suggestion is a good one. 11 miles this year and 20 next.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:57:26, 06/03/18 »
Are you allowed to do the  11 miler and if feeling okay continue with the second part. Also if you have good company it will seem easier.
Have a go and good luck.
It's all uphill from here.

Ray-S

« Reply #9 on: 19:17:08, 06/03/18 »
Thanks for all the replies.  Going to get a move on with training and see how it goes.  I can decide later which distance to go for.  The girls at work did it last year and it took then 12 hours!!!!!!!!
I will post my progress occasionally on here and be sure to let you know how it goes on the day. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:31:40, 06/03/18 »
 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/16/cancer-survivor-new-record-two-day-fell-run

Anything is possible,Jane Tomlinson used to compete in ironman triathons with cancer.

The only caution is that you are a recent cancer survivor so your body might still be a bit weak and need longer to get up to speed.Train sensibly and don't abuse your body by trying to aim for targets.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:50:56, 07/03/18 »
Good luck Ray whichever distance you choose  O0 If you aren't used to hill walking the 20 mile circuit would be really tough, its not just the ascents that will be difficult, the descents can be equally as challenging.
Hate will never win

Ray-S

« Reply #12 on: 18:13:12, 11/03/18 »
Made a start today with a walk from Askham over Askham Fell and down into Pooley Bridge.  Quick picture from the new bridge (washed away by storm Desmond) where the river flows into Ullswater and then back to Askham.  About two hours and would have gone back up again but the ball of my right foot was getting very sore.  Have had this before on holiday when walking with sandals in the heat and it is always the ball of my right foot so don't think it is down to my boots. Maybe just need to walk more and toughen my feet up.   

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:36:39, 11/03/18 »
About two hours and would have gone back up again but the ball of my right foot was getting very sore.  Have had this before on holiday when walking with sandals in the heat and it is always the ball of my right foot so don't think it is down to my boots. Maybe just need to walk more and toughen my feet up.

Your right foot might be slightly narrower than your left allowing your foot to slide forwards in the boot creating the hot spot. It's usually a prelude to a blister forming. You could try wearing an extra sock on your right foot to take up the spare volume or even try something like a Brasher Volume Reducer (£5 or less) placed under the normal insole in your right boot.

https://www.brooklyntrading.co.uk/search/?q=Brasher+3mm+Lightweight+Shoe+Volume+Adjusters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brasher-3mm-Adjusters-Grn-UK/dp/B0068NVCD2

Ray-S

« Reply #14 on: 18:42:26, 11/03/18 »
Don't think my foot is sliding forward but it may well be doing so.  For all they cost I will try what you have suggested. The same happened last week when I did over 2 hours on level tarmac roads and yes it did feel like a blister was close to forming.
Thanks for the links.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy