Author Topic: Starter Kit  (Read 2092 times)

Maggot

Re: Starter Kit
« Reply #15 on: 22:25:04, 09/03/18 »
Get some half decent boots, but don't spend a fortune.  You can decent half decent boots for £30ish in places like Decathlon (there is one in Brighton town centre) and Go Outdoors.  Then wear your normal clothes and please do not get bogged down with technical this that or the other.  If you really feel the need you can get a wicking t-shirt for £6 in Decathlon while you are there, job done.

Then as you go further and for longer, get yourself to the charity shops before you hand over your credit card in Cotswold or Snow and Rock etc.

Honestly, just get yourself a little flask, sling it in a bag and go for a walk  O0   You may think it's all a bit [censored]! and never want to do it again!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:32:48, 10/03/18 »
To me the starting point is boots and socks, without them your'r doomed! Then, get to know your feet, at what point are you likely to get blisters and so on, its really worth doing the homework. Better to learn early than to be crippled by pain and still 10 miles to go before your walk ends!

Then trousers, I made the mistake once of buying a pair that was narrowly cut at the knee. I had to stop using them because they rubbed my knees red raw! My present pair have a bit of give at the knee so no further problems. My next priority is comfortable underwear, I prefer cool synthetic and cut as ordinary briefs, some people like boxers but if neither are comfortable, or make you uncomfortably hot when you don't want to be hot, it can become really irritating.

'Easy' for me to stay dry at torso and head level, but 'downstairs' can be a bit tricky. I personally have now settled on a good pair of gaiters (worn underneath my trousers of course) and a rain skirt which I find very much to my liking. I also find the rain skirt is good for temperature fluctuations, not so easy on a stop/start rainy day, especially if its warm(ish) at the same time, not the best experience if your lumbered with faffy trousers. My skirt can be on or off in 10 seconds and I dont even have to stop walking either, or rucksack off, then rucksack back on again. What a time wasting chore!

Apart from a waterproof outer or a poncho, (I'm using a poncho more and more) so even less need for the rain skirt, there is so much torso choice I think you will have to experiment with this and that until you feel comfortable. I'm still experimenting, I still can't get it right, always feel that there must be that 'right' garment out there just for me, but I just cannot find it.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:39:47, 10/03/18 »

First, note what Jimbob says "We are all equipment junkies", and I know I am as bad as anyone, outdoor shops grin and rub their hands as I walk in the door.   But I am old(ish) and like to be warm and comfortable.
When I was young we walked in what we had, because there wasn't much else and we couldn't have afforded it anyway.   One of my regular walking companions still cheerfully walks in jeans, has only recently upgraded from trainers to boots, and I still have trouble keeping up with him.  But then he used to be a potholer, and claims that in that world you are only considered hard if you can sleep in a stream.  If I look askance at what he is wearing he makes remarks about grandmothers and eggs and cites his wide experience of five continents and many mountains.
What I would say is start on days when the weather looks dry.  Maybe don't start with monster long walks.  See which bits of you feel uncomfortable, and address them first.
I would agree that starting with boots and good socks is sensible, but I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be giving up boots in favour of trainers, so actually probably the cheapest waterproof jacket you can find, even if it's a pac-a-mac type thing, is the first thing to get, all singing all dancing and breathable jackets can wait.  Then maybe a cheap rucksack to put your lunch and water in.
Then after a few walks, when you are hooked, join us happy equipment junkies and we will all discuss at length exactly which bit of posh kit comes next.  But be warned, we'll all disagree!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:55:39, 10/03/18 »
But be warned, we'll all disagree!

Oh no we won't  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy