Author Topic: Back on Dartmoor!  (Read 10810 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Back on Dartmoor!
« Reply #15 on: 14:18:47, 01/10/20 »
Got another walk in to day - so far keeping up my once-a-week regime.

Belstone, E around Cosdon, then S to Hound Tor, back over the summit of Cosdon and W along Belstone Cleave. Atrocious weather up there, quite a test, didn't see another soul (though the north moor was mostly closed for Army live firing). Took in the Cosdon triple stone rows which I have only seen once before.

Very relieved to get a hot lunch courtesy of a Trekmate pouch - amazingly efficient.

Enchanting walk up the Taw up Belstone Cleave, quite the magical woodland experience with an energetic upland river tumbling over the rocks in a gorge. Sorry I had always bypassed this before, well worth a second look.

If you carry on up the Taw you will pass the Ted Hughes Memorial and finish up close to Cranmere Pool.  It's a walk I find strangely wonderful and peaceful on really foggy days.  Sitting there, at Cranmere pool, just the gentle sounds of the living moor around you on such days, I find it quite bewitching.

thomasdevon

« Reply #16 on: 14:46:22, 01/10/20 »
Both these locations are on my list. I find walking through bad weather on Dartmoor so much more rewarding than on a warm summer's day, never went near the moor in the summer.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:47:07, 12/10/20 »
Both these locations are on my list. I find walking through bad weather on Dartmoor so much more rewarding than on a warm summer's day, never went near the moor in the summer.

Thomas, you might find this recent thread entertaining.  As another who loves Dartmoor in less than perfect conditions.  I may have found my threshold of fun vs just plain cold and wet through, a few weeks back. ;D

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41028.0

thomasdevon

« Reply #18 on: 17:40:40, 12/10/20 »

Thomas, you might find this recent thread entertaining.  As another who loves Dartmoor in less than perfect conditions.  I may have found my threshold of fun vs just plain cold and wet through, a few weeks back. ;D

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41028.0

Hah! Yes, that's a good read, thanks. Good to hear I'm not the only one soaked to the skin. Had to put plastic shopping bags on the car seat again today before I could drive home from Belstone. On the strength of experience 2 weeks ago the kit will take about 3 days to dry.

Nice walk though, I must say. Had a wonderful pot of tea at the little tea rooms as well before I got to the car. I made massive puddles on the floor but the nice leady didn't seem at all put out. :-)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:43:58, 12/10/20 »

Hah! Yes, that's a good read, thanks. Good to hear I'm not the only one soaked to the skin. Had to put plastic shopping bags on the car seat again today before I could drive home from Belstone. On the strength of experience 2 weeks ago the kit will take about 3 days to dry.

Nice walk though, I must say. Had a wonderful pot of tea at the little tea rooms as well before I got to the car. I made massive puddles on the floor but the nice leady didn't seem at all put out. :-)

Ah yes i know that tea room and the pub in Belstone. Great spot to kick off a walk but about as far from where I live in Saltash, as you can get on Dartmoor.  Meldon and the Dartmoor Inn at Brat Tor are my favourite start points.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:07:12, 12/10/20 »

Ah yes i know that tea room and the pub in Belstone. Great spot to kick off a walk but about as far from where I live in Saltash, as you can get on Dartmoor.  Meldon and the Dartmoor Inn at Brat Tor are my favourite start points.
I like the Tor Inn at Belstone, mind you, you are not properly dressed in there  without a dog!  Not so keen on the Dartmoor Inn but not a bad jumping off point.  Quite fond of the Oxenham Arms in South Zeal.  Now that is a pub with a history and even a pre-history.  The dining room ceiling is held up by a standing stone.
« Last Edit: 09:27:47, 13/10/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #21 on: 07:12:33, 13/10/20 »
I like the Tor Inn at Belstone, mind you, you are not properly dressed in their without a dog!  Not so keen on the Dartmoor Inn but not a bad jumping off point.  Quite fond of the Oxenham Arms in South Zeal.  Now that is a pub with a history and even a pre-history.  The dining room ceiling is held up by a standing stone.

Hmmm. The other people in the Belstone tea room both had a dog with them. What is it about dogs and tea rooms? Both were well-behaved and lay quietly on the floor but neither of them were masked.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:34:09, 13/10/20 »

Hmmm. The other people in the Belstone tea room both had a dog with them. What is it about dogs and tea rooms? Both were well-behaved and lay quietly on the floor but neither of them were masked.
Funny you mention the fact the dogs wore no mask in these times.  I asked a small terrier sitting quietly at the entrance to Spar where their mask was, only yesterday. The daft dog didn't seem to understand me though. :o ;)

thomasdevon

« Reply #23 on: 16:06:57, 09/12/20 »
Great to be able to return to the north moor after another lockdown.

Excellent walk from Belstone, forded the Taw at Duckfoot(?), on to Hound Tor, then to the summit of Cosdon, back home via Duckfoot.

The highlights (such as they are) were -
* startled and "put up" a beautiful pair of ravens at close range (can anyone confirm how to distinguish ravens from crows from rooks?)
* the Army (ours) refrained from shooting (though the online calendar promised they would be)
* traces of snow remained visible under the crests of Yes Tor and High Willhays (is there any location on the moor from where Yes Tor appears to be lower than High Willhays?)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:06:32, 10/12/20 »
Great to be able to return to the north moor after another lockdown.

Excellent walk from Belstone, forded the Taw at Duckfoot(?), on to Hound Tor, then to the summit of Cosdon, back home via Duckfoot.

The highlights (such as they are) were -
* startled and "put up" a beautiful pair of ravens at close range (can anyone confirm how to distinguish ravens from crows from rooks?)

Ravens are much bigger than both rooks or crows though that's only helpful when you see them together.  Unlike rooks, Ravens don't normally  flock, they are usually singles, couples or family size groups. The bill is very big, black and without the bare skin that a rook's bill has at the base. Wings narrow and angled. Raven's call is very gruff croak like 'GROK'. In flight the tail appears almost diamond shaped.
Hope that is helpful
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

thomasdevon

« Reply #25 on: 09:33:29, 10/12/20 »

Ravens are much bigger than both rooks or crows though that's only helpful when you see them together.  Unlike rooks, Ravens don't normally [/size]flock, they are usually singles, couples or family size groups. The bill is very big, black and without the bare skin that a rook's bill has at the base. Wings narrow and angled. Raven's call is very gruff croak like 'GROK'. In flight the tail appears almost diamond shaped.
Hope that is helpful

That's a nice description thanks. I didn't know about the tail profile so didn't really note it, but otherwise raven is the best fit. I've seen similar birds before in the same area but this was the first time I was up close - there was a slight hump in the ground between us so they wouldn't have had sight of me until I was close.

thomasdevon

« Reply #26 on: 14:59:16, 07/06/21 »
I'm back on Dartmoor again and sorry to say I hadn't updated here.

Couple of nice walks already under my belt, as ever from Belstone southwards. Last week managed to find myself crossing Okement Hill and finally made the detour to Ted Hughes' memorial stone. Its a plain design but in a charming spot. Might be nice to camp in the little valley near there, it must be a bit sheltered. The climb from the stone east up Hangingstone Hill was direct but damn hot work.

Belstone was jumping when I got back. Tables and chairs outside the chapel tea-room.

Plans are afoot for a camping trek direction of Fur Tor. Need to consult the map though and think out a reasonably firm-going approach route.

thomasdevon

« Reply #27 on: 17:45:07, 13/09/21 »
Back on Dartmoor again today - Belstone out to Hangingstone Hill, Okement Hill and Dinger Tor. Not easy physically after a lengthy lay-off during tourist season.

I was astonished while having lunch at Hangingstone Hill to notice there was a grey squirrel on the roof of the observation post there. Even more surprising was when I spotted another one on the top of Okement Hill. Both are well known to be tree-less since pre-historic times and can only be reached across miles of open grassland. I can only suppose there is such competition for available food in the woodlands in the area that these little guys were desperate.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy