Author Topic: Walking with dogs, what distances are suitable?  (Read 4970 times)

PatrickJ

Re: Walking with dogs, what distances are suitable?
« Reply #30 on: 14:28:43, 10/09/20 »
Oh dear - in a way I'm sorry that you've made that decision but glad if it helped. It is surprising how long it takes for even small dogs to fully mature. Lots of years of shared walks to come O0

It's OK - some of websites I looked at suggested a dog should be 18 months old before introducing them into hiking / extended periods of exercise.

He's pretty happy with doing 5 miles so we'll keep to those distances for a few more months then build him up to longer walks in the new year.

PatrickJ

« Reply #31 on: 19:08:45, 13/09/20 »
Walk done, I'm glad I didn't bring the dog though!  with the warm weather and distance (which ended up being an extra mile on claimed distance) I think he would have struggled for sure, I certainly did.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:23:43, 14/09/20 »
Well done! :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Toxicbunny

« Reply #33 on: 18:42:49, 14/09/20 »
Walk done, I'm glad I didn't bring the dog though!  with the warm weather and distance (which ended up being an extra mile on claimed distance) I think he would have struggled for sure, I certainly did.

It was the sensible thing to do.  You will have many years of walking with your dog just wait a few more month until he's grown. I'm stuck on baby walks as I say with my 9 month old husky at present.  My adult one I do 20 milers. He knows the moors and a good trail dog. I put a back pack on him in winter to carry his own water and have him attached to my waist belt. Handy to pull me up hills and I never get lost. I walk regularly on my own and he's my eyes and ears on the moors. My young husky I dont want his bones to be damaged so I stick to a couple of mile walks. There are still plenty of short walks that are just as scenic.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy