Author Topic: Choosing a new backpack  (Read 2445 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Choosing a new backpack
« Reply #15 on: 21:18:37, 13/04/19 »

I've never, ever, ever felt the need to wash a rucksack; the very idea seems alien to me. Perhaps try disinfectant to kill any bacteria, thoroughly rinse and dry it out, and then let nature take it's course. Or maybe I'm just a disgusting person!

And a good belt is a godsend on a larger pack, up to 70% of the weight transferred directly onto the hips rather than onto the shoulders and spine. I believe that the padded belt should sit over the top of the hip bone. Even on a small pack it helps to stabilise the pack if you are descending rough ground.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:22:24, 13/04/19 »
Watch it all, hips are at 1:58

I've got no chance, there's fat around that area. Thought I might be too fat for hip straps, probably why I avoided them before. Nevermind, the weight isn't uncomfortable how I've got it adjusted now. An ideal pack weight distribution is something I'll just have to live without.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:25:49, 13/04/19 »
I've never, ever, ever felt the need to wash a rucksack; the very idea seems alien to me. Perhaps try disinfectant to kill any bacteria, thoroughly rinse and dry it out, and then let nature take it's course. Or maybe I'm just a disgusting person!

Wouldn't mind it smelling so much if it didn't transfer the stink to my clothes and jackets when wet. I might give disinfectant a try, was going to do ninthace's suggestion of chlorine fumes but don't know how much to dilute the bleach.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:04:47, 13/04/19 »
I'm not sure how the subject of smelly rucksacks crept into this thread about choosing one, but I'm extremely keen to see what solutions are suggested as I have a lovely Eagle Creek briefcase/shoulder bag that I haven't used for some time because the insides have delevoped a nasty, stong foody/fatty sort of a smell. I think it's to do with degrdadation of whatever the coating is on the inside of its cordura-type material.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:15:02, 13/04/19 »
I'm not sure how the subject of smelly rucksacks crept into this thread about choosing one

That's why I needed a new one, the straps on my old one stink. I made a separate thread about it trying to fix it.

but I'm extremely keen to see what solutions are suggested as I have a lovely Eagle Creek briefcase/shoulder bag that I haven't used for some time because the insides have delevoped a nasty, stong foody/fatty sort of a smell. I think it's to do with degrdadation of whatever the coating is on the inside of its cordura-type material.

None of the things I've tried or suggestions I've received are going to work if it's breaking down and smelling for that reason. Good luck.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy