Author Topic: When we hike again, will we have to change?  (Read 2697 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Re: When we hike again, will we have to change?
« Reply #15 on: 07:03:27, 16/05/20 »
I don't think I would have completed my Lejog walk if it hadn't been for the time I spent in pubs and cafes. The great meals and conversations kept me going when I was struggling and are my best memories of the walk. Long distance hiking just wouldn't be the same without them, especially the Pennine Way, It would be depressing passing all those lovely old pubs closed.
On the subject of cooking during the day, I tend to cook my main meals in camp but I've found if I stop during the day and have a good meal, I'm able to walk a lot further. So if I've not stopped in a pub/cafe and eaten well during the day, if the weather allows or I pass a bothy I'll stop and make a meal. I'm then good for another 5 or 10 miles before I camp.
Lets hope they open 'safely' soon.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:59:02, 16/05/20 »
Maybe the reality is that we haven't changed, I think it's just the world around us has.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:57:58, 16/05/20 »
Maybe the reality is that we haven't changed, I think it's just the world around us has.
I thought that is how MPs changed light bulbs.  Put it in the socket and wait for the world to revolve around them.  (Choose your target group, for a fair chunk of my career it was pilots or doctors but you get the idea).
Solvitur Ambulando

Yorci

« Reply #18 on: 17:14:32, 17/05/20 »
It is nice to have a pub half way round on a full day walk and have a chat with the locals and bit of local information, but these days and the struggling pub trade, I've often found them closed. Though I do try to research the villages/pubs to see if they will be open.  But if it's closed, I usually find a local shop in the village where I can buy a beer to have with my lunch before heading back.

I often have my lunch in a thermos, such as sausage and beans, ravioli or a pot noodle and a couple of slices of bread. That said, if I find a pub at lunch time and it's not too packed, I often end up bringing my lunch back with me and have it when I get home.

Walking with Covid may mean a change or two. But they way I walk, I don't think it will be too much of an issue for me. Though I could start to carry a beer with me for lunch, but that would mean drinking a warm beer uuuh.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:18:09, 17/05/20 »
I thought that is how MPs changed light bulbs.  Put it in the socket and wait for the world to revolve around them.  (Choose your target group, for a fair chunk of my career it was pilots or doctors but you get the idea).
Social Workers, although they don't want to change the lightbulb, they just want to take it out of that particular environment for a period of assessment.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:11:22, 17/05/20 »
Walking with Covid may mean a change or two. But they way I walk, I don't think it will be too much of an issue for me. Though I could start to carry a beer with me for lunch, but that would mean drinking a warm beer uuuh.
  Come on - you are the pinnacle of evolution!  Surely you can keep a beer cold for a few hours!
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:12:11, 17/05/20 »
Social Workers, although they don't want to change the lightbulb, they just want to take it out of that particular environment for a period of assessment.
That is true - but first the light bulb must want to change.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:41:12, 20/05/20 »
I have found I have got so used to doing local walks that travelling just to go for a walk requires more motivation than it used to.  First thing in the morning, it is questionable if the effort, time and cost of going further is repaid by a better walking experience, especially if I am going to walk somewhere I have walked before, particulalry while my knee starts to grumble after round 8 miles.
So far we have been back to Exmoor and Dartmoor, retracing known routes so we know what we are going into, and the walking has been OK but just having to drive straight home again at the end rather spoils it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #23 on: 11:15:29, 21/05/20 »
 Because safety from Bears in the US I got into the habit of eating away from night camps and breakfast after a mile or so in the morning. Food and stove are kept at the top of the pack so no great hassle to cook quickly. Sometimes in the UK double porridge sachet and coffee when I am breaking camp.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:22:35, 22/05/20 »
Meeting people along the way is part of the fun, other walkers are rarely out of the ordinary, but locals can often hold us up, often enough to necessitate a change of route plan. From a vantage point above a mid Wales valley we were given a guided tour of the family history of every visible holding and a few beyond and our garrulous guide gave us the un-censored version.

We carried on after that interlude as fully refreshed as after a good meal.

Many of my more memorable encounters have been off the righteous way, perhaps there is something about official ways that knocks the spirit out of the countryside or will it be marked down in history as a bye product of corvid 19
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:48:30, 22/05/20 »
It is nice to have a pub half way round on a full day walk and have a chat with the locals and bit of local information, but these days and the struggling pub trade, I've often found them closed. Though I do try to research the villages/pubs to see if they will be open.  But if it's closed, I usually find a local shop in the village where I can buy a beer to have with my lunch before heading back.

I often have my lunch in a thermos, such as sausage and beans, ravioli or a pot noodle and a couple of slices of bread. That said, if I find a pub at lunch time and it's not too packed, I often end up bringing my lunch back with me and have it when I get home.

Pubs have to be the big worry, there was a NYT article about it recently.  Apparently with 15,000 closed between 2002 and 2019, 2/3rds already in debt before the lockdown we're in a situation where 70% of publicans are doubting they will survive to December if they were forced to be close or only open with reduced capability until then.

So many parts of the British 'outdoor experience' involves pubs, particularly pre-smartphone where these areas became hubs for outdoor types looking for new projects and climbing partners; indeed when I lived abroad it was one of the main things people envied about British outdoor culture and how synonymous outdoor excursions somewhere could be married with finishing off with a few beers with the locals.

e: making sense
« Last Edit: 10:37:46, 22/05/20 by forgotmyoldpassword »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:03:08, 22/05/20 »
So many parts of the British 'outdoor experience' involves pubs, particularly pre-smartphone where these areas became hubs for outdoor types looking for new projects and climbing partners; indeed when I lived abroad it was one of the main things people envied about British outdoor culture was how synonymous it could be with an excursion somewhere finishing in a few beers with the locals.
Too true, I avoided my local climbing club because there seemed to be need to fit you into a mold of someone else's making. The weekend culture of the North Wales climbers scene was a wonderful mix, the 1960's at it best, beat Carnaby street, or was Carnalaby Street hands down.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:44:24, 22/05/20 »
Too true, I avoided my local climbing club because there seemed to be need to fit you into a mold of someone else's making. The weekend culture of the North Wales climbers scene was a wonderful mix, the 1960's at it best, beat Carnaby street, or was Carnalaby Street hands down.

Climbing clubs are a funny beast, particularly when you don't match their 'culture' - must admit I'm a little envious of the old North Wales climbing scene and how close-knit it seemed to be - though it is still a proving ground for many up and coming British alpinists and climbers.

There is supposedly an interesting book on the era, 'Mountain Men: A history of early rock climbing in North Wales' which covers much of this period and I'll have to find a copy at some point.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy