Author Topic: The Derwent Valley Skyline  (Read 2293 times)

harry_keogh

The Derwent Valley Skyline
« on: 20:04:10, 10/05/17 »
Found this walk on the LDWA website, and seemed like a good challenge. Also seemed like a taste of things to come as I plan to walk the full Derwent watershed in June.

It was arduous alright, and my legs, feet, and knees were truly done in at the end of it all. It was a fantastic walk though and I wouldn't have changed a thing! No pain, no gain :)

Full trip report: The Derwent Valley Skyline

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: The Derwent Valley Skyline
« Reply #1 on: 08:12:09, 11/05/17 »
That's a fab walk Harry. Lovely photos too  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:30:57, 11/05/17 »
That's a cracking walk, Harry - and a cracking TR too, you got some great photos and I love the "For peat's sake" caption!  ;D   O0

I've done most of the summits there but not yet the Bleaklow Stones and judging by your report I might be best waiting for a prolonged dry spell before I do. I can't imagine doing it all in one go, though - that's seriously impressive!

harry_keogh

« Reply #3 on: 09:21:14, 11/05/17 »
That's a fab walk Harry. Lovely photos too  O0

Thanks!

That's a cracking walk, Harry - and a cracking TR too, you got some great photos and I love the "For peat's sake" caption!  ;D   O0

I've done most of the summits there but not yet the Bleaklow Stones and judging by your report I might be best waiting for a prolonged dry spell before I do. I can't imagine doing it all in one go, though - that's seriously impressive!

Would have been much easier walking after a prolonged dry spell. This week would have actually been great for it. I'm starting to build my walks up in length as I'm training to be fit for 2 whopping walks in June! I'll be trying the complete Derwent Watershed at the beginning of June, and the full 47 mile Pendle Way route at the end of June. Judging by how knackered I was at the end of this 23 mile one, I'm starting to feel a little worried!

John Walker

« Reply #4 on: 20:55:41, 14/05/17 »
Another stunning walk and TR.  I particularly liked your photo of Alport Castles and the Tower (in the full TR). There's no way I could follow a walk of that length (maybe too old or just too lazy) but I'll see if I can work out a shorter route from Edale to Alport Castles when I'm next in the PD. (Might involve the 7-minute crossing?  ;) )

BTW I noticed two places called 'Featherstone Moss' within a couple of km of each other on your map, then saw another one about 10km away, as well as the well known 'Featherbed Top'.  Seems a bit mad to have duplicate names so close together, or maybe 'featherbed' just refers to a type of terrain?  Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:19:00, 14/05/17 »
A tad wet in places  ;D .  It's interesting to see how much the peat has receded from around Outer Edge trig point.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

harry_keogh

« Reply #6 on: 22:24:04, 14/05/17 »
Another stunning walk and TR.  I particularly liked your photo of Alport Castles and the Tower (in the full TR). There's no way I could follow a walk of that length (maybe too old or just too lazy) but I'll see if I can work out a shorter route from Edale to Alport Castles when I'm next in the PD. (Might involve the 7-minute crossing?  ;) )

BTW I noticed two places called 'Featherstone Moss' within a couple of km of each other on your map, then saw another one about 10km away, as well as the well known 'Featherbed Top'.  Seems a bit mad to have duplicate names so close together, or maybe 'featherbed' just refers to a type of terrain?  Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

I posed the same question a while back on the Dark Peak Facebook group. If you're a member of that group, you can see the answer I recieved: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DarkPeakUK/permalink/1844014399192398/?match=ZmVhdGhlcmJlZCBtb3NzZXMsZmVhdGhlcmJlZCBtb3NzLGZlYXRoZXJiZWQsbW9zc2VzLG1vc3M%3D

harry_keogh

« Reply #7 on: 22:25:02, 14/05/17 »
A tad wet in places  ;D .  It's interesting to see how much the peat has receded from around Outer Edge trig point.

It's the first time I've visited it! I'd love to see a photo from 10 years back to see how it compares

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:16:24, 15/05/17 »
Fantastic photos, really like Alport dale O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:26:27, 16/05/17 »
23 miles! OH my god!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

harry_keogh

« Reply #10 on: 15:34:48, 16/05/17 »
23 miles! OH my god!

This was designed to be a warm up for the Yorkshire Three Peaks, which I've just done at the weekend. I actually found the Peak District one harder.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:42:59, 16/05/17 »
I did a walk called the Hayfield Skyline on Sunday.  The organiser called it the Kinder Skyline but I've seen it listed in a publication as the Hayfield Skyline. He also swapped Mount Famine for South Head, although I don't see why you couldn't do both.

It's about 19 miles long (a few of our group used GPS's but there were slight variations in total distance walked.)

The route is roughly Hayfield - Lantern Pike - Rowarth - Cown Edge - Burnt Hill - Mill Hill - Kinder Ridge (including the Downfall) - South Head - Hayfield.

I think it's a great walk and I'd definitely do it again O0

Have you done it Harry?
***Happiness is only a smile away***

harry_keogh

« Reply #12 on: 16:56:26, 16/05/17 »
I did a walk called the Hayfield Skyline on Sunday.  The organiser called it the Kinder Skyline but I've seen it listed in a publication as the Hayfield Skyline. He also swapped Mount Famine for South Head, although I don't see why you couldn't do both.

It's about 19 miles long (a few of our group used GPS's but there were slight variations in total distance walked.)

The route is roughly Hayfield - Lantern Pike - Rowarth - Cown Edge - Burnt Hill - Mill Hill - Kinder Ridge (including the Downfall) - South Head - Hayfield.

I think it's a great walk and I'd definitely do it again O0

Have you done it Harry?

No, I've not done that one although it looks interesting. Do you have the route on Viewranger or OSMaps? and... did you have to walk through any cow fields?  :)

I will be doing the Kinder edge and Mill Hill bit in June when I do the Derwent Watershed.

John Walker

« Reply #13 on: 21:52:00, 18/05/17 »
I posed the same question a while back on the Dark Peak Facebook group. If you're a member of that group, you can see the answer I recieved: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DarkPeakUK/permalink/1844014399192398/?match=ZmVhdGhlcmJlZCBtb3NzZXMsZmVhdGhlcmJlZCBtb3NzLGZlYXRoZXJiZWQsbW9zc2VzLG1vc3M%3D

Thanks!  I just signed up for the Dark Peak Facebook Group and read the reply you received.  Very interesting, particularly that the Featherbed Moss name seems to imply a quagmire  :o I might just try to plan my walks to avoid those placenames in future... Although I guess you've got to get a bit wet/muddy or you're not a real Peak freak?
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

harry_keogh

« Reply #14 on: 22:59:34, 18/05/17 »
Quote from: John Walker
Thanks!  I just signed up for the Dark Peak Facebook Group and read the reply you received.  Very interesting, particularly that the Featherbed Moss name seems to imply a quagmire  :o I might just try to plan my walks to avoid those placenames in future... Although I guess you've got to get a bit wet/muddy or you're not a real Peak freak?

Being knee deep in peat is all part of the Dark Peak experience! Not a problem if you're well equipped with good waterproof boots and gaitors.  :)

Admittedly, it is hard going after several miles of it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy