Author Topic: Celebrating 50 years of the Pennine Way  (Read 2799 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Celebrating 50 years of the Pennine Way
« on: 22:17:22, 27/07/15 »
Too late for tonight but BBC2 are showing 4 programs this week at 1930 about the Pennine Way, watched the first one tonight and quite good  O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Celebrating 50 years of the Pennine Way
« Reply #1 on: 20:01:49, 28/07/15 »
Just watched the second one, enjoyed it too, is that guy sponsored by Montane?  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

red dragon

« Reply #2 on: 20:06:03, 28/07/15 »
Just going to use Iplayer and watch.
Thinking on having ago next year.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:19:08, 28/07/15 »
Sure seemed that way, Phil!
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:17:28, 29/07/15 »
Tuesday's episode, which I've just watched on the recorder, annoyed me. For example, did so much of a 30 minutes episode about the Pennine Way have to be spent on climbing the cliff at Malham Tarn? Sure, it was of interest to all us outdoorsy types on here, but how much of that footage was to do with the PW? Not a lot in my opinion. I wanted to see more of the places and people along the route.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:12:56, 29/07/15 »
I've seen them all so far this week and think they are good. The problem I have with them is that I have been planning to walk the PW in 2016 for years and now it is going to be really busy.

Stube

« Reply #6 on: 10:39:16, 30/07/15 »
I agree, the programmes are not really about the Pennine Way. It's noticeable that the camera shots are rarely much more than a mile from the nearest road/track. It's obvious that the narrator is doing very little actual walking.
110 miles so far and not one shot of the flagstones that pave so much of the moors these days!
A missed opportunity.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:04:06, 30/07/15 »
Flags shown tonight, as well as some good shots of Colin and Joyce :)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:36:25, 09/01/16 »
The problem with the Pennine Way, is that it follows the entire backbone of England, starting in the Scottish borders in Kirk Yetholm and finishing in Edale, which is not far from Buxton and the Peak District.
Unless you actually physically walk the designated path,from start to finish,and do not deviate from the path, its very difficult to give a couch potato an idea of what walking the Pennine Way,entails.

Scotland,County Durham, North Yorkshire, Derbyshire and everything in between, the terrain and topography is very diverse.
 :D 
I recon Griff Rhys Jones, and his series titled "Mountain" some years ago, made a very gallant attempt, when one of his episodes featured the Pennines.

I thought his comment regarding less than ten miles distant, was a large city of people who had never seen a mountain,let alone walk one, was very apt for Kinder Scout.

Bleak moorland, Kinder Scout, Lets pop into the highest pub in England, the Tan Hill, right on the County Durham North Yorkshire Moors border, in even more desolate terrain one can imagine.

Where does one start? :-\  Well You could try and beat 62hrs 18min 16sec from Kirk Yetholm to the Nags Head doorstep.

You could then tell us all, how diverse the countryside the Pennine Way goes through.

The Pennine Way was one of the first designated Long Distance paths here in the Uk, and where ever you park your car, to traverse a small section of it, it will be in very remote country.

It remains the oldest, and possibly remotest path,in the whole Uk.

Plan your journey wisely, and it will be a huge adventure to remember for a life time.
« Last Edit: 12:56:11, 09/01/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy