Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 571851 times)

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #30 on: 22:55:14, 10/02/13 »
Just been on a great navigation course this weekend with Flowerpot and feeling much more confident about being more adventerous in devising my own walks.  Looking at doing the next course to take it a step further already  :)

Thankyou Michael, Flowerpot and I had a great day out  O0

Its good to see people from the forum passing on there skills and experience to others. It makes this forum a better place for inexperienced people to gain knowledge and experience off others. I am glad you enjoyed your course Glyders. It's a very good skill to have and you should practice navigation regularly.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Elvis Presley

« Reply #31 on: 05:22:13, 11/02/13 »
This is quite interesting.  I've read lots of books, but there is probably nothing like going on a walk with someone with vast experience, provided they're willing to pass on some of that knowledge.  I've not considered a guided walk previously, but perhaps I will now.
Thank you very much.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: 11:45:25, 11/02/13 »
This is quite interesting.  I've read lots of books, but there is probably nothing like going on a walk with someone with vast experience, provided they're willing to pass on some of that knowledge.  I've not considered a guided walk previously, but perhaps I will now.

Sign up for the meets section. There are lots of experienced people on here. Go along to the meets and ask questions. Most people who have been on a few years started like that. Others took them on walks and showed them routes etc. People then gain new skills and confidence. Learn navigation and then go out on there own.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:49:56, 11/02/13 »
Since joining the forum I've been on many meets and learnt a lot from other peoples knowledge and experience (and I'm still learning) and though Flowerpot and I have been using maps for years and I use a GPS, neither of us felt we had quite to got to grips with a compass. 

I haven't been self disciplined enough to go out and practice with the compass so with a good Navigational course recommended to us, Flowerpot and I decided it was  a good time to book ourselves onto it.  It was a great course and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else.  I'm looking at booking myself onto the next one now  O0

Jellybelly

« Reply #34 on: 21:06:51, 11/02/13 »
Great news Glyders

I am sure to get my commission ;D

so when are we going out map reading
Is that so

Gary

« Reply #35 on: 22:08:09, 11/02/13 »
Who runs the course and where is it based ?

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:33:03, 11/02/13 »
Who runs the course and where is it based ?

http://peaknavigationcourses.co.uk/

Though he is a member of this forum for his own purpose and doesn't advertise on here, I hope it's ok include the link as Michael runs the courses.  As you can see they're based in the Peaks.  We did a one day course which included six of us.  We were made very welcome and we felt we were in very capable and knowledgable hands.

Great news Glyders

I am sure to get my commission ;D

so when are we going out map reading

Soon JB, we need to keep practicing  O0

Gary

« Reply #37 on: 23:10:11, 11/02/13 »
Thank you Glyders

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:09:18, 12/02/13 »
Brilliant Sioban. Like you I know my maps back to front & upside down, should do I worked in cartography! But the compass, though I have some knowledge, its somewhat rusty. Shall be looking this one up if you recommend it.

Glad you all had a positive & welcoming day & thanks for the info. O0
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 13:21:30, 12/02/13 »
Oh & as for walking this weekend ... should, all being well hit South Wales ... now there's a good choice of hills.
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:33:06, 12/02/13 »
Brilliant Sioban. Like you I know my maps back to front & upside down, should do I worked in cartography! But the compass, though I have some knowledge, its somewhat rusty. Shall be looking this one up if you recommend it.

Glad you all had a positive & welcoming day & thanks for the info. O0

Thanks Gary and MMK O0

Being a bit of a geek, I really enjoyed it.  As a fellow map geek Kerry, I think you would too  ;) ;D

Elvis Presley

« Reply #41 on: 21:18:34, 12/02/13 »
I have a rusty compass too.   :(
Thank you very much.

ianclark1

« Reply #42 on: 21:35:57, 12/02/13 »
Chelmsford centenary circle on Sunday , then three peaks in the dales on Thursday .

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:57:59, 13/02/13 »
Nowhere. Which is good and bad. I've just had surgery on both eyes and have to be careful, so walking in wind and rain is best avoided at the moment. I've become a hermit and will continue to be one for another couple of weeks. But good because I've ditched my glasses and my sight is rapidly improving so when I do go out in the rain, I'll be able to do it without needing windscreen wipers on my specs.
 O0
~
Sue

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:16:49, 13/02/13 »
I wish you a speedy recovery from your eye surgery Sue so you can get out and about again.  O0

April
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy