Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 275022 times)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #15 on: 15:51:45, 20/09/16 »
I am very lucky in that it is only 45 minutes drive to the Clwyd hills, mid week is the best time to walk the middle section over the highest point as it gets very busy up by the old tower on Sundays, nowhere to sit down for a sandwich.  The whole ridge is fifteen miles long, best trail ridge walk in the country if you are stuck for ideas, and enjoyable all seasons.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:16:44, 20/09/16 »
Loved that part of Offa's Dyke, if it was closer I'd walk it regularly  O0
Where there's a will ...

Sloth

« Reply #17 on: 16:57:47, 20/09/16 »
Knocked off another 12 miles of the Welsh coast path today, Loughor to Pembrey walking along the estuary.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:03:46, 20/09/16 »
I'll be walking to work after twenty days off. Four nights of walking there at half five pm, coming back at seven am

Thanks for nothing, pal.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:48:41, 20/09/16 »
Well I walked round Whitby today. Got wet!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:06:52, 20/09/16 »
Well I walked round Whitby today. Got wet!

Were you in the sea?

Was nice walking from Hebden Bridge to Haworth today in a tshirt :-p
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:08:14, 20/09/16 »
Well the village of Glencoe has been taken over by a tv film crew for a couple of days. They're making a new detective series - won't spoil it by telling you what it is.................great to see lots of the locals getting parts in it.  Myself & two friends decided to walk part of the West Highland way today from Br of Orchy to King's House Hotel. Great walk with good weather. I think we were the only Scots walking it - lots of European & American walkers doing the 'way'.
In case you didn't know, the hotel will close at the end of October for a complete refurbishment. A new bunk house is in the process of being built. This will also have a bar and restaurant. The hotel will re-open sometime in 2018.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:24:54, 20/09/16 »

Exciting times  :D

You got a shortlist/decided on what boots yet?
Looking for a B1 Dom for the winter  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:11:58, 20/09/16 »
During the week I'm sometimes walking on the South Downs and the Sussex coast

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:49:09, 20/09/16 »
Walking in Cornwall most of last week, arrived by accident on the top of Brown Willy to find it to be the highest point of that county, stumbled across a film crew doing their thing for some of the next series of Poldark on the cliff tops.

Did notice that there are large parts of the county where I CANNOT walk but was not there long enough to put it to the test.

Where will I be walking this week, now that is the question, don't know myself till I've been there, but it will not be as far away as Cornwall.

Good to here you got around Cornwall a little bit.  Bodmin moor is not huge but it is a really nice place to walk.  Did you get to the Jamaica Inn near Brown Willy, it's one of my favourite little training jaunts up and back for Brunch.  Oftenl mizzly but still fun.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:46:41, 21/09/16 »
In case you didn't know, the hotel will close at the end of October for a complete refurbishment. A new bunk house is in the process of being built. This will also have a bar and restaurant. The hotel will re-open sometime in 2018.

That could be bad news its been a fantastic free campsite for a lot of years now.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:51:40, 21/09/16 »

Good to here you got around Cornwall a little bit.  Bodmin moor is not huge but it is a really nice place to walk.  Did you get to the Jamaica Inn near Brown Willy, it's one of my favourite little training jaunts up and back for Brunch.  Oftenl mizzly but still fun.

Still good for a 6 or so mile circular, we started from a very attractive parking spot at Bowithick by an old pack horse bridge. Had only intended to stretch legs but were led deeper into the moor by the curious diggings and then saw the Brown Willy ridge at about a mile away, livestock tracks showed us the way through the bog and the infant Fowey was just a standing long jump for a septuagenarian, Mrs BWW flew over. The going got a bit difficult when we got to the boundary fence as no L-stock on the Brown Willy side. Lack of tenant.
Set up a Short Eared Owl amongst the gorse before we reached the trod to the top.

Chatted to guy on by the trig, who is organising large school walk up there, he seemed to have walk in from the Jamaica Inn direction. One of his routes onto the moor seems to have been terminated by the landowners vandalism, which results from the Sarah Slade / Country Landowners creed of stopping de-facto access for fear of it becoming RoW.

Made the walk into a circular by skirting around the top of the Source of the Fowey to the Watershed and a very attractive defile north of Buttern Hill, where the embankment of a leat makes an interesting parapet walk following the contour back to an easy descent to the track we originally started out on.

Yes, I did visit Jamaica Inn, my last memory was from the 1950's, when my mother took me on holiday to Port Isaac, I think, the sign still creeked then as described by Daphne du Maurier, but it is very different today.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:33:38, 21/09/16 »
Were you in the sea?

Was nice walking from Hebden Bridge to Haworth today in a tshirt :-p
No troosers? The mind boggles :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #29 on: 15:52:52, 21/09/16 »
Bleaklow today...

Cool.

8)

Cwm Eigiau recce with the Mrs tomorrow.

O0
Twitter: @jonesibfc

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy