Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 275019 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #450 on: 20:52:30, 17/11/17 »
Today was so sunny and clear. I excelled myself, I went out twice! I did a walk (5 miles) around a Havant country park and in the afternoon did an off road run around Farlington Marshes, our local bird sanctuary. So many bird watchers out today, tripods, cameras and HUGE lenses!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #451 on: 17:09:00, 24/11/17 »
On Wednesday I caught a train to Petersfield (I have a Senior railcard so its cheap enough) then hiked south into Queen Elizabeth Country Park. It was a beautiful dat, lots of bright sunshine, the only drawback was it was rather windy. I stopped for coffee and cake at the visitor centre, which was very nice. I then hiked on to a small hamlet, Chalton, then up and over the downs to Rowlands Castle ande caught the train back to Portsmouth. I jumped on the train, got my debit card and senior Railcard out and waited for the conductor. He never came, I didn't see him or her anywhere!

After having a chat in the pub that evening about my 'interesting' trip, I was told that loads of people travel free in our train area. The explanation put forward is that it is most unlikely that between Havant to Portsmouth Harbour the conductor will makes an effort to collect fares. They tend to make the effort before Havant, but not after. I was told that if a passenger travels between Portsmouth Harbour to Havant most conductors will not bother to collect. This ruse evidently is used a lot when people are travelling to and from Portsmouth football ground on match days. I even learned another trick, a couple of the customers told me that if the trains final destination is Portsmouth and Southsea station and you want to avoid paying and the exit gates are not open, or are manned by staff, the 'trick' is to nip up to Platform One and catch the next train to Portsmouth Harbour. All you then have to do is get to off the train and just walk out of the station. There are no ticket barriers at Portsmouth Harbour.

Its amazing what people will tell others when they have had a few pints!

harry_keogh

« Reply #452 on: 22:19:41, 12/12/17 »
Will hopefully be able to get out in the snow for the first time on Friday. I'm planning to head up to westend moor from Howden Reservoir, then up to Bleaklow Stones and the Grinah Stones before coming back down.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #453 on: 21:21:28, 21/12/17 »
Keswick area tomorrow.
Not all those who wander are lost

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #454 on: 08:59:26, 22/12/17 »
Castleton area today - a pre-cursor walk before our groups main Xmas Walk tomorrow O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #455 on: 20:39:56, 22/12/17 »
I enjoyed a quick 8 mile blow around South Bodmin moor, after an early finish at Work today.  Visited Notter Tor. I have not been back there since I was in my teens.  It's clear there are no animals grazing either, as it was tough going, brambles every where. 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #456 on: 21:47:37, 25/12/17 »
I know it's Christmas Day...but it's a Monday, so this is still a walk that was done during the week! :D

Our group started at Ilam and the route sort of went like this; Thorpe - Lin Dale - Dove Dale - The Nabs - Shining Tor - Milldale - another bit of Dovedale - Ilam Rock - Air Cottage - Bunster Hill.

There were a couple of steep climbs and steep descents...but a great walk of around 11 miles.  It's the quietest I've seen Dovedale for years!! 8)

Not sure where I'm going tomorrow yet.....but sarnies made, camera charged & boots waxed and ready to go! O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #457 on: 20:44:33, 28/01/18 »
Started the West (or more apt to call it Wet) Highland Way today, so during the week I shall be hopefully completing the other 4 days before starting the Great Glen Way in Friday.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #458 on: 21:23:41, 10/02/18 »
I'm going to Haworth next week, three days, Tue/Wed/Thurs. Not been for a few years. The weather forecast doesn't look too good, I'm booked in the YH.

Ilona

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #459 on: 08:02:41, 11/02/18 »
As I'm still in 'recovery' mode after my recent hernia op, I've just been doing short flat walks from home, between 2.5-4.5 miles each.
Basically a (boring) mixture of tarmac lanes and the Monsal Trail...but at least it's a start! :)

Unfortunately, I had some complications after my initial surgery (a large haematoma developed) and was taken back into hospital via ambulance the following day, only to have a second operation to remove it
and repair the damaged blood vessel :(  I came home a couple of days later.

I'm still a bit bruised and swollen and the stitches haven't yet dissolved fully, so I have to be careful.  No legging it up Kinder Scout for a few weeks yet! ::)

Still...Spring is just around the corner and I should be fully recovered by then and able to make the most of it :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #460 on: 13:36:09, 11/02/18 »
Best wishes for your recovery sunnydale    :)    Sorry to hear there were complications but glad you've been able to do some walking

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #461 on: 19:48:27, 11/02/18 »
Best wishes for your recovery sunnydale    :)    Sorry to hear there were complications but glad you've been able to do some walking

Thanks Dovegirl :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #462 on: 08:30:17, 12/02/18 »
What bad luck, Sunnydale - best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.  :)
Use the shorter walks for some photography?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #463 on: 18:41:43, 12/02/18 »
Use the shorter walks for some photography?

Thanks Jac :)   I suppose I could do...but there's not much to photograph where I'm walking at the moment!
It was better today with some snow around, only I didn't have my camera with me.
More sleet/snow forecast for tomorrow, so if it's decent enough to get out, I'll make sure I take it.
I could take a birthday selfie, if nothing else! :D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #464 on: 08:03:34, 13/02/18 »
Happy Birthday Sunnydale, I hope things are looking up for you soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy