Author Topic: Viewranger's 2017 Walking Challenge  (Read 9892 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Viewranger's 2017 Walking Challenge
« on: 14:14:55, 27/12/16 »
Riding on the back of the Country Walking 1000 mile challenge, Viewranger are doing something similar, with a choice of 250, 500, 1000 and 1500 mile challenges. 

They admit they were inspired by Country Walking's Walk 1000 miles after reading someone's blog who used Viewranger to log and keep track of their distances.

All you need to do is sign up to your chosen challenge, track record every walk you do using VR and the app/site does the rest, including adding you to a leaderboard. 

Might be of interest for anyone who wants a goal for 2017 but feels 1000 miles is beyond them  :) 

... And no, you can't take 12 devices with you and track 1 walk on them for the mileage to be multiplied by 12  :D   ;D 

« Last Edit: 17:05:37, 27/12/16 by Mel »

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger's 2017 Walking Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 15:26:04, 27/12/16 »
I've just got in from todays walk and uploaded the track to Viewranger as usual to find that during 2016 I've accumulated almost 961kms. I am particularly miffed as there have been a few walks that I failed to record and I'm unlikely to clock up a further 40kms before Sunday.
 >:(

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:20:52, 27/12/16 »
But isn't the 'challenge' miles, not km. No matter, you have done an awful lot more than many on here (including me ::)).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:50:02, 27/12/16 »
But isn't the 'challenge' miles, not km.

I don't know, I wasn't even aware of the 'challenge'. Doubt whether I could chalk up 1000 miles in a year.

John Walker

« Reply #4 on: 17:01:05, 27/12/16 »
I 'signed up' for the easiest Viewranger  challenge (250 miles equals approx 400km), recording only when I went out for a proper walk, and I've just realised I am not going to achieve even that apparently easy goal :-[ .  Only 4 more days and I am still 60km short and I won't find time for a walk of any length before Jan 1st...  My Fitbit (OK I'm a saddo) tells me I have walked a total of 3,120 km in 2016 so if I had recorded every shuffling step I would have easily achieved the VR challenge. This leads me on to a New Year resolution.  In 2017 I will try to do more genuine and enjoyable 'proper walks' and less aimless shuffling around!

Happy New Year!
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:14:44, 27/12/16 »
I'd be out a walk 40km at once.. Couldn't miss a target by such a small amount while there was still day light and breath in my body. O0

Well done either way.

How does the technology work?  I still write my walks down on a spread sheet.  Even the lunch time ones.  Every mile counts.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:29:24, 27/12/16 »
Don't know if this pic will work but my (recorded) mileage this year is pathetic  ;D

Having said that, similar to Glyno and JohnWalker, I've not recorded every single walk I did, such as walks to the shops or round the block leg stretches, or even regular local walks.  I think over the course of a year all those "little" walks would add up to quite a bit to be honest  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:43:35, 27/12/16 »
BuzyG - You create an account on Viewranger (free).  You load the (free) app onto your phone.  Then sign up to the mileage challenge of your choosing (free).

Then every time you go for a walk you "record track" on your phone and save it when you've finished.  Then "synchronise" it for it to register on the challenge page  :)

I think I'm going for the 250 miles challenge so I don't over-face myself (or wreck my tendon again).  It'll encourage me to get out little and often I think rather than mega-yomps that leave me in pain (that pesky tendon again) during the walk and two or three days after.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:02:48, 27/12/16 »
Thanks Mel.  I will give this some consideration.  I log all walks on Dartmoor on the OS App.  Then add those to my spread sheet with other walks.  Still don't get how it knows where you have been walking if you spend a good deal of time out of phone signal range most walks I go on there is no phone signal for long stretches.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:09:41, 27/12/16 »
It will use the GPS receiver in your phone (doesn't need a phone network or data signal)  O0

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:52:49, 27/12/16 »
Perhaps I'm in a minority, but I don't really see the point in trying to achieve a set number of miles in a year.  I go out for a walk whenever I feel like it, but there are days when either I don't feel like it or I have something else that needs doing, and I wouldn't want to feel that I had to go walking just to keep the mileage up.  I think in that case walking could become a chore and I would lose the enjoyment.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:35:16, 27/12/16 »
I think the clue is in the word... challenge.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:59:55, 27/12/16 »
I'm with DevonDave. I am not motivated by mileage or hill bagging although I do record both.  I publish new walks on haroldstreet.org and on gpsies.com so other people can enjoy them. The former automatically hill bags for you as a quid pro quo for publishing it  and both give distances.  I keep track of our mileage and ascent as part of a diary spreadsheet where I log each walk for my own interest. I also have all the walks I have done since I got a gps in a Memorymap file.  It's fun on the long winter evenings to look back on past trips.
I only bag hills that get in the way so for example I do not have a full set of Wainwrights, some haven't been on the route yet and some aren't worth it IMHO.
Good luck to those doing the Viewranger challenge though - if that is what floats your boat go to it but don't let it ruin your love of walking by making walking a chore.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:33:24, 29/12/16 »
I think, for some people, things like this provide the incentive to get out for a walk and not necessarily something to aim for.  If I wanted a challenge I'd go for the 1000 mile option.  I don't, I just want some incentive and motivation to get off my backside, so I'm plumping for the 250 mile option  :)

.... given that I only did 100 miles this year, even that's not looking likely  :D  ;D

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:08:57, 29/12/16 »
I too, am not motivated by mileage or hillbagging (which is why my signature has been 213/214 for many years ;)). I am motivated by my love of the great outdoors. Seeing just how far I've walked in a calendar year is largely irrelevant, but of interest just the same.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy