Author Topic: What are your plans for 2017?  (Read 9793 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
What are your plans for 2017?
« on: 13:19:50, 30/12/16 »
I don't think there's a thread on this yet so thought I would start one.  Having walked the Pennine Way this year, that was the biggie for us, so anything else now is probably going to be shorter and hopefully easier. Though being much nearer 60 now and the aches and pains I seem to be suffering more from, that's probably a good thing!

We were considering Offa's Dyke but having realised neither of us have done any of the national 3 peaks we are thinking of doing those instead but over 3 separate holidays.  But then it seems silly to go all the way up to Scotland just to do Ben Nevis so we might have to throw in the West Highland way.  And while we're over in Wales, well you get my drift.... Not sure if I can take that much holiday though.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your plans for 2017?
« Reply #1 on: 15:55:00, 30/12/16 »
Quite a few trips pencilled in for 2017 so far, walks from my youth that I'm revisiting amongst others.  On the to do list - Lyke Wake Walk West to East crossing, The National Three Peaks, Blencathra via Sharp Edge,  Helvelyn via Striding Edge, more of Hadrian's Wall  and am also toying with the idea of the Northumbrian version of the Three peaks.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:01:52, 30/12/16 »
Well this time last year I was putting in a similar thread that I was off on the Penine Way but that never happened due to my son being unwell. Having hardly walked at all this year I aim to do a bit more in 2017 and hopefully get up to the Lakes and bag a few more Wainwrights if my boy is up to it.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:10:00, 30/12/16 »
Nothing epic.

Will aim to do "Beast of Bolsolver" sometime in 2017 (18 miles, so will need to build up from 6 to 10 milers done this year), go to Shropshire (based on Shrewsbury) a few times, and do walks in Hope Valley ( Edale, Bamford, Hathersage, Grindleford area) most weeks.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:08:12, 30/12/16 »
West Highland Way - again! More or less all booked up. Four of us in the party. Start beginning of May.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:16:15, 30/12/16 »
Same as always; More coastal walks (already got Anglesey booked for April), explore more new areas and naturally, lots of walking locally in the Peaks  O0

Might just throw in a trip to either Austria or Switzerland too, if things go according to plan 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Murphy

« Reply #6 on: 17:30:41, 30/12/16 »
Skye for a week.  Backpack Pennine Journey circular from Settle which should be a couple of weeks.  Then long weekends here and there as they arise .

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:07:05, 30/12/16 »
My main goal, for this forthcoming year, is to stay in good health, and with luck, drive the lovely North Coast 500 route.
Ive done most of the route by touring coach, but one always wants to stop off at every given opportunity, for the amazing views, and photo opportunities.
I will never forget my first view towards Suilven, even though the weather was not superb, the scenery was amongst the finest Ive seen in the UK.
Its a long trek north, but definitely worth going back  to explore further.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:22:08, 30/12/16 »
My main goal for 2017 is to get Dyffryn Ardudwy on a Walking Forum meet.

John Walker

« Reply #9 on: 18:32:02, 30/12/16 »
I don't usually admit my plans for the new walking year although I have generally thought about it a bit. But maybe if I state what I'm aiming for in 2017 that will increase the incentive to do it! So I am planning to finish off the Pembrokeshire Coast Path and the North Downs Way (both half done!) I'm hoping to have enough holiday left to spend a week in the Dark Peak, having had a really great time there during 2016.  And if I manage all that I should be able to complete the Viewranger 250 mile challenge in 2017, having failed this year.  Oh yes, I also want to visit some of the new stretches of the England Coast Path...... I had better stop there, I seem to be getting carried away.
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:34:58, 30/12/16 »
My main aim is simply to do lots of walking.  I've planned many new walks in Sussex, a lot of them in the High Weald and the Wealden Greensand.  Where to go further afield I haven't decided yet! 

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:30:22, 30/12/16 »
My main aim is to still be here for 2018 O0 O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:31:40, 30/12/16 »
My plans include c2c in April/May with mountaingirl, The Grand canyon, hike down and back up again, possibly in early March,  start the swcp with my other half, though I imagine it will take us a few years of intermittent effort, , I have a brecon beaconstrip already booked and hope to join in with other group meet ups from here. Kinda want to do a walk in France too, maybe join an organised trip for something (TMB, perhaps)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:41:52, 30/12/16 »
Another 1000 miles. My blog readers want to do it and they need me to bully them into getting off their backsides. Can't let them down. I will be doing other walks, a few more than 2017 because I don't have the ties of a dog any more. Will make up plans as and when the time comes. I don't do much advance planning.
Ilona

snoopdawg

« Reply #14 on: 19:47:53, 30/12/16 »
Doing the SNT (my version incorporating the WHW) early April, coast to coast in August and a Blair Atholl to Poolewe backpack in October.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy