Author Topic: What are your plans for 2017?  (Read 9791 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your plans for 2017?
« Reply #30 on: 19:03:28, 31/12/16 »
Alewife............ been down into the Grand Canyon so can answer any questions you might have ..... not a one day effort to the river and back.

Cheers for that. I won't hijack this thread but will start a new one once our dates/plans start to firm up. O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:20:55, 31/12/16 »
Blencathra, Helvellyn, Pillar, Dow Crag to Wetherlam, Langdale Pikes :)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:26:36, 01/01/17 »
After a bit of mulling this is what I have come up with

- walk 1000 miles again
- average 8000 steps per day
- walk at least one Munro when we are in Knoydart
- explore the walking in areas closer to where I live eg Malvern Hills; Shropshire; Forest of Dean;
- Further afield - become familiar with the Brecon Beacons; maybe even venture to N Wales
- edited to add walks from my Howgills book that son got me for my birthday. I've a bit of a hankering for the Mallerstang walk.

Right, I'd better get moving on goal 2 - only managed 391 steps so far today. It would help if I got up!!

Happy New Year all and good luck with your walking goals.
« Last Edit: 11:49:19, 01/01/17 by Sarah Pitht »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:51:27, 01/01/17 »
Wow what a wide variety of different walks people are doing. Look forward to hearing about them all during the year 😀

dinger

« Reply #34 on: 14:26:37, 01/01/17 »
Booked my silver award navigation in Buckden for mid february.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:06:00, 01/01/17 »
Nothing set in stone for me this year. I feel planning anything will just jinx my health. :-\

Loose plans would be;

April Lakes meet

Welsh hostel meet

Looking to camp and bag 30+ Wainwright's

A trip to Scotland

And really just see what comes up in between, possibly the WHW if I stay well  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:53:11, 02/01/17 »
Another plan for this year is to actually upload some TRs, now that I've worked out how to do it!

Deolman

« Reply #37 on: 12:33:43, 02/01/17 »
Trying as much as possible to get out each weekend probably looking at more routes in the Peak District and East Lancs.  Planning to walk the West Highland Way late June which at 96 miles should be a bit easier than the C2C which I completed last year.

NorthernTom

« Reply #38 on: 17:01:10, 02/01/17 »
As others have said the main aim is to get out as much as possible, with an aim of at least once a week.

Other 'bigger' plans so far are:
-Complete Heart of England Way (Cannock Chase to Lichfield completed already)
-Wolds Way in spring/summer with my Dad
-Minimum two Lake District Camping Trips (including the new Ullswater Way and a few Wainwrights)
-North Worcestershire Path & Worcestershire Way
-Headland Way from Bridlington to Filey
-Yorkshire 3 Peaks
-Help my Grandpa get up Blencathra one last time!  

It would also be great to meet some new people along the way, so if anyone has any recommendations for local group walks/walking groups, please feel free to share!  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:03:18, 02/01/17 »
It is an axiom of military doctrine that no plan survives first contact with the enemy so I don't intend to make any.

Actually that is untrue as Mrs Ninthace has pointed out - whenever I plan to do anything I always have a plan A with plans B,C & D just in case and usually I replan as the situation develops.  The final fall back plan for any endeavor in our household is referred to as the "Church Hall if wet" plan
Solvitur Ambulando

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 22:34:30, 02/01/17 »
Sarah ..... don't know the route in Mallerstang in your new book, but it is certainly a worthwhile walk, at its longest a marathon length effort.  The stone statues are unique. Used to be a café at the halfway road crossing.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:14:29, 13/11/17 »
So then, we're nearly at the end of the year....

... How many of you who posted in here, accomplished what you hoped to do?

(I managed to bag one whole new County in the space of 11 months  :D   ;D  )

John Walker

« Reply #42 on: 19:52:43, 13/11/17 »
I just knew it would be a mistake to admit to a plan.  I said
I am planning to finish off the Pembrokeshire Coast Path and the North Downs Way (both half done!) I'm hoping to have enough holiday left to spend a week in the Dark Peak, having had a really great time there during 2016.  And if I manage all that I should be able to complete the Viewranger 250 mile challenge in 2017, having failed this year.   

Well I failed on several counts. We did finish the NDW but not the PCP (although we had a great few days walking from Fishguard to St. Dogmaels and another great week in the Peak District).  But, just like last year, I haven't even completed the ViewRanger 400km challenge yet.  Still a few weeks to go so I might just manage this paltry achievement  :(

My New Year Resolution is to admit to no more plans....

JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

SafetyThird

« Reply #43 on: 20:15:19, 13/11/17 »
I haven't been walking or backpacking for quite some years so next year I plan to get back to doing both. I live in Devon now so time to start exploring. Did an 8 mile walk on Dartmoor with one of the dogs last week which was a great way to start back.

Currently sorting through my backpacking gear and changing things out from when I walked as a couple to now walking solo. My much loved Terra Nova Ultra Quasar is now 20 years old and too heavy for one so a Tarptent Scarp 1 is on order.

After first reading about the early TGO Challenges as a teenager and thinking 'that looks like fun' I'm now tentatively considering trying to enter for 2019. I have a bit of training to do ahead of me next year then.

Also, I joined this and couple of other online forum/resources to find likeminded folk, pick brains and perhaps even find a few folks to meet occasionally for some company while walking.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 22:58:22, 13/11/17 »
So then, we're nearly at the end of the year....

... How many of you who posted in here, accomplished what you hoped to do?

(I managed to bag one whole new County in the space of 11 months  :D   ;D  )

Me  O0  I went up to Devil's Kitchen and across Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach with my eldest son in August and the boys and I completed the Brecon Beacons National Park 2000 footers last weekend.

I'm not sure I want to carry on hill-bagging particularly, I thought it would be a good way of trying out different walks and it is, but it also adds a bit of pressure to something that's meant to be relaxing. I'd like to do some more scrambling with my eldest before he gets fed up with how slow I am. It would be good to visit some of the other mountain ranges in Wales - so far apart from the four in the Brecon Beacons National Park I've walked/scrambled in the Hebog mountains, the Glyderau and on Snowdon - but I do not want to get drawn into trying to visit every last peak however dull. Maybe I could venture into some non-Welsh mountains, would be good to return to the Lake District (boys were too young for much walking last time we were there) and at some point I want to tackle Ben Nevis, by the CMD arete if I can try out something easier like Striding Edge first. Also following the success of our Barmouth-Fairbourne Walk, I'd like to try out some more non-mountain walking, instead of feeling like I should head to a summit every time. Lots of options, let's see what 2018 brings.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy