Author Topic: How to deal with horses?  (Read 4880 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: How to deal with horses?
« Reply #30 on: 20:24:24, 06/10/17 »
Some years ago my wife and myself upon entering a field with a drainage ditch alongside the path, almost got pushed into it by three horses that came charging down. They were pushing us with their noses and wouldn't stop. We eventually managed to move swiftly away. I'm ok with other animals, cows, bulls etc but have been wary of horses ever since, although not had any similar experience.

eddycreative

« Reply #31 on: 12:22:09, 11/10/17 »
Some years ago my wife and myself upon entering a field with a drainage ditch alongside the path, almost got pushed into it by three horses that came charging down. They were pushing us with their noses and wouldn't stop. We eventually managed to move swiftly away. I'm ok with other animals, cows, bulls etc but have been wary of horses ever since, although not had any similar experience.

Omg lol

thomasdevon

« Reply #32 on: 11:08:37, 13/10/17 »
I meet Dartmoor ponies almost every time I'm up there. Sometimes cattle too. As with all animals, avoid getting between parents and young, skirt round the herd if possible, make a noise on approach so you don't startle them. Dartmoor ponies are not tame so offering titbits would be unwise.

Doddy

« Reply #33 on: 14:53:30, 19/10/17 »
Horses have a good sense of smell and like to sniff you. On the TV once I noticed the Queen put her fisted hand, fingers down, towards the horse; better than an open palm when it can still get at your fingers. I reckon that is how the Royals are taught-I have done so ever since..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy