Author Topic: Noise!  (Read 1495 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Noise!
« on: 13:53:38, 08/10/17 »
Noise en route can also be positive or it can negative. I was camping on the edge of Derwentwater recently and whilst in my tent in the middle of the night I could hear a roaring noise from the end of the lake, as the wind rose and came towards me it was, for a while, very intimidating! After a lonely full day of walking alone, to not see at first, but to then hear the sound of cars, children laughing and playing, etc, can at times be 'music' to ones ears.

Last year on the GR64 I camped and in the early hours a massive thunder, lightening and rainstorm crashed and blasted me for about an hour. It sounded as if it was all taking place directly above me, I felt so totally helpless and insignificant and boy was I scared! What about those rustles in the bushes at night, or as I experienced once, the terrified neighs of horses who were being harressed by wild boar 'out there' in the total darkness, that certainly woke me up! I hadn't got a clue as to what I was hearing and why and was given an explanation the next morning from the owner of a small cafe a couple of miles away. I let it make sense but it could have been other animals?

Of course the next day, especially on a sunny morning I can reflect back and say to myself "well, that was exciting"!

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Noise!
« Reply #1 on: 14:34:29, 08/10/17 »
Following a multiple-day walk in Snowdonia just 3 weeks ago, I was the only person on a small Shropshire camp site when I was woken in the middle of the night by my guy lines twanging and a lot of grunting and snuffling from what could only have been a badger. Clapping my hands and shouting was sufficient to scare it off, but the fright must have loosened the animal's bowels for I had to be careful where I stepped in  the morning (I was able to contain mine!).

dinger

« Reply #2 on: 15:01:10, 08/10/17 »

Same here I camped solo near Blea tarn and  where I parked up very near the tarn last light, a car pulled up the otherside of me has I was about to get out.
Anyway I thought I would wait until they went whatever they were doing. the car had polish number plates, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing one guy had a four pack of beer and the other tried to disguise a rifle under his coat.
This made me feel very uneasy all night I actually climbed over a wall very near the tarn just to be out of sight, wasn't the view I wanted but seeing these two just kept me more alert whole night and you hear things which are probally nothing but that sixth sense kicks in.

eddycreative

« Reply #3 on: 16:41:30, 08/10/17 »
Hmm yeah i have experienced this before

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:32:21, 08/10/17 »
Tricky one! You could've phoned the old bill and given them the car reg, except that (a) the Polskis would realise it was you that had called them, and (b) your car was parked there.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:53:01, 08/10/17 »

...and the other tried to disguise a rifle under his coat.

I assume you reported it to the police?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:52:37, 08/10/17 »
Hmm yeah i have experienced this before

Aye.  I'm having a touch of de ja vu too ...

rambling oldie

« Reply #7 on: 07:32:48, 09/10/17 »
A pleasant afternoon ramble over some open heathland near Liphook seemed safe, but I passed an open bit of the track and a scruffy van was parked there.  As I stopped to check the map and the next section of footpath, I was aware that three individuals in the van were watching me carefully.  I feigned nonchalance and a greater interest in my compass, then moved on.  They didn't seem to get out so on I went.  A couple of hours later passing the other side of the heath on my return I saw them in the open.  I was in cover so I looked at them through my bins, sure enough they seemed to be up to illegal coursing.  Just as well I didn't stare at them earlier, they were clearly waiting for the coast to be clear but could have got nasty.

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 23:11:49, 18/11/17 »
I once got woke up by a flock of sheep, what was even odder is the one that was in the enterance to my tent.... funny [censored] they are tbf.

Many years ago my cousion got shot with an air rifle in the arm while camping so im always weary if i see dodgy looking people

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy