Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 1894 times)

Swift and bold

Seeking advice
« on: 17:00:43, 31/10/17 »
Hi Everyone
Seeking advice about walking around Dartmoor in December........erm yes besides wet and windy, I plan to walk from Okehampton YHA and in a big "sort of loop" take in oke,steeperton tors then on to cranmere pool then fenworthy forest, across to bleak house, Green tor, widgery cross, on to thse site of the crashed WW2 bomber near Corn ridge,High willhays,Yes tor then back to the Okehampton YHA.
I have two or three days to complete this journey , is this enough time ? I can guess the rivers will be swollen are there dry crossing places or is it a case of rock hopping? and any advice will be welcomed
Regards to everyone
David

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: 17:16:52, 01/11/17 »
I'm not sure about two days but I would think this could be done in three, depending of course on your ability.  Personally I think I would omit the leg to Fernworthy Forest.  Admittedly it provides a sheltered camping spot, but you will be doubling back on yourself if you go from Cranmere Pool to Fernworthy and then to Bleak House.  As far as the swollen rivers are concerned it really depends on the conditions at the time.  It's not always wet and windy on Dartmoor and you can sometimes have reasonable weather in December.  Unless conditions are really atrocious you can usually find somewhere to cross the rivers.  Be aware that the area around Cranmere Pool can be very wet and you will probably have to do a bit of bog hopping.
Most importantly, don't forget to check the Firing Notice, as live firing takes place in the area you are proposing to walk and it is closed to walkers at these times.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/656196/20171031_Dartmoor_Six_Week_Firing_Notice_31.10.17_-_CANX_UPDATE.csv/preview

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:46:55, 01/11/17 »
Your plan seems pretty sound to me.  Up from the station/YHA is a steady slog on to the moor.  I have led a few walks from there.  There's a nice route up over East hill.   I would be tempted to do Highwill hays as the high point on your final day and head over to Belston Tor and follow the ridge down once you are over the ford you can shoot up steeperton, Then head south again to Hangingstone Hill. There's a decent trail in to Cranmere Pool from there.  Like Dave said you need to more or less double back keeping North of East Dart head or it's very heavy going indeed. One your back to White horse Hill there is and easy track down to Sitaford. It's easy enough down to Fernworthy from there.  I'll have a think on the rest of your route tomorrow.  You are missing Cut Hill and Fur Tor need to include those if you can.  That way you will have done all the 600m tops. Never know it could be frozen solid.  Which makes for much easier going on Dartmoor. 

Swift and bold

« Reply #3 on: 17:44:23, 04/11/17 »

Hello DevonDave and BuzyG,
Thank you very much for the advice. Its been a very long time since I was on Dartmoor, I was 17 and in the Army, Laying in a trench for 72 very long hours up to my armpits in water now I am in my 60's its time to re visit  Dartmoor.
My only reason for the Fernworthy forest leg is to visit the memorial stone of WO2 Perry RM, (SX 64178 84666) an ex marine remembers him and wants me to leave a Poppy cross there. I have no real plans to go further south then that.
My planned route is not fixed, and can be changed depending on the weather and Live firing dates.
Am I right in thinking that IF there are is NO red flags and or red lights I can across the range even if I see the army on exercise?
Lastly, camping locations, I understand there is an area where camping is forbidden, would you please confirm the area please.
Once again, Thank you for taking the time to answering my questions.
« Last Edit: 17:47:53, 04/11/17 by Swift and bold »

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:23:44, 04/11/17 »
Yes, if there are no red flags or lights you are permitted to enter the area, even if the army are using it for non-firing exercises.
Regarding camping locations, see the map here (double click on the map to enlarge the scale): http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/new-camping-map

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:02:39, 04/11/17 »
Good Map Dave Didn't. I know there were such restrictions up on the open moor.  Not that I wild camp up there anyway.  Have to say I have seen plenty of folk peacefully camped in areas not shaded purple.  I guess it's up to the land authority, if they take action.  Plenty of forestry & reservoirs within the National park area where I would expect some restrictions.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:36:01, 10/11/17 »
I dare to assume, if you are leaving a poppy, that you plan to visit this weekend.  I walked up to Sittaford Tor last Sunday, from the East Dart waterfall SX627811.  Alas there was not enough day light left to seek out the memorial,  I will pay my respects there at some point.  There is a lot of rain due tonight, so crossing the Dart or Amicombe brook near Fur Tor will require wet feet.  Just thought I would mention it in case you do decide to head that way.   Have a good safe trip and be sure to give us a little write up when you get an opportunity. O0

Swift and bold

« Reply #7 on: 11:46:20, 11/11/17 »
Hi BuzyG
No unfortunately I have other plans for this weekend. I shall be visiting Dartmoor 2nd/3rd week in December. I intend on my first day is to push on towards fernworthy forest, see how far I get and then assess  the situation, I hope to stay two nights 3 days on Dartmoor. Thanks for the help and of course I will do  a write up of my journey.
Regards DK

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy