Author Topic: How do you do beat 'hiking depression?'  (Read 4346 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you do beat 'hiking depression?'
« Reply #15 on: 22:30:19, 13/11/17 »
Mini goals are good. Eat well, sleep well and you will walk well. Don't listen to your inner chimp....

Have you read Prof. Steve Peter's book, Mind Management, by any chance?
I have a copy but haven't started it yet.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:31:03, 13/11/17 »
Not sure you do beat it. Just recognise the beast for what it is and have a coping strategy like some on here have already said.  I get the walking "blues" from time to time. Did two walks this year. The SWCP from Plymouth to Poole was sunny all the way and I was constantly passing people. Got [censored]**d off from time to time but a positive disposition all the way. The Pennine Way (north to south in August and also solo) was different. The weather was bad, the track was boggy and I met virtually no-one on trail. Having done it before; I knew the route so on a couple of stages boredom set in (no stunning scenery or stiff climbs etc). Started feeling a bit sorry for myself. I think there is a sort of threshold beyond which you begin to feel a victim of events. Drop below the threshold (the sun comes out or the view takes your mind off things) and you feel in control again - or at least I do. Whilst in "victim" mode I seem to recall trying to sing all the songs from After the Goldrush seemed to help.. O0

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:16:38, 14/11/17 »
 This is a good one to walk to.Just ask a friendly farmer if you can borrow his shotgun. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Rather be walking

« Reply #18 on: 12:32:55, 14/11/17 »
Some people may never have experienced this 'feeling' but I have, I've called it hiking depression, not a good description I'm sure but I can't think of a better one at the moment.

We called it the '3rd day Blues', with me it sometimes happens on the 4th or 5th day out.
I've heard it a form of home sickness.

I just bully through it.  O0 :)

Jon.

« Last Edit: 12:36:11, 14/11/17 by Rather be walking »
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Doddy

« Reply #19 on: 14:31:16, 14/11/17 »
No I haven't read the book mentioned. I will take a look at it.

Woodsman

« Reply #20 on: 17:07:06, 14/11/17 »
Hi with me sometimes its lack of motivation but once I'm out I am fine and I find one of my regular walks I will walk the opposite direction just to stop becoming disheartened or bored. O0
Cheers
          Kevin

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:18:28, 14/11/17 »
I remember a few years back on the West Highland way. At the end of day two from Balmaha to Inverarnan. The route is already difficult between Inversnaid and Inverarnan but the weather had been really wet. The route was littered with wet slippy tree roots, deep mud and paths running with water. I was tired wet and I def felt hiking depression.

I remember leaving you Reg to camp at The farm campsite while we made our way to accommodation at Tyndrum. At Tyndrum we saw a bus that said "Glasgow via Glasgow Airport". I genuinely felt that low I wanted to get on that bus to the airport and fly away to the sun.

:)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:39:27, 14/11/17 »
I suffer depression. At times it is 'severe'. This is code for 'suicidal thoughts'.
Surviving this usually involves coping strategies.
'Depression' on a crap day in crap weather is low mood. It would be perfectly normal and logical. They are different beasts.
Walking is partly a coping strategy, in so far as it is pretty hard to think about anything much when you are heaving your body up a steep slope.
Dragging yourself home after a knackering day on the hills is actually a good feeling :)

In GWs case, you are someone who enjoys company and discourse. I would imagine a day spent without meeting many, or particularly if anyone you did meet didn't want more than 'hello'.. you would struggle.
Personally I'm a listener, I'm happy not talking. Being alone is no big deal for me. Though I also welcome company. The dog isn't much for conversation either.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:16:39, 14/11/17 »
;D Pleb are you feeling alright? Is this what you listen to cheer yourself up?  :o

Only when he's having a Bad Hair day.  ::)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:31:33, 14/11/17 »
Only when he's having a Bad Hair day.  ::)

Has he been to Toni & Guy again?  :)
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:00:09, 14/11/17 »
Has he been to Toni & Guy again?  :)

No. He goes to Pleb's Kut Price Krew Kuts   :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:57:38, 14/11/17 »
He goes to Pleb's Kut Price Krew Kuts   :)

Ah, yes of course, they run the hairdressers in Karls Kut Price Tours accommodation don't they?  :D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:45:16, 15/11/17 »
Shurrup. Just jealous  :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy