Author Topic: Yorkshire Where to go for a half day?  (Read 1093 times)

Pura Vida

Yorkshire Where to go for a half day?
« on: 07:33:47, 15/11/17 »
Hi those of great knowledge,

I'm travelling from Telford, Midlands to Whitby on Friday 17th.

Please can you offer me some ideas for a half day walk. Been to Whitby area before.

I'm guiding walks on the coast over the weekend and I've been to Goatland. No trains are runnining on NYM railway.

I'll be approaching from the south, (up the M1 etc)

Where would the locals go for a great Afternoon walk?

Many thanks

Robin
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire Where to go for a half day?
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:54, 15/11/17 »
Roseberry Topping?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:47:26, 15/11/17 »
Hole of Horcum perhaps? :-\
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:48:10, 15/11/17 »
If you’re taking the A169 across the NYMoors then there’s the Bridestones walk (a good one if the weather’s claggy).  Sandstone rocky outcrops, not dissimilar to the gritstone rock formations in the Peak District.  It’s a reasonable 6 mile walk from Lockton (just off the A169) – free parking.

Alternatively, a bit further up the A169 is Hole of Horcum (best done in decent weather/visibility to get the scale of the hole).  I seem to remember doing a 6 or 7 mile walk round there with Andy Broadley of this forum a good few years ago now.  There’s parking at Saltersgate but I believe there’s a charge.  Alternatively, you could start the walk from Lockton.

Enjoy driving up Saltersgate Bank - hope your clutch isn’t slipping!

As pleb said, Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook’s Monument.  Not sure of the mileage but (knowing me) it will be about 6 or 7 miles.  Free parking (and fab cafes/pubs) in Great Ayton.  It is further inland and up country than Whitby though and probably easiest reached off the A171.

If you’re heading on the northern York circular road and travelling along the A170 then you could head up to Sutton Bank (another nice, steep drive!) and do the Kilburn White Horse walk or Gormire Lake from the visitors centre there (rip off parking charges though).  Walks can vary between 3 and 9 miles.  Loads of options to choose from really.

Alternatively, a bit further along the A170 (and up a bit) is Farndale and Rudland Rigg though this might be a bit bland at this time of year (best for heather and daffodils seasons).  It’s about 6 miles.  Honesty box parking at the village hall in Low Mill.

I seem to recall having a route for a walk between Pickering and Thornton-le-Dale (off the A170) via Howl Dale and Kirkdale Slack which would be a semi-urban (in a cute market town and village sort of way) walk if you like to look at forests and thatched cottages and quirky tea rooms. It would probably be about a 5 mile walk.

Right.  I think I’ll shut up now!

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:19:46, 15/11/17 »
I clocked Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook's Monument at 6.6 miles as measured on my mapping software. The route with photos is described here. http://www.happyhiker.co.uk/MyWalks/NorthYorksMoors/RoseberryToppingandCaptainCooksMonument/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Roseberry%20Topping%20and%20Captain%20Cook's%20Monument.htm

It is a nice walk with good views.

Pura Vida

« Reply #5 on: 07:36:18, 16/11/17 »
Thanks for these suggestions. Will getthe map out and create a plan tonight. Early start ahead. :-)

Robin
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Liz S

« Reply #6 on: 22:28:10, 16/11/17 »
Goatland  ;D  Its Goathland.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy