Author Topic: Crib Goch and snowdon Horse Shoe, Dec2nd  (Read 3450 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Crib Goch and snowdon Horse Shoe, Dec2nd
« on: 19:32:07, 23/11/17 »
Well I have the fine company of my son for a weekend.  Not something that happens often since he left home. We have the Hostel Booked at Pen Y Pass and baring dangerous weather, will be heading up Snowdon for the fist time 2nd / 3rd of Dec.  We both have a reasonable degree of Scrambling skills and hill walking.

The important question now is the best route.

I would love to walk the Horseshoe route, but looking at Crib Goch, on Google Earth, it does not look like a pick nick.

Does any one know if there is any snow up there yet?  I have micro spikes for my boots, but as I spend my usual weekends walking the SW moors and Tors, I have very little experience using them. 

Open to advise and route suggestions.

« Last Edit: 19:44:49, 23/11/17 by BuzyG »

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Crib Goch and snowdon Horse Dhoe, Dec2nd
« Reply #1 on: 20:17:32, 23/11/17 »
Whether or not there's snow up high now means nothing as to whether or not it will be there next weekend. At the moment it looks like heavy rain and floods but if it turns dry and cold for the next week the floods should hopefully have gone. Crib Goch ridge in winter conditions is really getting into climbing territory, I think it's generally considered a grade II winter climb. I've done the ridge in such conditions a few time and really I'd say ice axe and crampons would definitely be needed and ropes and harnesses could quite likely be useful as well.

On the other hand when you get there it may very likely be dry and clear of ice and snow, in which case go for it. The ridge itself is more intimidating than difficult, concentrate on where you're putting your feet and it's a walk in the park. When you get to the pinnacles there are lots of ways up, if you feel like you're getting stuck try another way. The other place to be careful is descending from the summit of Snowdon down to the top of the Watkins Path. It's just a steep scree slope, other people above you are the main concern. 

If it is out of condition then you could walk up either the miners or pyg tracks to the top of Snowdon, or climb Lliwedd the last nail in the houseshoe. Going the other way out behind the hostel there's a good path up to the Glyders.     

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Crib Goch and snowdon Horse Shoe, Dec2nd
« Reply #2 on: 11:15:33, 24/11/17 »
I bet half the mountain has disappeared, or at least some of it, after Wednesday's incredibly heavy rain.
I was watching the Welsh news last night, Nant Peris has received some of the worst flooding seen in living memory.

The entire main street was one huge lake of flowing water.
I was on the phone to a friend in Deiniolen last night, and he cannot remember seeing such intense continuous rainfall, and he has lived there for nearly 26yrs.

Capel Curig got ever so close to the 5inch of rain in 24hrs mark, with 4.7in of rainfall recorded.

To put that into perspective, Cockermouth received 5.1in of rain to cause their flooding some years ago, so 4.7in is rainfall of incredible intensity.

Its got a bit cooler now, but Snow, no chance.
« Last Edit: 11:19:15, 24/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:38:11, 24/11/17 »
It' always worth checking the Web cams as they show real time also the snowdon summit weather. Lots of snow and temperature as low as minus 12 forecast for the next few days. A quick google will find them. Don' forget the short daylight hours so head torch will be needed.  It' a great route in dry clear windless weather but a bit of a pig if not. Enjoy if you can  O0
« Last Edit: 12:43:03, 24/11/17 by redeye »

dank86

« Reply #4 on: 23:06:32, 24/11/17 »
If it's a first trip up and you want a bit of a ridge you could look at ryhd ddu up and rangers down, pictures I've seen recently have showed some snow but that's probably gone with the crazy rain we've had, though now it below freezing.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 01:06:03, 25/11/17 »
Looking at the forcast for this week there will be snow on top buy next weekend.  :)   Been looking at alt routes tonight.  May head around the far side and walk a loop up from the rangers car park.   
« Last Edit: 01:09:07, 25/11/17 by BuzyG »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:28:08, 25/11/17 »
The south ridge is a great way up Snowdon and you'll probably have it to yourself. There was a forum meet a few years back to help raise some money for mountain rescue. There is a TR but all photo's have disappeared due to photobucket being arsey. We had great weather going up and shows how different the valley are to the summit at this time of year. Enjoy your day
Here's my blog post of the day https://aredeyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/snowdon-23-11-2013.html#comment-form
« Last Edit: 13:28:41, 25/11/17 by redeye »

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 13:15:46, 25/11/17 »
Red-eye the photos are showing on the page you linked to for me

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:30:30, 25/11/17 »
Red-eye the photos are showing on the page you linked to for me
Should of said that' my blog post, now amended. The TR on the forum doesn't show any photos   O0

dank86

« Reply #9 on: 13:49:06, 25/11/17 »
Ahh got you, looked like a good trip. I'll be doing the same in April with a group of friends

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:37:23, 25/11/17 »
The south ridge is a great way up Snowdon and you'll probably have it to yourself. There was a forum meet a few years back to help raise some money for mountain rescue. There is a TR but all photo's have disappeared due to photobucket being arsey. We had great weather going up and shows how different the valley are to the summit at this time of year. Enjoy your day
Here's my blog post of the day https://aredeyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/snowdon-23-11-2013.html#comment-form

Great Blog redeye.  O0 .  Definitely thinking we will be heading up from that side, if the weather is as currently forecast. How boggy is boggy on that last stretch.  It could well be dark by the time we are crossing those fields, if we park there. as opposed to the Ranger Station Car Park.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:51:06, 26/11/17 »

Great Blog redeye.  O0 .  Definitely thinking we will be heading up from that side, if the weather is as currently forecast. How boggy is boggy on that last stretch.  It could well be dark by the time we are crossing those fields, if we park there. as opposed to the Ranger Station Car Park.
Thanks  O0
I don't recall getting trapped by the bog monster, more wet and soggy than anything as there is a few streams running down. I suppose it's all down to how much of the wet stuff comes out of the sky 😉 I'd recommend gaiters though if you have them

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:15:11, 26/11/17 »
With the amount of rain, that fell last Wednesday, waders would be more suitable.
There are two small rivers, that flow from the upper reaches of the southern Rhinogs, and yesterday, one of them had broken its banks, due to the deluge last week.

The source of the river nearest to Cors Y Gedol hall, has been professionally remodelled and reengineered by the water board last year, to accept freak rainfall situations, but the river is so swollen with rain, that its broken its banks in two places.

The ground above Rhydd Ddu is always soggy, so go prepared for some really boggy conditions, as the mountains have not fully recovered from the rain, and there is now possibly snow cover as well to add to the conditions under foot.
« Last Edit: 14:21:18, 26/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:48:18, 26/11/17 »
The source of the river nearest to Cors Y Gedol hall, has been professionally remodelled and reengineered by the water board last year, to accept freak rainfall situations, but the river is so swollen with rain, that its broken its banks in two places

The Ysgethin would probably have coped with the rainfall had they left well alone.  ;) I've not known it to break it's banks before. I was out in the rain last wednesday driving back from Wrecsam and whilst it was a good deluge it had no comparison with two years ago when I struggled to make it home from Shrewsbury through flooding all along the A458

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:56:03, 26/11/17 »
The river source, just next to the ruined burial chamber, was almost over the edge of its banks, but because the land there is significantly taller, the river has not burst or overflowed, but its close to the further most edge of its extremity.
Much further up the mountain, over the second drystone wall, its a different matter, its here that the river has overpowered the embankment, washing a lot of the protective mud and silt away.
Thankfully the ground is one huge sponge, able to soak up the water, so there is no chance of flooding.
The torrent of water along the entire river, is most impressive, with the drain opposite the burial chamber barely able to cope.

Its been quite a few years since ive seen the river this swollen.
« Last Edit: 14:59:16, 26/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy