Author Topic: Boggy soggy ground - what to do?  (Read 7747 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Boggy soggy ground - what to do?
« Reply #15 on: 12:53:00, 05/12/17 »
There are instances, especially after some very heavy persistent rain, that its impossible to escape saturated ground.
My walk to the summit of Yr llethr was wet to say the least, as the lie of the land, mostly uphill all the way, following the famous wall, meant it was inevitable your feet were going to get wet.
The ground looked fine, but every footstep was like walking through a shallow bog, and the mud, that was something else.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:05:58, 05/12/17 »
... meant it was inevitable your feet were going to get wet.

Decent waterproof boots keep your feet dry, nothing inevitable about your feet getting wet  :)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:13:02, 05/12/17 »
What boots do you wear ?  Waders.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:26:11, 05/12/17 »
My boots and gaiter exteriors often get covered in glar but since I test obviously  boggy ground with my stick I don't get wet feet. Nothing inevitable about it at all. On a very few occasions I have had wet feet when I forded streams and slipped or was just plain careless or distracted, I. E. My own stupidity rather than inevitability.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:02:54, 05/12/17 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:17:24, 05/12/17 »

From time to time, though, I've had situations in not particularly boggy ground where, as I'm walking, my foot has unexpectedly shot into a wet and muddy hole up to knee depth, and this has always brought me crashing down. Imagine it if you haven't experienced it: you find yourself laying full length on soggy ground, shocked and partially winded, your heavy pack is making it difficult for you to get into the right position to ease yourself up, and when you get your leg out it is covered with brown mire and your boot is full of water.

I thought that only happened to me.   ;D ;D

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:42:45, 05/12/17 »
There’s boggy ground everywhere, Wales is made of it and I’m in it every weekend, been through shallow rivers too, nothing special just gaiters and Altberg boots, yet to get wet feet  ;)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:17:02, 05/12/17 »

Decent waterproof boots keep your feet dry, nothing inevitable about your feet getting wet  :)
Do you want to review that after seeing The Spine race last year?!! :D

Looking forward to following it again from my armchair in January.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:53:56, 05/12/17 »
Me too ... the Spine race is something different altogether  ;D
Where there's a will ...

tenmilesplus

« Reply #24 on: 20:21:42, 05/12/17 »
No one has mentioned using walking poles to test the ground before you step on it ? This method will not stop you getting wet feet but it might stop you sinking up to your middle like Dr Foster going to Gloucester..

8)
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:35:16, 05/12/17 »

No one has mentioned using walking poles to test the ground before you step on it ?
Oh yes they have!
Sorry, I'm in full on pantomime mode
Poles are invaluable not only for added balance but also for testing the ground. As has been said, standing water on the path often indicates a firm base, poles can check this out too dry feet.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:55:24, 06/12/17 »
I'd challenge any one to come on some of our routes on Dartmoor this time of year and leave with dry feet.  Short of fishing waders, the moor will find a way in, after several hours out there. The group had to spllt a few weeks back, after one senior lady member sank thigh deep in a peat bog and sensibly choose not to continue the walk that day.   

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 07:29:48, 13/12/17 »
Yeah boots are not enough on bits of Dartmoor. I've spent ages walking around the deeper parts and picking my way through bogs. Some of them are well over boot height

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:47:22, 13/12/17 »
I agree that when you're in bogs/water that deep you'll get wet feet, but Dartmoor bogs aren't the norm or we'd all need webbed feet  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #29 on: 08:53:18, 13/12/17 »
All 0f the above but once your committed dont stop or dilly dally about, make your decision and crack on, less time your feet are in water the less chance of getting wet!

"if in doubt, flat out"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy