Author Topic: I'm Scared... Taking the leap of hiking on my own.  (Read 5155 times)

Deolman

Re: I'm Scared... Taking the leap of hiking on my own.
« Reply #15 on: 22:03:49, 08/12/17 »
You don't have to be old and doddery before deciding you need a personal locater.. I was just turned 50 when I had my first heart attack and the consultants could find no reason why it happened. Since then I have had annual  check-ups with no concerns yet in 2015 I had my second heart attack due to blocked arteries.  In addition accidents can happen at any time even on low level walking. Having one also meant my daughter was far less worried when I walked the C2C last year.  

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:57:42, 08/12/17 »
Thanks, you are cheering me up no end!
Following my first visit to the medical centre for years (hip and leg pain, could be arthritis they said, but it's gone now) I had a letter from them this very morning telling me my cholesterol level is 6.6 and the doctors would prefer it to be less than 5.
My weight is within my BMI, my ale consumption is equal to the guidline 14 units per week (2 units per pint, thank you), I haven't smoked for 35 years, and I thought I had taken all the steps to improve my diet etc in October 2012 when they told me I have narrowed arteries.
Yet I continue to haul myself plus a heavy backpack up and down Welsh mountains a couple of times a year without a hint of anything not feeling right, as well as all the  daywalks I do in the Chiltern Hills.
Perhaps I'll ask for a personal locator for Chistmas 2018. If I'm still here :(

Deolman

« Reply #17 on: 23:05:42, 08/12/17 »
While we may think we are fit and well maybe we are getting old and doddery without realising it! Like you I intend to keep going while I am able though at present I have been 'grounded' by my GP and consultant following another incident at the beginning of October. Now waiting for an MRI stress test and hoping for a positive result so I can get back out again.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:13:33, 08/12/17 »
Following my first visit to the medical centre for years (hip and leg pain, could be arthritis they said, but it's gone now) I had a letter from them this very morning telling me my cholesterol level is 6.6 and the doctors would prefer it to be less than 5.
My Dad had a health check and the nurse really got him worried about his cholesterol. He then saw the Doc who said 'well yes it is raised but a man of your age you'd be bloody lucky if it wasn't raised'

Deolman

« Reply #19 on: 23:17:54, 08/12/17 »
My cholesterol has never been high which is why I was so surprised  to find I had three blocked arteries in 2015.

FOX160

« Reply #20 on: 21:29:25, 09/12/17 »
My advice to you is to buy an OS map of an area you know. iE where you live to together with a compass and learn how to use them together and then go from there.
Also look on meet ups and go with others to gain experience and confidence
Then make your own trails.
« Last Edit: 21:34:22, 09/12/17 by FOX160 »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:09:22, 10/12/17 »
In benign weather conditions, properly equipped and on non-extreme terrain, there isn't much to worry about. You're just going for an extended walk. It's not like you're climbing K2 or trekking through the Amazon rainforest, hiding from bandits. Even trying hard, it's not easy to find places in the UK where you won't bump into people, especially in England and Wales - believe me, I've tried.  

Obviously it's a different matter it you try Ben Nevis wearing jeans and trainers in the midst of a snowstorm.

Just get on and do it. Pick a location you can get to, get a map/GPS and plan a circular walk and do it. I quite often only have a rough plan and wing it as I walk depending on what I see in front of me. I personally don't fear it at all so maybe not the right person to give advice on that but really, the chances of anything bad happening are pretty small and you can just as easily meet a sticky end in urban areas. To be honest, if I died on a hill I'd count that as a pretty decent end compared to what I hear most people going through in the "safety" of hospital beds.

Start off with a day walk and when you're hiking, look around for spots that you could camp. You'll see scores of them and you'll soon realise there is nothing to it.

It really is not a big deal.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:27:05, 10/12/17 »
I think you should read Ridge's post on the previous post before considering giving an opinion to the
original poster. One post only............

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:05:44, 11/12/17 »

Sure, another 1 post wonder, but it is a topic that seems to have generated quite a bit of interest, and one or two useful comments.
I do a fair bit of walking solo, and have been surprised how often I've been asked if I'm not nervous, so perhaps it has provided some help and reassurance to other people going down that route.
And it didn't look as if they were trying to sell us anything.

RogerA

« Reply #24 on: 11:30:34, 14/12/17 »
I'm also new to walking but almost always go solo, mostly because I'm very comfortable in & enjoy my own company - its absolutely not because I dont have any friends - honest  :) .

I'm in the midlands and have found the nearby national forest walks which are well marked, have good step by step guides on their website, circular and mostly not too crowded are nice for the casual weekend day walk. I think the key to this for me is they're local.

I dont know where you are but there must be similar routes local to you (maybe I'm seeing the green grass on the other side of the fence but imo the midlands is about the most devoid area of the country for good hiking routes and there are some) - that might be a good place to start.

Roger

tbown1

« Reply #25 on: 14:13:03, 02/01/18 »
Thanks so much for replying, sorry its taken me nearly a month to get back to all you lovely people. I've had the most busy month and couldn't get back to you guys until now.

I live in Cardiff so im not too far away from some great areas to hike. I'm planning to go out up to Brecon for the day to start off my solo experience. With all your tips you've all made me a lot more comfortable with solo hiking so now I feel ready to go do it! thank you all you've made me feel very welcome and helped me so much!

tbown1

« Reply #26 on: 14:27:35, 02/01/18 »
Interesting first post tbown1. Good advice from Slogger, take it slowly not pushing your comfort zone too far and your confidence will grow.

Where in the world are you? How old? and, while it makes no difference to you ability it may colour you anxieties, what sex?

Hey, I've been following the post offline for the last month, I kept forgetting to log in :)

As per my previous reply I've been very busy recently so haven't been able to keep up with the forum. I'm from Wales so lots of great areas to walk and im 21 and male. I took a keen interest in hiking in general from one of my Uni projects (I'm a product design student) and found out more from my course mates about solo hiking hence this post.

I've been thinking about my first solo hike and ill have some time this month to go do it and with lots of help from this post! Any types of areas i should look into around South Wales?

Deolman

« Reply #27 on: 15:00:38, 02/01/18 »

Quote from: NeilC  [/size
In benign weather conditions, properly equipped and on non-extreme terrain, there isn't much to worry about. You're just going for an extended walk. It's not like you're climbing K2 or trekking through the Amazon rainforest, hiding from bandits. Even trying hard, it's not easy to find places in the UK where you won't bump into people, especially in England and Wales - believe me, I've tried.

Ten mile walk in North Wales (Mostyn area), fairly level terrain using lanes, hard surface tracks, and fields.  Nothing compared to what I have walked (particularly the Highland Way this year and C2C last year) so, as you say, what could possibly go wrong?  Half mile from the end of my walk across a boggy but level field with heavy rain just starting, nausea, vertigo, chest and angina pain without any warning whatever and no one around. It then took the Welsh Ambulance service three hours to get me off the field and into the nearest A&E. As you say - what could go wrong. Complacency is what gets a lot of people into difficulties whilst out walking fortunately I was well equipped even though, as I set out, I didn't expect any problems.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:28:55, 02/01/18 »
Hi tbown1
Being in Cardiff you could try the Taff Trail http://www.mytafftrail.co.uk/index.php?section=trail#.WkvqZt9l-1s which starts in Cardiff Bay and heads towards Brecon. Walk until you feel you've had enough and catch the bus back. If you like it then do the next section until you eventually finish the whole 55 miles.

Good luck!

Regards Keith

tom83

« Reply #29 on: 21:30:00, 02/01/18 »
I genuinely enjoyed reading this thread. I will generally be walking alone, and some of the advice given is very helpful.

Thanks very much  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy