Author Topic: The app Zello. Useful for hikers?  (Read 935 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The app Zello. Useful for hikers?
« on: 10:16:54, 08/12/17 »
I've started to use Zello and I wondered if it could be a useful asset for hikers? If a Zello site was set up for Hikers and say, you were wandering around in the Lakes and felt the need for some human company, or perhaps you fell and needed some help, or even just wanted to find out if any Walking Forum people were in the local area to have a pint in a local pub, then by just pressing the Zello button someone, or more than one person might answer you? I do not know about this kind of thing but could it be a useful tool?

When I'm hiking and feel like a stop and some entertainment at the same time, I often log into Zello and my favourite is to listen to a really right wing Texas Zello group who just love talking about their guns, their arsenal of guns, their devotion to Donald Trump, who they believe in the Messiah, the New World Order, their views about women and so on. Scary people, but really entertaining! The good thing is its not ordinary radio, managed by a controller in a studio, its just ordinary people having a rant and a rave about everything and everone they don't like. They love Mr Trump though, a wonderful warm and caring human being!

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: The app Zello. Useful for hikers?
« Reply #1 on: 10:43:59, 08/12/17 »
For me, one of the pleasures of being on a a day walk or a multiple-day backpack is in getting away from anything like that!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:47:15, 08/12/17 »
For me, one of the pleasures of being on a a day walk or a multiple-day backpack is in getting away from anything like that!
THIS ditto ditto.
And by not having a smartphone I can cut myself off further.  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:15:27, 08/12/17 »

Me too!  O0

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:11:51, 08/12/17 »

Totally agree  O0
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:15:45, 08/12/17 »
I have to agree with the other replies, thus far.  Sounds like an intrusion, when I generally walk to escape others.  Or set out with others I know.  A chance encounter is often fun too, but effectively being paged whilst out walking, does not fit the bill foe me.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:02:48, 08/12/17 »

Me too.

...and my mobile is switched off nowadays too (got fed up of it buzzing and chirruping every time it got a signal).  Still take it with me in case I need it in an emergency though  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy