Author Topic: A hill to see in the New Year?  (Read 1373 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
A hill to see in the New Year?
« on: 11:45:46, 11/12/17 »
Ey up folks

I know Arthur's Seat up in Scotland is famous for being up on top of to see in the New Year celebrations but are there any others?

Has anyone spend New Year's Eve on the top of a hill to see in the new year?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: A hill to see in the New Year?
« Reply #1 on: 11:58:12, 11/12/17 »

When my daughter was to young for the Hogmanay horoyallies we tend to get up here she and her friends used to go up the hill behind the house (not high, but very good view to effort ratio) to see the new year in, then come home for hot chocolate and a girlie sleepover.  It was fine until her big brother and his friends went up a bit earlier and hid behind a rock to give them a surprise.....

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:19:27, 11/12/17 »
I think people often go up local hills to them - not necessarily high ones. Near here they would head up the Malvern Hills to one of the beacons. We are usually in Cumbria for New Year and I always fancy heading up Heughscar Hill (never sure how to pronounce that one!) to watch the fireworks from the hotels along Ullswater. But we've never made it yet - maybe this year...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:08:39, 11/12/17 »
I spent every single one of my New Years days, for over 20 years, at the beach, Surfing O0

Can't do that any more. :(

So last year I climbed Brown Willy.  Small but perfectly formed.  :) O0

This year I will be climbing something on New years day for sure, as my wife is working.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:44:50, 11/12/17 »
A hill can't see in new year or any other time. it doesn't have eyes.
................I'll just go.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:21:42, 11/12/17 »
A walk up any local hill at midnight to welcome the new beats sitting in front of Jools Holland's Hootananny. Unless it's raining   ;)

During the day there are usually quite a few folk on Scafell Pike if conditions are reasonably clement.
Skip

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:50:15, 12/12/17 »
Haha Islandplodder  ;D   Is that not what all big brothers do?

Sarah Pitht, I wish there was a hill of any sort near me to do this.  Being in the Lakes for New Year sounds cozy - hope you make it up your hill this year  :)

BuzyG, surfing at this time of year?  :o  Brrrrrr!

Pleb, ermmm....yes!  Don't give up the day job  :P

Skip, have to agree.  I find copious amounts of alcohol usually helps with Jools.  That's why I'm looking for little hills to scamper up instead  :)

Lemmy

« Reply #7 on: 10:02:19, 12/12/17 »
I quite fancy Arbury Hill to see in the new year.  I'll see what the weather is like, whether or not I've been drinking, and what plans Mrs Lemmy might have.  Cracking idea though.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:41:48, 12/12/17 »
If I had a hill near me I'd take a little drinki-poos and some nibbles up with me to see in the New Year and watch the firework displays.  The fact that there are no hills near me means I'd have to drive which means I couldn't take my little drinki-poos.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:48:41, 12/12/17 »
I quite fancy Arbury Hill to see in the new year...

Which Arbury Hill? The county top of Northants at grid ref SP 540 587, between Staverton and Badby?

That's a local hill for local people   ;)
Skip

Lemmy

« Reply #10 on: 18:13:04, 12/12/17 »
That's the one Skip.  Real pitchfork and burning torch country.  Some cracking walks about those parts, but not much in the way of peaks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy